Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irishdancersgram

Diet for IBS cats....

irishdancersgram
14 years ago

Just wondering what you all feed your cats that are suffering from IBS...Our fur-baby is very hard to feed and I'm having a heck of a time.....

Comments (5)

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I feed mine Natural Balance Duck and Pea - some dry, some canned and sometimes canned Venison and Pea. I've tried a few different things and he likes this much better than anything else and is doing very well on this diet.

• michelle_phxaz
    14 years ago

I feed my cat Hill's Science Diet DD Formula, both canned and dry. He had exploratory surgery last month and has IBS, he is doing well on this food.

• shubhamsoft
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I have suggestion on this, Most of us take supplements and eat right to get all the nutrients necessary to avoid problems and ensure good health for our cat but sometime we didn't get proper information on that, so i would like to suggest you if you are looking for Premium Cat Food then you must visit premium-cat-food dot c o m to get complete information about the cat food.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    14 years ago

shubhamsoft - thanks for the tip. I earmarked it and will go back and look at it. While my animals are not having any problems currently, I do want to know as much as possible about what they eat. I'm always on the lookout for the best food possible for them. I recently found a new pet store that has very knowledgeable staff. I found out that the Science Diet food I was feeding my dogs was mostly grain!!! I always thought they were an exceptional company, but I've learned differently. Things change over the years and you need to keep current. Thanks for the help!!

• harebelle
    14 years ago

Natural Balance Duck & Pea, NB Venison & Pea, and Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets Feast. A little finely minced raw heart (this week was deer heart) once or twice each week. Some cooked plain meats, usually whatever poultry I have or venison, always minced fine. All tinned, no dry food. No grains. Only about a tablespoon-full or two at a time, mixed with a little water to slow her eating. In ten minutes another 1-2 tbl, then ten minutes later more of the same. A 1-2 tbl snack mid-morning, twice that at mid-day, a tbl or 2 mid-aft, thrice that at dinner time and a snack or two before I go to bed. It's the only way to keep her from being sick. She can eat plain Greek yoghurt, so is given about a teaspoon full twice weekly. Don't feed market brands, they're full of carbohydrate fillers and sugars and gelatine. REAL yoghurt is okay, or powdered probiotics (but it's hard to know how much powdered to give the cat). I also offer her a spoonful of plain cooked squash which she LOVES and tolerates very nicely. We've done this odd and rather involved regimen for 3 years, maybe more. She went from having gone nearly skeletal to perfectly proportioned. Her coat is dreamy, her eyes are clear, and she is playful. The vet is impressed. So am I.

Might want to google Dr Lisa Pierson who has kind of a heavy-handed leaning toward raw feeding, but her information is sound and has helped me improve my cats' health through species-appropriate nutrition. Dr Pierson is a veterinarian. Here is another site by practising veterinarians designed to increase awareness of feline nutrition and other health needs: http://www.fnes.org/ Also check Pet Food Direct (link below) for nice clear labelling information for dozens of cat foods. Also meghane, who is a regular contributor here, is a veterinarian who leans toward species-appropriate feeding. Her advice is generously offered, and is excellent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pet Food Direct