Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
datura_07

diarrhea in kitten week after spayed?

datura-07
13 years ago

My 6 month old kitty was spayed and declawed a week ago. She wouldn't use the Yesterday's News. She cried like mad where the old litter boxes were but wouldn't use any of the other boxes. Funny thing is that the other cats wouldn't do number two in them either - which is nice - less work for me - we live way off the road in the woods so they are going outside now first thing in the morning. Vet said to use oatmeal and finally she went in it. I've never heard a cat cry like she did. It was a real mad cry. Didn't know if she was hurting - constipated or what. Two days ago I was there when she went - it was really runny and then a pile of some thicker stuff. With four cats, I never know who's is who's. Tonight I discovered just really wet diarrhea - it was army green in color. . She must know something is wrong because there was grass (or some of my plants) in it.

I've talked to the vet several times this week about her and vet thinks I worry to much. Is this normal after surgery?

If I need to call the vet,, I need to do it first thing in the morning since they close at noon.

Comments (15)

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Diarrhea is never normal, no matter what the surgical history.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

If your vet isn't concerned, go to another vet........and soon.
    I've never used that litter but looked it up on the web. IMO, and based on what I've seen, I can understand why cats wouldn't like using it. It doesn't look like it'd cover up their pee & poop very well.
    It's also possible the shape and texture of it is painful to her paws. Does the vet have her on any pain meds for her paws?

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    13 years ago

I use Yesterday news with 2 of my cats because it is really dust free. No problem. The other cats (litter box in laundry room) have World's best. It is quite soft on paws, and you may want to try it. You could also just shred some newspapers for the time being until her paws heal.

Now, this said, diarrhea should be addressed, and is probably due to something they used during the 2 surgeries.

I'll end with this (because it is water under the bridge), declawing is simply HORRIBLE and CRUEL. If your cat cries, look no further for a cause. If you wanted a declawed cat, you could have got to a shelter and adopt one that was already declawed. Sorry, but I feel that declawing should be banned.. period.

Hope your cat recovers and.. forgives you.
    Anne-Marie

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    13 years ago

I'm sorry Datura, I knew I would get some reaction, but I had to remind people about how un-necessary and cruel declawing is. There are LOTS of options to declawing. Cutting nails on a regular basis for one (and with a kitten, you can train her) . Scratching poles another big one. No couch is worth declawing a cat. And I'll stand by that, maybe it's because my furniture is cheap. I realize you save that cat, and I commend you. I'll drop the subject.
    Best of luck,
    Anne-Marie

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    13 years ago

Yes, World's best litter is expensive (it lasts much longer), but it is only for a month or so until her paws "heal", and can go back to a regular cat sand without sending her screaming from pain. You owe her that much.
    Anne-Marie

• datura-07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I understand where you are coming from Anne-Marie. We did trim the nails weekly and built two scrating posts for her. Tired to train her - had many talks with her. Enough said on that subject!

I do use World's Best in the three boxes but just put them away the last week. They are back out now.
    I do find it tracks less and doesn't make the dust like the sand type does.
    As with any litter - you need to pull out the "stuff" daily if not more often or they will stratch it into small pieces.
    Have a good weekend.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

Have you taken her to another vet?

If so, & s/he isn't concerned, try adding plain cooked rice & plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling, the ingredients list should be "pumpkin") to her food, about 1/2 & 1/2 with the food.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I won't add to what Anne Marie said about declawing except to say that I concur. I hope you realize that your kitten should never be allowed outdoors with your other cats because you have taken away her natural means of defending herself.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

Sylvia's suggestion of the rice and plain canned pumpkin is a good one.

I hope you can find a more concerned vet, and that your kitty feels better very soon.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Why would you ever think of leaving a declawed cat outside? It is a very cruel procedure to inflict on a cat. I have five cats and have never thought of declawing. Not in a million years. But it's a double dose of cruelty if you let it outside defenseless. Mine all have claws but have never seen the outside.

• datura-07
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is why I stopped coming here to ask for help!

Have lived in our country home for 30 years and my cats do fine outside - climb trees, etc. They just love to sit on the decks and smell the roses. They go out in the winter first thing in the morning but don't like the cold weather and are back in in less than 10 minutes. I lost one last year at 19, and another one eight years ago at 18. I have a 12 , 10, and 7 year old besides this 6 month old one. I know all about the pros and cons of declawing and letting them be outside.
    I take them to the vet whenever they sneeze,etc. You wouldn't believe what my vet bills are but they are my kids and I will pay whatever I have to. Before we had cats, we had three dogs - one was paralyzed due to a slipped disc for 12 of his 16 years (wore diapers and got around in a walker - still loved to play ball) another one was blind her last four years (lived to 15) and our collie had diabetes - two shots a day her last two years.
    In the summer the cats go every weekend to our boat - and yes they all have life preservers and wear them when we cruise (they are in the cockpit while underway and are not allowed to stay in any of the cabins where we can't find them). We have a ditch bag with water and food for them and have practiced our evac plan to get them in the dingy. And the boat is enclosed so they can't get out unless we open the doors and let them out. Several like to walk out on the bow while in the slip but we are always with them. One of our best friends has the boat next to us and he is over in minutes if I think any of them has a problem. AS a matter of fact, When our old kitty last year acted strange - bouncing along the wall - I called him immediately and he said she probably had a saddled thrombous - I had her in the vets office within 15 minutes - and we didn't spare any costs in treating her. Our cats love to travel with us - when I bring in their carriers, they jump in or sit on top of them.

So, we are not abusive parents SO please just try to answer questions and get off our backs on some of these issues.
    I wonder how many other people, who really need help, have stopped coming here for advise.

And after all that, this will be my last post here.

• snooks217
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for the other people's comments! This is a site where people go to ask questions! Don't you think that harassing someone should be banned!!! People don't come here to be harassed if they did they would have called their mothers! LOL Anyway, people please just help someone if you can and keep your opinions to yourself.

• Christel Kruse
    3 years ago

I’m sorry but there are tons of resources/tools out there to educate us how to teach our cats to claw on appropriate surfaces. To protect your couch-double sided tape where she claws and a cat tree next to it. If some cant be patient and work with their cat, they should look into a different kind of pet. Animals are not there to be modified to our preference. They are family and have feelings too. A lot of declawed cats because aggressive biters because they were declawed. They also dev arthritis in the back becomes of the new Way their back is arched. It’s like debarking a dog. Find a different avenue to correct the behavior or find a different pet. It’s just cruel and VERY SELFISH.

• Christene Ilene
    2 years ago

I really wish you wouldn’t of declawed them especially if you live by a wooded area the claws are their only deffence if a preditor was to catch them 😿😾