Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Can we say G A S

And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new Boston Terrier!

Seriously, this is incredible. All day yesterday I went around thinking some doggie had pooped and I hadn't found it yet, but today I realize what it is.

I will be sitting in the living room and smell something wafting from the bedroom, yep, it's the new girl.

She has/had diarrhea. I gave her Imodium today and she gets no wet food although she is drinking a lot of water, to my eyes.

Still, this odor is ferocious. My dogs have never had gas ever.

Will it go away, what can I do?

I know it's the muzzle/gulping air, etc but still!!

She is eating nothing but Wellness Super 5 chicken dry (although she had ONE small McD's french fry at lunch. I went and got Dad a hamburger today)

And, no, I don't 100% know yet if we are keeping her.

Comments (21)

• Ninapearl
    12 years ago

you can give her a gas-x capsule before her meals to see if that helps. it's possible she could have an intolerance to chicken. i know you haven't had her long and it might be that she needs to adjust to her new (dare i say permanent?) routine. also, a change in water can cause g.i. upsets.

she sure looks like a sweetie!!

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I wonder if she is still processing some of whatever she ingested when she was on the streets? Just a thought.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Could be the new diet and the stress of the change. Have you started on those little puppy booties yet? You do know you have to knit 4 of each color? Lol! :)

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

She needs to settle down and get used to her new life and food. Give it time.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, I'll give it time. From what I have read, however, BT's are notorious for clearing a room.

And, I do not think we are going to keep her. A little heart wrenching but we have two dogs. The decision is not related to the gas!!

• calliope
    12 years ago

I think Elly is probably right, as are you. Some breeds have more delicate stomachs and react to diet changes and new situations. I used to babysit my DD's ridgeback and when they moved to the states, I picked him up at the airport and kept him until the rest of the family arrived, and that meant I had to switch him to the food available here. OMG............he could have floated a dirigible.

I don't need another dog either, but if I lived closer to your location, I'd be so tempted to drive over and scoop her up. LOL

• jomuir
    12 years ago

no advice, but have to say what a cutie!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I know, jomuir. I am so torn, I know we really do not need, cannot handle, another dog right this moment but I decided I would let dh make the final decision and he echoed what my logical side is saying. My heart says keep her but I know if I can find her a great home it will be ok.

And, when we do get another dog someday, I will want a Boston Terrier! (rescue, of course) I have anyways found them irresistibly adorable.

My two older dogs, a Jack Russel and a JR/beagle mix, get along just fine with her, btw.
    There is me, the pack leader, the number one dog, the number two dog, and then the Boston, who is about number 47.

• alan_s_thefirst
    12 years ago

Being in a new household is very stressful, and that can cause gas in humans and dogs alike. She may also have an underlying illness or may have been on the street for a while and eating garbage.

She also may have parasites - worms etc - so it would be worth worming her provided she's well enough (and worm your other dogs, too.)

Lastly, and I shouldn't even have to say this ;) is no human food for dogs - WE shouldn't even be eating McDonalds' fries, so it's definitely a no-no for dogs.

If my dog was eating dry pet food (well all the stuff I ever tried) she'd have gas, vomiting and worse, it doesn't agree with her. She's on a raw diet. This new dog just may not be used to that type of food.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alan!

• vicki7
    12 years ago

I already have 2 spoiled schnauzers, but would take her in a heartbeat (only half kidding). I live in Ga.

• mazer415
    12 years ago

Put a drop of beano on her food. Probelm solved

• seashellsandpearls
    12 years ago

No human food? But "raw' food is fine, you say. What is the raw food.. Alien food? ;)

Seriously, though...my dogs eat nothing but human food... I'd like to find something that can be cooked for them.. something that has sweet potatoes in the mix.. with what else? That dog bliss video that was just recently posted (about the 22 dogs, among other critters) showed him making some sort of concoction on the stove for all the dogs.. all I saw was sweet potatoes.... couldn't tell what else it contained. My 2 dogs love sweet potatoes.. we don't eat rice in this house.. so don't really want to have to buy it or cook it.

Sea

• cynthia_gw
    12 years ago

Agree - Food isn't just for humans. Call some of it junk food if you will, but let's not assume all unextruded food is just for people. My dogs eat organic food not kibble, I eat (mostly) organic food not kibble.

Anyhoo! Back to the subject - I suspect worms too.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeh, my dogs live for the morning egg or chicken. They won't get out of bed until I prepare the plates. Seriously, it's a game, I try to get the plates out (corelle glass, they make pleasant dinging noises) so I can then clank them together but at the first tiniest little noise, they come running.

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

Someone please come to my house and cook for me!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those who might not have seen my other thread, I took her to the vet the day after finding her and she is parasite and worm free. She was also given some oral worm medicine there too.

• bean_counter_z4
    12 years ago

My GSD was on Science Diet when I got him. Tried switching to Wellness brand kibble, my dog could not tolerate it. Try another brand of food, get one with no chicken. Try Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Caster Pollex. Your dog is just not able to digest something in the Wellness food.

• Pieonear
    9 years ago
    I learned to avoid any dog food that included chicken for my Boston. Something about chicken made the gas awful.
  • User
    9 years ago

I will echo alan...she may have parasites. They can cause awful gas and diarrhea. Even though you're not keeping her, you might pass the info along so her new adopters can get her tested for parasites/worms. Gosh, she's cute!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope she is very happy in her home. This was several years ago, but the Boston Terrier Rescue Association took her over and she was adopted by 2 lawyers in Atalanta. Before the transfer, she developed a terrible eye problem, and had to have emergency surgery at a dog ophthalmologist in Athens, GA. The rescue group paid for the surgery, they were fantastic. I kept her for 6 weeks, then towards the end took her to Athens for the surgery where the rescue took over. I still miss her but I did the right thing for my two dogs by not keeping her. They were stressed by her and how much she sat in my lap.