Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Male diabetic cat still urinating outside the box.

lisa11310
11 years ago

Hi all. My altered 9 yr old cat is still urinating outside the box. Not everytime, and he never deficates anywhere but IN the box. I have tried everything. he is regular on his shots most days. The box is scooped as soon as it has been soiled. I try very hard with his diet but there are 3 other cats here so I know he gets into their food sometimes.
We have torn up carpet bleached and sealed the floor and laid tile. He always goes right beside the box or over the side of the box. Never has found another corner, always right next to the box. He does not have a urinary infection or crysatls. He is on RX food, tried the cat attract litter , etc. . Going to switch to a HUGE cat box but if that does not work I am afraid his days are numbered. He is a 4 paw declaw (we didn't do) 9 yr old diabetic. I need options! Please help! Thanks.

Comments (13)

• Elly_NJ
    11 years ago

Lisa, have you tried doggy wee wee pads? I always put them around the litter boxes for my old cats that miss the box, and they absorb well and are disposable.

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes elly & murraysmom. I have been using the "blue pads" used in nursing homes etc. fold them in 1/2 so there is an absorbent side both under the box facing up and facing the floor. Hubby thinks this gave abby the feeling it was OK to go there. I must admit he has had more out of the box issues since I have been using the pads. I really don't have a problem with the quick clean up with no oder left behind but Hubby is trying to remodel the area and is having a hard time dealing with it. I have tried to say maybe it hurts him to step in to the box sometimes but I am told that since he never "poos" out of the box..well you know. I am afraid this is behavioral. This cat spent the first two years of his life isolated 80% of the time in a laundry room &then in the basement. (my Husbands Mother) she did rescue him as a tiny kitten from a window well. After we had him for a while she did admit he did have a tendancy to pee next to the box. NICE! I think it was attention seeking to keep her around longer having to clean up. When he was an only cat here there was no problem. Additional cats over the years....well you tell me?I also know form years with cats, big orange male tabbys have more potty issues than any other cats I have ever had the privledge to love.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I don't believe the cat is doing it because it's easier with the pads there, nor for any of the other reasons mentioned.
    I think you summed it up when you said there was no problem when he was the only cat. How many litter boxes do you have for the 4 cats? Ideally, you should have 1 box per cat, plus an extra one.

If remodeling is going on in, or near, the room where the litter boxes are, that could play a part in his behavior but the fact he's diabetic is probably also a factor. The following was taken from another site: "Because so much urine is being produced, some diabetic cats will urinate in
    unusual places (i.e., outside of the litter box). Some cats will also show weakness, lethargy, vomiting, and changes in
    behavior." Is the vet monitoring your cat's meds and is the cat urinating more than usual?

Since he has a lot to deal with I hated to hear his days are numbered if this isn't corrected .
    I would try to relocate the litter box(s) away from the remodel area, definitely try a larger box, and keep the pee pads around his box.
    Try to explain to DH that the cat is dealing with remodeling, diabetes, 3 other cats in his home, and an owner that's not happy with him.

• californiangardener
    11 years ago

I feel your pain. I really do. My old cat growing up had a similar problem, and was also diabetic. Everyone has already made some good suggestions. The only one I can think of is to also put down wee wee pads around the box and also a good dose of feliway diffusers? I have no idea if that will work, but it's worth a shot since you are at the end of your rope.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

the suggestion about number of litter boxes is excellent. I like the diffuser suggestion as well. Additionally, if there is nothing medically abnormal about your cat's urine (other than having glucose in it) I would agree that anxiety is likely to be the primary factor and reducing it makes the most sense. I have used Fluoxetine (aka Prozac) on dozens of feline patients in similar situations and so far nearly 100% success rate (as long as no obvious complications). It can be made into a liquid by a compounding pharmacy and has no obvious side effects. Worst case scenario is it doesn't help. Discuss this with your vet.

