Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does it take Metacam (meloxicam) to work?

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 0:22

Wolfy, my arthritic Husky-Shepherd was recently switched from Previcox to the generic form of Metacam (meloxicam). Before starting the meloxicam he was given a cortisone shot and we stopped the Previcox for 12 days to get the Previcox out of his system. Today was his first day on meloxicam.

It was bad day insofar as his hips go. I remember it took a few days for the Previcox to take effect; is this true of meloxicam, too? Wolfy is also on Tramadol for pain, but I hope the meloxicam kicks in sooner rather than later. About how long will this take?

Thanks!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does it take Metacam (meloxicam) to work?

I found this on a website: Maximum effect is seen approximately 8 hours after administration. When beginning a trial course of meloxicam, a response may take 3 or 4 days to show. If no response has been seen in 10 days, meloxicam has failed and a different pain medication should be tried. If one NSAID fails, another may well work.

I hope he gets relief soon.

o

poor pup. I hope he gets relief soon, I well know the agony and helplessness of seeing your baby in pain.

o

Thanks for the information and support. I'm happy to report I've been seeing signs of improvement. Hope to see even more over the next day or so.

o

Our Brittany was on Metacam for several years. Within a week she was like a little puppy again - running, jumping, so playful. It lasted for about two years then slowly as she got older it had little affect on her. But she lived to be 14 and I'd say all but the last 2 were quality years.

o

one of my border collies had both ligaments repaired in her hind legs,it worked fine.now about 3-4 years later she has arthritus in one.I put her on Metacam and it was like a miracle,one evening she was almost dragging herself along,next morning she was like two year old and she's 11 this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here