Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pls Help me figure out what's wrong with my dog

Posted by patrice607 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 17:57

Our 3 year old Maltese has had several episodes where he gets stiff and is unable to walk. This has happened 6 times and lasts anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

Sometimes he looses control of his bowels. He is always alert, but seems scared and is trembling. We showed our vet a video and she thinks it's a gastrointestinal issue. We are very careful with his diet.

Any suggestions???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pls Help me figure out what's wrong with my dog

Best suggestion: please get him to the vet on Monday.

Good luck. Hope he's OK.

o

Maltese dogs are prone to Epilepsy and Hydrocephalus. I suggest you get that little dog to another vet ASAP. :)

o

She already said she took the dog to the vet or showed the vet a video of the episode. Perhaps, just as with people, you may want to get a second opinion. Not all vets are created equal, it took three different vets before one diagnosed my dog's thyroid condition! To me it sounds like a seizure.

o

Can you share the video? I ask because when you say 'stiff and unable' to walk - that could also be a fear reaction. It would be helpful to have context as to when this happens and what you and he are doing when it occurs.

o

Have tick borne diseases been ruled out? 4DX will show if the dog has anaplasmosis; should find out immediately.

o

It sounds like a seizure, especially the loss of bowels.

Does he seem disorientated and very hungry and thirsty for a several minutes afterwards?

o

I absolutely agree this might be a seizure. Please look at the website for epi guardian angels. You can google it. There are many variations of a seizure and that specifically sounds like one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: epi guardian angels website

o

Update on the dog?

o

Grand Mall Seizure to be exact! They do not Die from them and the are med's that will help control them. You need to go to a vet to get them. He will need to know how often they happen and how bad they are. Not easy to find the cause. But there might be a trigger that brings them on. What happens just before a Seizure? Keep a record of just before it happens.
This might help pinpoint the cause! Say calm if you can and don't grab the dog they can hurt you and not mean to. Hope this helps! Vet Tech Gayla

o

This sounds like a seizure disorder. I've had 2 dogs with it (both elderly, not maltese).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here