• trancegemini_wa
    11 years ago

"Never has found another corner, always right next to the box. "

Have you seen him actually wee outside the box? Perhaps the wee is going over the edge of the box instead while he is standing in the litter box. My old cat has started doing this and I suspect it's from arthritis and she can't crouch properly anymore so she actually is using the litter box but more and more she wees right over the edge of it and it doesn't end up in the box at all sometimes. I've seen her do it so I know she isn't deliberately weeing next to it, and her poop always lands in the box because of well, gravity, it doesnt coming streaming out like wee.

This post was edited by trancegemini_wa on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 23:13

• lisa11310
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I am going to try using one of those steraline tubs and cut a hole in the side for easy entry. I cant really move the box, the bathroom is to small and this box is in the only room that does not have carpet, there are several more down here in the basement but he does not come down here much. My two female cats stay down here most of the time (my office is down here) they do pick on him (they have claws) he outweighs them by a ton but he's kinda a wimp. So the 3 other cats use mostly the boxes down here but will also use "his" box upstairs. He does at times come down here and wee outside the boxes. It's a sealed concrete floor that slopes to a drain I can just wash down with water Yes we have seen him actually do the deed however he does often wee over the top of the box too. I noticed the health food store in town has that feliway and I will try that as well. I am laughing at the Prozac, maybe just give it to hubby instead LOL, seriously though will talk to the vet about it! Honestly this is hubbys favorite cat and the only one of the 4 HE brought home. .Abby is safe till spring at least, it is 0 outside now and the ground is frozen solid, I heard him tell Abby he better "get it together before he can dig him a hole" he calls him Junior so he really does love his cat.I have told hubby he will have to make that decision because I will not, his response was "you want me to make the decision so you can hate me forever for killing the cat" UUUGGGGG I wish the cat had a 401K, pension and SS......we would have no problem.

• trancegemini_wa
    11 years ago

Lisa is there a separate bath in the room you could put the tray in? I had to move my cats litter box into the bath a couple of years ago after we got a pup, because our poor cat could not use it in peace otherwise. It's actually worked out to be a blessing since my cat has developed this issue of peeing over the side, it mostly just goes down the drain and then I just wipe it all down with disinfectant so it's like a containment area :) but it does make cleaning up the wee much quicker and easier when she does it, so that could be an option.

• HU-827919934
    5 years ago

Hi - I’m reading this thread and have tried EVERYTHING - including Prozac. Nothing is working. Just wondering if you found a solution? (Other than putting him down?)

• annztoo
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread......but am answering the above question.

The majority of the time peeing outside the box is due to environmental causes. Look hard at the living situation and determine if the cat is stressed by other animals in the house, humans mistreating the cat, and other cats or animals outside the house. All these will cause your cat to mark territory or react to stress.

In lisa's case she needs to keep the cats separated if the other 3 cats harrass him and his diabetes levels need to be checked. "He is regular on his shots most days" is not consistent treatment. I would also try a large litter box and other (fine grain) cat litters since he's a 4 paw declaw (horrors!). Doesn't matter if he uses the box now for pooping.....it's worth a try.

• ll_9
    4 years ago

Old thread......but, I too am answering.

Try using an angular/corner litter box and pasting a thin plastic cutting board around the inside perimeter to add height so that cat won't pee over when standing. Also, put the box on thick cardboard so that if he does you can see it readily and just throw it out. Also, try a large see through bin with a cover (mine is Homz 112 qt from Walmart), cut a half circle hole about 4 in from bottom and 4 in from sides & use it for a litter box. My cats have plenty of room to go into it, and they don't feel threatened by another cat sabotaging it because they can see through it. I have 2 orange tabbies - one is/was a large male diabetic cat also.

• HU-140603474
    2 years ago

I have the same problem. Sam is 6 , recently diagnosed with diabetes (4 minths ago). he is on insullin and proper food. he will pee anywhere and everywhere, litter box included. The worst is on my kitchen counters and stove, no matter if there is tinfoil and and/or just full of kitchen stuff he’ll still jump up and pee. i have pee pads all ocer and donetimes he’ll go on them but im losing my mind and $ on paper towels and sanitizing cleaners not to nention the stink. cant burn incense forever.

im desparate, if anyone has helpful info id be forever grateful, i hate being pissed at my kitty:(