Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
two25acres

Any English Bulldog owners?

two25acres
12 years ago

It's been a couple of years since we lost our husky and we are now considering a new dog. History, we are 50 and 60, living in farm country on a couple of acres in southeast Wisconsin. We have no children. It gets very cold and can get quite hot in the summer. For our husky winter was great and summers we shaved her, she loved that. We also have 10 cats, all inside never outside. The roads are pretty rural out here, not alot of traffic but the nit wits that use the roads (unless they live out here) tend to drive fast and wild. Mostly young people who have to get everywhere in a hurry. Anyway, we have plenty of land to walk a dog or use a runner as we did with our husky, when she needed a good run I couldn't possibly keep up with her. Our cats are a mix of passive/aggressive. The two boys aren't a problem, they are more afraid of their own shadows than anything. The girls on the other hand can get aggressive especially two tabbies named cheech and chong. Our husky was here before the cats. People dropped them off, they'd get pregnant before we could get them to a vet and so the story goes. All were born to ferals but we were able to get the litters in and off to be fixed in a timely fashion. We started with 14 but have lost 3 and found a home for one. They run in ages 6-9 years at this point. They are well set into their routines, 8 are kept in the basement while my husband and I work, then they get to come up for the evening and back to bed/basement at 9:40. If we're late, they let us know. 2 are upstairs all the time as they are diabetic and require insulin 2x's daily. I'd like to have a puppy and start it off young with the cats versus trying to bring an adult in. We need a dog that won't shed profusely, had that with our husky. Not high strung although we understand puppies are but my research on bulldogs tells me they mellow as they get older. Can anyone make any suggestions? We are not looking necessarily looking for a purebred/akc registered but so far do like the breed. I thank you in advance for your input.

Comments (5)

• annzgw
    12 years ago

The link below will give you basic info on the breed, and do take note of their potential health problems. If you don't get a puppy from a reputable breeder then you're likely to end up with a dog with one or more of the problems.

If your home is heated well in the winter and cooled in the summer an EB would do OK, otherwise, they don't do well at all if too cold or too warm.
    My DM has a friend that loves the breed and she lost her dog to the heat and humidity after Hurricane Katrina hit. They had no power for 10 days and couldn't afford to take the dog elsewhere.

Also, be prepared to bring pay $$$$ for a puppy since they are an expensive breed.
    Personally, I wouldn't rule out an adult dog just because you have cats. Rescues that use foster parents usually expose the dogs to cats in order to test whether they're compatible. With an adult dog you'll quickly know the personality and temperament of the dog you're getting, whereas with a puppy it's a guessing game. Plus, if you and your husband both work away from home I think you'll find caring for a young puppy to be a lot of work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulldog

• two25acres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the link and your insight. I had thought that a puppy might be more difficult and my husband and I do work away from home but we only work 4 days a week and with differing schedules one of us is actually home more than we are away. I was more concerned with the heat and cold outside than inside. I keep the house comfortable. I was hoping to have a dog that could go to the gardens with me in the warmer months. Keeping me company and alerting me to strangers as we are out in the middle of nowhere. When I shaved my husky I had to keep her out of the sun as well but maybe this breed poses more of an issue. Thank you again and we will continue to research them.

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

I loved looking at all the pictures on that site.....One of my sons has a Bulldog and he's the love of their lives.....This is the 3rd one he's owned, the other 2 living beyond their years....Their Kenny is so darn ugly, he's cute....They make excellent family pets and I think I'd lean more to getting a puppy with all the cats you have...Although, as mentioned, a lot of the dogs have grown up with other pets, so do your homework.....Kenny is strickly an inside fur kid, he has to be the biggest, laziest fur baby around but I think if anyone coming to the door, he'd just have to look at them and they'd run.....Of course they'd never know, he's a gentle as a baby.......Bulldog pups are going for a very high price around here so there again, be prepared, but, ask my son, they are so worth it......Good luck.....

• Elly_NJ
    12 years ago

Bulldogs are precious, but they have many health issues.

Not the least is respiratory. They cannot take much exercise, certainly not running.

Would you consider a mixed breed? The nice thing about a mixed breed is they have elements of their various breeds. I always wanted a collie shepard mix.

Now I have a Lab (adopted through a shelter. I would never buy a dog from even a reputable breeder.) Labs have lovely dispositions, love exercise but also to hang out. I got Lucy when she was 5 years old, so her personality was already established. I did not want a puppy.

Good luck whatever you choose!

• two25acres
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the input but it looks like we'll have to put our dog finding on hold. My mom's husband has dimentia and it has really gotten bad recently. He left the house last week and was missing for 10 hours. They found him but keeping him safe and my mom in healthy and safe is going to have to take priority for now. Thank you again. I do want a bulldog put, one that looks like my husband.