Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo60

Bud, the cat, is trouble with a capital T !!!

booboo60
11 years ago

We have a male, neutered, tabby named Bud. He is a beautiful boy and is now 2 yrs. old. He is a talker, which I think is cute, I can talk to him and he always "talks" back. However, we also have a spayed female cat, 7 yrs. old. They tolerate each other, I find them together on a bed sleeping sometimes but most of the time Bud is a terror! He comes up behind her and tackles her, tries to sniff her rear end ( which does not go over well), sneaks up on her, etc. I have seen her initiate the play time some of the time but mostly he is too rough. How can I get him, train him, to leave her alone? He is also a wild man in the kitchen, gets on the counter, in the sink, dining room table, etc. He is a handful! Any ideas?

Comments (6)

• laurief_gw
    11 years ago

Bud needs another young male playmate. Male cats tend to play much rougher than most females can or will tolerate. If you adopt a male kitten for Bud, they'll most likely end up best buds (pun intended). Do not, however, adopt another adult male, or you'll likely run into territorial and/or aggression problems. Of course, this won't cure the wildman in the kitchen problem. In fact, it'll probably only double that particular problem. But it should make life easier for your female.

Laurie

• booboo60
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Gosh, we just can't get another pet, guess I will have to think of other things....if I play with him and get him worn out he is much better behaved. Cest la vie!

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

Our male and female cats play together and for the most part, I find the females to be the aggressors. They don't seem to know when it is time to stop. They definitely rule the males! Also, the females are the only ones who hunt regularly so I think they are definitely dominant (at least here at our farm they are.)

I think your two will eventually learn to play in an acceptable manner once they decide who is in charge. As far as the bad manners go, I find a water spray bottle does wonders.

• Elly_NJ
    11 years ago

Have you a nice cat condo he can climb and play in? Sometimes that redirects him and the other cat may start playing too.

• californiangardener
    11 years ago

I agree on a cat condo. That does help with the climbing a little bit. I also suggest feliway diffusers. Sometimes that helps to "calm" a cat down considerably too - even if your cat isn't spraying or clawing - it still mellows your cat out as well. And good old fashion play session to tire him out is also helpful too.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

Get him one of those wands with feathers at the end of it and play with him. You will wear him out!! You may need to get extra feather replacements in case he catches it and tears it up. I have to keep mine closed away in a closet or else my cat will drive me crazy until I play with him with it.

The one I have is called Da Bird and it has kept my cat busy for hours. He used to annoy my other cat, who was 12 at the time and she did not appreciate that. But once he had this toy, he started to leave her alone.