Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?

amicus
10 years ago

I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something 2 Vets haven't diagnosed. My daughter adopted two rescue dogs a few years ago. The male was neutered and the female was spayed before she got them. For almost a year, the 3 year old female has been having a faded rust color discharge. If she's lying on the sofa or her dog pillow, we often find a discoloration when she gets up.

The 'leaks' only cover an area about the size of 2 quarters, but they do have an unpleasant odor. For hygenic reasons we always wipe off any spots immediately. However, during the course of the night, she leaves several spots on her dog pillowcase, so it must be washed at least every other day. The male dog is always sniffing her and sometimes tries to hump her, although we know nothing can happen because they are both fixed.

My daughter has taken her dog to two Vets, and neither gave any diagnosis (or seemed concerned) about the discharge, as all bloodwork and exams came back perfectly normal. (Navi acts perfectly normal, other than having the discharge.) Do any of you have a spayed young female dog that has a discharge? What did your Vet say about it? Thank you kindly for your help.

Comments (16)

• joepyeweed
    10 years ago

I've never heard of that.

Its great that two Vets ruled out anything serious.... but they didn't offer any suggestions for addressing the less or non-serious issue of living with a dog with a stinky discharge.

I don't know how many vets that you have available in your area, but I would keep looking for one that at least understands that even though its not serious, its still a problem.

It might be something that low dose hormone pill could help reduce????

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Can you see what hole it's coming from? Anal gland discharge is that color and has a bizarre and bad odor... but it comes from anus. Not sure what brownish would be coming from the vulva. Might have someone scope here looking for the source if its vulvar... if its anal, may need to just get her anals expressed more often, or worst case scenario, remove them (they serve no function).

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

PS. Just because a dog has been spayed, does not necessarily mean it was done properly. I have 'respayed' a number of dogs that were obviously sloppily done the first time around... but these dogs have full heats and vulvar discharges tend to be only every 6-9 months, not constant. Leave ANY ovarian tissue inside, and it will be like the dog was never spayed at all (though pretty hard to get pregnant if the uterus is missing)... males will definitely be interested in these females, but again, only seasonally.

• salpal777
    9 years ago

The same thing happens with my 2 year old spayed pit/boxer who was spayed before we rescued her. The first time it happened I woke up and she (sleeps next to me on the bed) was licking it up I couldn't tell where it came from but the smell was very unpleasant but not a fecal oder so I thought it was vomit. Then tonight (again on the bed) she started licking the side of my pants and thank god it was just a small dime size spot unlike the last time it was the size of my hand but it definitely did not come from her mouth. If anyone has any idea what this is please help.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I agree with Iz to make sure it's not just anal gland discharge. The discharge is extremely foul smelling and to me it smells like dead rotting fish. When you said it has an unpleasant odor this is the red flag to me. This stuff REEKS! It is brown in color too. This could explain why the vets aren't diagnosing her because it's not coming from the vulva but rather just the anal gland. My dog has issues with this and if her stool isn't hard enough to push out the gland then she will leak that stuff out when she's sleeping. She will lick at it too as soon as it comes out. My guess is this is really what your culprit is. You can have it checked to see if it's full, the vet or groomer will do it for you. It's supposed to expel when they use the bathroom but for some dogs, it doesn't.

• magsnj
    9 years ago

To be more specific, to me, anal gland discharge smells like rust. I notice it sometimes when my dogs are licking they're behind, and I smell rust. I've never seen any actual discharge though (you can see it though if you Google images it). To relieve this I do two things. A hot compress several times a day to their behind (sometimes I do it with Epsom salts...you'd think the dog would run, but you can almost hear him sigh in relief) and I add probiotics enzymes to their food. This clears it in a couple of days. Here's more to read about it:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/05/16/dog-anal-glands.aspx

A change in diet could help. I'd strongly suggest a natural approach instead of having them expressed.

• magsnj
    9 years ago

If it doesn't smell like that, keep searching....

• magsnj
    9 years ago

LOL.... maybe my Ben is a more delicate flower. :). Or maybe I haven't smelled enough dead fish.

• prissyro
    9 years ago

My 3 year old German Shepard is having that brownish discharge and has an odor but not horrid and its definitely not coming from her bottom. I just noticed it today and goes to the vet tomorrow evening but not sure how or what the cause is. She has no other symptons eats fine drinks normally plays and seems to feel just fine (we have 4 other German Shephards). Oh and I have smelled anal glands when they "let go" and that is the most foul smelling, it clears a room quick.

• Gwen Goodwin
    7 years ago

It's called "hypoplastic vulva." Some breeds are more prone than others, but it usually occurs either in puppies or spayed dogs. Brownish discharge with a urine type smell. Can result in a yeast infection, urinary tract infection, etc. Google it and there is a lot of good info about cause, symptoms, treatment, etc.

• lawannag
    6 years ago

My GSD has the same discharge, not from her behind. She is 4 weeks out from getting 'fixed' at the age of 3 1/2, just finished antibiotics to rule out an underlying infection or UTI (urine test had no infection). Any feedback from a Vet that is helpful? I have another appointment next week but he doesnt seem concerned but this is new only since the surgery. Incision healed perfectly.

• Janet Orseno
    5 years ago

I adopted a 3 year old pointer 10 days ago. She had a litter of 7 puppies up for adoption and she still was full of milk. The was from a puppy mill in Mississippi. Well, I have this putrid smelling discharge on her bed and have spent 10 days figuring out where it is coming from. Went back to the shelter and they just blew it off and said she was probably in heat when they spayed her. She is 15 lbs underweight and her boobs were almost touching the ground. I don't know if I should spend a lot of money seeing a vet or return her at this point. Sounds like this discharge will continue from the posts.

• Ninapearl
    5 years ago

you rescued this dog, i'm sure with the intentions of keeping her. she NEVER should have been spayed if she was in heat, it should have waited 2-3 months post heat. unbelievable that a shelter would do this.

have you taken her to a vet at all?? if not, that's what you should do, at the very least. if you don't want to "spend a lot of money" for vet care for your dog, you probably shouldn't be a dog owner. dogs are for life. i'm sorry but you don't sound like you are making much of an effort to see what this problem is and what can be done to take care of it.

yes, vet care can be expensive, i know because i have 4 great danes. if this was your child, would you not take it to the doctor right away? you brought this dog home, you owe it to her to do everything possible to make sure she is healthy.

• Ann Lewis
    4 years ago

Hear hear Janet Orseno, hasn't she been through enough? A dog should be part of your family and you are her pack. She doesn't need to be abandoned again.

And the shelter doesn't sound like a place where she would be looked after well and rehomed with care.

On the vulval discharge subject: I have just realised my dog (also a rescue who was probably spayed very young) has the same condition ( hypoplastic vulva ) because she is wearing a cone collar and can't clean herself. Thank you Gwen Goodwin for giving me a term I can Google. It has never given her any problem before, just a bit more licking that area that usual. But now I know to look out for signs of a worse infection and to make sure she doesn't put on weight in the future.

• April Wells
    3 years ago

Definitely Anal glands I have to squeeze my two pits anal glands at least once a month because they fill up and sometimes they can't Expel the fluids It's gross but it saves me a trip to the vet you just hold their tell up and on either side of their anus just press and with a napkin covering the anus and you'll see the Brown liquid come out it's awful but perfectly normal And also it relieves a lot of pressure good luck!!