Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbatt_gw

Diaper rash cream okay to use on dogs???

msbatt
15 years ago

My furbaby has a rash on her tummy that she won't stop licking. It looks like a yeast infection, which diaper rash cream cures quite well---but of course, she'll continue to lick it. Will the cream hurt her if she swallows it? It's mostly zinc oxide.

Comments (19)

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Yes it is dangerous if the pup can lick it. I use diaper rash for my bullies face folds but she can't lick it. I believe my vet says its poison if they lick it. I would use an antibacterial or antifungal flush, such as malaseb. This way there won't be much for her to lick.

• Elly_NJ
    15 years ago

Time to go to the vet to see what sort of infection it really is, so you can get the proper treatment.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

What food do you give? Grainy dog foods can lead to hot flashes,rashes and hair loss.

Good dog foods are Innova EVO, Ziwi peak,Orijen,Instincts,Barking at the moon,

Raw diets are also very good.

• Meghane
    15 years ago

most of the time, it's a staph infection so anti-fungals won't help. Also steroids reduce immune system response, so I try to avoid them when possible. However being the weekend it won't hurt to use a topical steroid cream to help keep her comfortable and to reduce further skin damage caused by excessive licking. Then of course, on Monday, off to the vet.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

A diet change may be the best course of action. mom has a dog, shadow that had an itchy butt, she had ol roy then, now she eats EVO,or Orjen- as you can see, big difference in quality of the food..

• mazer415
    15 years ago

Try switching to a better pet food like natural balance, and be sure your dog is not in contact with a newly cleaned carpet or a treated lawn

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

Natural balance is mid-way, grains cause the issues you are discribing, GRAIN FREE if possible.

hope all goes well.

• Elly_NJ
    15 years ago

What grains are in Natural Balance?

• cindyxeus
    15 years ago

Never use zinc oxide solutions on a dog where the dog could lick it off. It is common for dogs to have serious side effects from doing so (Zinc Toxicosis). Next time if you can't get to a vet right away give some oral benedryl.Ask your vet now (so you know in the future) how much would be safe per weight of your dog. I always have Benedryl on hand in my doggie first aid kit.

• msbatt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For those who want to know---my vet okayed the use of diaper-rash cream, and she was fine the next AM. One application was all it took, and 2-3 days later you'd never know she'd had a rash.

• gabro14
    15 years ago

My dog recently had bad skin irritation on her belly and the inside of her hind legs (very dry and flaky, and also red and raw). I first tried A&D ointment, but that only helped a tad. Then I took her to the vet and he gave me a special shampoo which worked wonders. If anyone wants to know the name, I'll be happy to write it here when I get home. Anyway, it's some sort of shampoo for excema (sp?) type conditions. He thinks she got it from some type of irritation (she leaks urine on herself occasionally and also drags her back end due to paresis, so it's probably from that).

My main point is that he also said to use a light cream such as Cetaphil or Eucerin. And it is not bad for them to lick it.

She's 100% better now. So if anyone is having dry skin or irritated skin issues with their dog (especially with this cold weather), try Cetaphil or Eucerin.

• Sheree Moore
    8 years ago

Could you tell me the name of the shampoo the vet gave you. My sweet Molly having the same problem. Thanks!

• Peggy Lewis
    4 years ago

You can use 100% Virgin coconut oil Doesn't matter if they lick it

• SaltiDawg
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"Grain Free" was the rage for a few years - still clinging on.

Perhaps "Grain-inclusive recipe without corn, wheat or soy" will be the next choice .

Many nutritional gurus seem to be lining up on the side of grains not being the cause of everything.

Can we say, "gluten free" as a human analogy? lol

• rosanna leman
    4 years ago

Raw MEAT as nature intended for them is the only way to go period. To make sure tey get all their nutrients feed raw soft bones for small pets ie chicken necks and larger dogs can chew bigger ,and / or make bone broth.Do not give cooked bones

• Stax
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

" Raw MEAT as nature intended for them..." lol

Dogs have always had grains as a part of their diet in nature. I hope you don't harm your dog - or other peoples' dogs with your advice!

• HU-45948435
    3 years ago

Dogs were made to eat meat. Hold a piece of raw meat in one hand and some grain in the other and watch. If you still have any doubts open their mouth and take a look of their teeth.

• Stax
    3 years ago

Kind of like holding out an apple in one hand and a Hershey's Kiss. The choice is not based on which is required nutrition. lol

Grains are part of all canines' diets - in the ruminant, in the bones, in the flesh, etc,