Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glade Plug-Ins with parrots?

Posted by oceanna (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 20:55

I know the general rule of thumb about parrots is if you can smell it, don't do it around them. Nevertheless, I am curious if anyone here has safely done Glade Plug-Ins around parrots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glade Plug-Ins with parrots?

I wouldn't use them. I have several birds and knowing how sensitive their respiratory system is, I avoid everything that emits an odor or fumes.

If the air needs 'cleaning', I suggest you use a HEPA air filter/cleaner instead.

o

Thanks, Annz. No, the air is fine. I just like the house to smell nice and have very much missed being able to use scents in the house over the last 15 years. sigh

o

I would not. I lost my 25 year old African Grey years ago. He was fine and then he died in my hands. To this day I have no clue ,but he lived in the kitchen where I cooked. I blame it on Teflon although I never burned anything that day or any other day that I remember.

o

I wouldn't either. I don't use teflon cookware, even though my bird resides at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen.

Personally I don't like strong perfumey smells, but if you do, could you not get the same effect from fresh cut flowers, roses or lilacs for instance. I'm not positive these would be safe, but I suspect they would be safer than scents produced in a chemical plant. I'd probably not let birdie nibble on them though.

o

Lily, I'm so sorry to read of your loss.

Spedigrees, I'm sure flowers would be safe. Maybe potpourri would be ok (if all natural).

Before I had parrots I frequently applied essential oils to light bulb rings, but not since.

Thanks everyone, seems unanimous, so I won't. Oh well, can't blame a girl for asking.

o

I feel your pain. If you like cinnamon you can simmer some food grade sticks in a pot of water on the stove but not much else is safe. Parrots are so delicate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here