Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
risami

what are the chances of a cat surviving a seizure?

Risami
12 years ago

friday night i had a scare with my cat havnig a seizure at least i think it was one it lasted for about 1 minuted. this was her first seizure ever also. she was twitching on the ground drool came out of her mouth i thought she was dying. i'm taking her to the vet for blood tests. i'm wondering how can i afford a mri? they are thousands of dollars? what did you guys do to afford it? please help i don't want her to die. even though she looks 100% healthy i'm scared cause of that seizure

Comments (16)

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

Talk to the vet; the blood tests should tell the story, & I'll bet you won't need an mri.
    I wish you the best.

• GeeWhiskers
    12 years ago

I used to work for a vet. We saw cats/dogs come in with seizures. Usually did blood tests to diagnose. Often the seizures could be controlled with a (relatively) inexpensive medication.

Hope your kitty is doing fine now.

• Risami
    Original Author
    12 years ago

today she got a blood test the vet said it may not be needed but i told him it would relieve me to know how healthy she is. The physical exam seems great so i'm waiting for the results. this is a one time deal seizure she can't have medication not unless its frequent so hopefully for the best. i'm just hoping these seizurse aren't bad though is what im worried about.

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

How old is your cat? Most younger cats with seizures, that do not have Leukemia or other viruses, end up with a diagnosis of epilepsy and most are easily controlled with medications. Not actually ever had a client get an MRI on their cat though I'm sure there are some that do. MRIs cost about $1000, and there is the additional cost of exam and CSF tap usually, so it works out to be around $1500. I would guess that about 90% of those MRIs are normal (no diagnosis).

• Risami
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my cat is about 4 will be 5 in feb, can that happen cats developing epilepsy? even if its just one seizure? i'm afraid my cat can't get medication not unless it is more frequent. she hadn't a seizure episode again and i can see why they say no on medication i wouldn't want to kill her with medication she doesn't need.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

I had a dog that had a seizure once. The Vet said it may be the beginning of many or may never happen again. It never happened again. I hope your cat will be as lucky. It is a frightening thing to watch.

• Risami
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes i hope i do get lucky and i hope no major problems for my cat.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I'm dealing with this situation right now. Kitty had one seizure about three weeks ago(?) I posted about it, but can't quite remember the date. Anyhow, his blood work showed abnormal kidney levels and his blood pressure was HIGH. Vet said it could be that the high blood pressure is causing the elevated kidney levels OR kidney problems could be causing the high blood pressure. The vet put him on BP pills (1/4 of a small pill) once a day.

One week later, his blood pressure was down to half of what it was. So we are continuing the BP pills and will do additional blood work in three weeks to check the kidney levels. So far, no more seizures, no more "flopping" of his hind quarters and acting dizzy. He eats and plays and acts 99% normal (he's 13.5 yrs.old). Will just have to wait and see what the blood work reveals.

• Risami
    Original Author
    12 years ago

appearntly i was suppose to get the blood results yesterday and i caleld and they said they will call when they come in. i hate being unpatient i think i'm paranoid i feel like my cat is acting strange but then again she is acting normal and i'm just seeing things that paranoids me after that seizure episode friday night.

• Risami
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well blood work is perfect so i guess this seizure could be a one time thing only hopefully my cat is still ok but i'm keeping an eye on her just incase.

• renee_fl
    12 years ago

Years ago my two year old cat had a grand mal seizure. Bloods tests were run and everything was normal. Three months later, almost to the day, he had another one. He ended up having a seizure approximately every three months. Each seizure was different - some were mild, some were not. My vet told me that he now had a pattern and would have seizures the rest of his life. She also told me that unless he had two seizures within a one month period she wasn't going to put him on meds. I am happy to say that he had seizures every three months for a period of about three or four years and then they stopped. He lived a long and happy life.

I know how scared I was for my kitty when he had his first seizure. The thing that you have to remember is that your kitty is not in any pain no matter how bad the seizure looks or how loud he yowls. Your kitty does not know that he had a seizure. The only thing you have to do is to make sure he doesn't hurt himself while having the seizure (ie - pull him away from broken glass) and most important - remain calm and act like nothing has happened afterward. Don't hover or hold him - just go about your business and keep an eye on him. Sometimes the recovery is quick (sometimes my kitty would get up and go right to the food bowl) and sometimes they are disoriented and exhausted for quite a while. Believe me - the seizures are much harder on you that they are for your kitty!

• joepyeweed
    12 years ago

Yup. Many people and pets live long lives with seizures.
    Hopefully they are few and far between. They can be controlled with meds if they occur frequently.

Its helpful to make sure they have access to food and water after a seizure.

• Risami
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i wonder why do the eat alot after a seizure? so far i haven't seen anymore seizures hope that is a good sign. i wouldn't know if she had one when i'm away butseeing how she is ok i'm relieved.

• alan_s_thefirst
    12 years ago

I had a friend whose brother was prone to seizures, and he was exhausted after - usually he slept, but I imagine you might be hungry too...

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

Glad to hear no more seizures lately. Cats most certainly can have epilepsy, though it is less common in cats than in dogs. Rule outs do include viral diseases (FIP, Felv), fungal infections, diabetes, liver failure, hypertension, head trauma, brain tumor, etc. Obviously a lot of testing needs to be done to rule all these things out, but once all test are negative, one is left with epilepsy as the most likely diagnosis. Repeated seizures that come and go randomly often are due to epilepsy. If these happen more than every month or so, I recommend anti-seizure medications. Most epileptics can lead a long, normal life as suggested.

• joepyeweed
    12 years ago

i wonder why do the eat alot after a seizure?

Blood sugar drops and it feels like they've run a marathon.

When my dog had seizures, the post seizure panic attack was almost as bad, if not worse, than the actual seizure. So our vet, gave us some doggie valium to help with the post seizure behavior too. We used to joke that every time I gave the dog one, that I would take one too. :-)