Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

I need some really good comebacks!

gardenerzone4
13 years ago

As a proud mama of two cats (and one giant dog), I am always really annoyed whenever I hear supposedly educated, professional people say in meetings, "There's more than one way to skin this cat..."

What an idiotic, antiquated, and inane expression! People tell me it's "just a saying". Well, I say it's long past time to put this one away, for good. Having lived in a country in my past where cats were actually skinned alive and killed in torturous ways, this idiotic idiom conjures up horrific and insulting images. I can't believe that people actually get away with such insensitivity in the corporate office! What's worse, I usually look around and no one else seems perturbed! Is it just my fur that stands on end at the mention of such cruel (and illegal) acts against cats? PETA, ASPCA, and Humane Society--where are you when we need you?

Alright, until we can make the world feline worthy, help me by giving me good comebacks that I can use when people utter this offensive phrase in the future.

In the past, I've retorted with a saccharine smile of daggers, "We don't skin cats in this project." Or looked around with a confused and searching gaze, "Which cat, the calico or the tabby?"

But these aren't witty enough. They aren't edgy enough. They aren't smart enough to let the loser know in charming but poison-coated terms that such expressions are the height of indecency and that s/he should certainly be feeling gauche and embarrassed for uttering such a faux pas of stupidity. For a bouncy comeback, think subtle but public humiliation disguised as a polite joke...

Comments (7)