Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Pill putty recipe

ms_minnamouse
12 years ago

Ginger gets pills every eight hours and that includes in the middle of the night or if we're out of the house, and keeping cheese or other perishables on me isn't possible and pill pockets are expensive and Flavor Doh wouldn't work because of her allergies, and her allergies also limit other choices and I also can't get my hands covered in something messy with no bathrooms around so I came up with this recipe but it can be changed to fit your needs.

Base: This will be the flavor that entices your pet to want to eat it. It can be very finely ground (coffee grinders are good for this) dehydrated or dried meat, hard and dry cheese, peanut flour, etc. Whatever your dog really likes. Typically the smellier and meatier the better. It will comprise the majority of the pill putty. If you use peanut flour, then you don't need to use additional flour.

Flour (may be optional): Wheat, or tapioca or potato, or rice, whatever. Only a little bit to prevent the putty from being so sticky that it leaves putty sticking to your fingers.

Oil: Olive oil is supposed to have a long shelf life and I so I use olive oil.

Ascorbic acid: Safe preservative.

Cinnamon: Another safe preservative, supposed to increase effectiveness of the ascorbic acid, or so I read.

Salt: Just a pinch, also a preservative.

Pour a little bit of olive oil in a bowl. Add a pinch of the ascorbic acid, a dash of cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Then add your base. The base will make up the majority of your putty. You need it to be very fine powder. Mix and add more oil as needed. Your pill putty should crumble and when you kneed it into a ball with your hands, the consistency is correct when it adheres to it's self without crumbling dry little pieces off and when it's not so sticky that it leaves some material on your fingers when you touch it. Adjust consistency with more oil or base as needed.

If it's still too sticky no matter what you do, then add some of your flour. Note that too much flour will dilute the flavor and encourage some dogs/cats to chew, rather than swallow whole.

I don't use exact amounts, I just mix it as I go. I may edit the recipe for exact amounts.

This may not work for every animal. Some animals may swallow a pill covered in the putty whole or may chew it or they may chew off the putty and spit the pill out. It may work on getting your animal to take small pills but not large pills. It all depends on the individual.