Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
odd flesh on cat below rectum

Posted by luvdogs (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 20:47

Howdy.

I adopted an obese cat from the local shelter. I noticed that she was having some trouble keeping herself clean so i was rinsing off her back end.

Right underneath her rectum is what looks like labia flesh - two identical rounded flap-like pieces. Below the rectum and above the urinary orifice.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: odd flesh on cat below rectum

OP here.

After looking on the web, i think it's anal glands.

Thank God for the internet!!

o

OP updating this post- as if anyone cares - LOL

The vet said the fleshy pieces are nothing - just a bit of an oddity i guess. Not anal glands - too far below the anal positioning of the glands.

o

Yes, I was following it, wondering where you went from that conclusion, since if it were prolapsed glands, I'd think it would not be good to leave them exposed. I've never seen or heard of this oddity. Can always learn something. Thanks for the update.

o

Thanks for letting us know, and thanks for adopting a shelter cat -- she's a lucky girl!

o

My female cat has visually noticeable "parts" there too.

Good idea to ask the vet. We once had a dog that got an infection down there so it's just best to make sure she's a little different and not having some kind of issue.

I hope your new kitty is turning out to be a wonderful companion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here