Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Would my dogs be better off in a new home?

newhomeseeker
12 years ago

I have a heartbreaking decision to make- in April of last year I adopted two rat terriers. I was told that they were 2 and 4 years old and had been raised together and were inseperable. Was told that the reason they were surrendered was that they shed too much. Ok.. dog hair doesn't bother me. I have cats so I did some research on the breed and made sure to ask the shelter if they had any experience with cats. I was told they came from a home with cats and did not chase them. Nor did they react to any of the cats at the shelter. I wasn't allowed to foster them first so I adopted them.

Months later, I just don't know what to do. I live alone and am gone about 10 hours a day (working). I keep them in a large kennel while I'm at work. I tried letting them run loose or keeping them in my bedroom but they are too nervous and tear things up, pee on the floor etc. Recently the 4 year old has started peeing in her crate (that she shares with the other dog) I can't seem to stop this behavior. I took her to the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with her. I have never had a dog that would mess up its own crate. They both pee and poop in my house. It doesn't matter if I take them out every hour and walk them around until they do their business. They will come inside and twenty minutes later if the urge hits, they just find a spot and go. They are ruining my house. The younger one will sometimes go to the door when she wants out. THe other one NEVER does this. I was told they were house trained and though I know they would have an adjustment period they just never seemed to "get it".

I have tried giving them praise and treats when they go outside. This didn't work because they just want to come inside to get their treat, or if I give it to them outside they eventually just wanted to go outside and stand and wait for their treat and not use the bathroom. Also they do chase my cats (even though the cats outweigh them by several pounds and even after they scratched (the younger one yelps and runs) they still don't learn and chase them again with the same result. THe smaller one (five pounds) is a little more cautious but she still gets scratched once in awhile.

I can't even let them sleep in my bed like I used to because they will get down in the middle of the night and pee on the floor or chew something up. So they have to spend nights in their kennel too. I hate doing that to them but I have no idea what else to do. I have tried training them with rewards, with punishment (a newspaper, and a NO) and by showing them exactly what they need to do (go outside etc) THey just act so wild and can't seem to remember anything from one day to the next. THey aren't dumb (they know tricks that I taught them)

I have contacted the shelter and they will not take them back. I don't know anyone personally that I can give them to and I am very hesitant about putting an ad in the paper because just a few miles from where I live a guy was arrested for taking in dogs from ads or shelters saying he lived on a farm and would give them a good home and he and his girlfriend were brutally torturing hundreds of dogs until he was caught. So horrible it makes me sick. I do love these dogs but I now realize they would be better off in a home of someone retired or who doesn't work that could be home all day with them. I try to take them for walks to give them extra exercise but even in the house I will throw a ball and they will play for five minutes and be tired of it and lay down.

I'm tired of them destroying my house by urinating and pooping everywhere, I'm tired of cleaning up their messes (I have six cats and they don't make any messes at all compared to these dogs) and I feel terrible for the dogs that they are locked in a cage for ten hours a day and at night. I do take them for car rides (which they love) and make sure they get play time and things like that and they sit on my lap etc so they aren't neglected but I feel like I tried to give them a good home and I just have failed.

I have no idea what to do. I have considered keeping the older one, thinking maybe it would be easier to handle just one dog but I don't want her to be lonely. Any suggestions?

Comments (18)

• annzgw
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I remember your OP from a few months ago and I believe several members, including me, advised you to find new homes for the dogs.

I can't believe the shelter wouldn't take the dogs back.....this is a rescue shelter? Where's your location, city or state? If you don't have any humane shelters, other rescue groups or breed specific groups in your area, then try contacting some outside your area. I would think the breed specific groups would be interested in the dogs.

In the mean time, keep them in separate crates since two dogs should not be spending 10 hrs in the same crate. Also, take them out individually for walks and to go potty. If you continue to have trouble finding groups to help you, list them on PetFinder. If you find them new homes, I would not let them go together to a new owner.

If you had the time to put into training a single dog, I'd say keep one of them, but I don't think you have the time.
    Also, remember that if a single dog gets enough time with it's owner, and if there are other animals in the household, you don't have to worry about them being lonely.

Re: the chasing of the cats, remember that you have two dogs bred for hunting. No matter how much they're reprimanded their instinct to chase will always win.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I'm sorry you have this situation. It's stressful on you, but I'm sure even more stressful on the animals. I also remember a post a few months ago about somebody considering adopting ratties from a shelter, but I'm not so sure it was you, if you've had yours for nearly a year.

First off, let's talk terriers, and rat terriers specifically. They are one of the most interactive breeds I can think of. I warned that last poster to reconsider a working terrier breed if they're not home a lot and willing to consider fulfilling that breed's need for activity. They have two switches.......full on and sleep. Couple that with a tendency to want to predate small animals and their intelligence.

I am a terrier lover. I can't picture myself with a more sendentary breed. However, they aren't for everybody and particularly not suited to be penned up and not given a chance to run off their steam and keep their minds active. If that happens, they can be very, very naughty. They also get Napoleon complexes, and have been known to use selective hearing. They need to come with warning labels. They can also be quite persistant if they want to do something. If you enjoy the challenge, it's a gas. If you can't cope it can be your worst nightmare.

These dogs are caged more than 10 hours a day. They're also caged at night. IOW you cannot expect them to act like a housedog if they're in a cage all but six hours a day. I also hate it when shelters try to talk prospective adopters into taking 'siblings'. They tried that with me when I adopted my little Iggy/terrier mix. Bringing him home alone was the best thing I could have done for him. He was obviously extremely submissive to his littermate even to the point of how much food he was getting. His sib was plump to the point of obesity, he was underweight.

I do believe they can be retrained too. But it's going to take a lot of time, patience and committment. You may have the last two, but you don't have the first. The conditions you are forced to use is not as good as that they'd find in a shelter. Forget the guilt part and work toward finding them more suitable placement. I have a feeling that whomever surrendered them did it for the very same reasons you are considering it and then lied to the shelter. They're worth saving, so give them a chance. Good luck.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

OMG, yes. Find them a new home, a good home, pronto.

Seriously, I can not understand how you think an animal can be caged up like that and not have issues.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Let's try to be as compassionate to this poster as we can. She/he obviously didn't plan on the way things turned out and is committed enough to feel bad about it not working out. The cage routine evolved as one effort failed after another.

In almost every circumstance, when you worry if you are not doing right by your dog, you aren't. I suspect your intentions were sincere, but it shouldn't have gotten to this point. Cats are a great alternative to households where the owners must be away for long periods and one of the reasons why they've become so popular as pets. There are certain breeds of dogs who may do OK in your situation, but even then kindness would suggest someone give that dog a break mid-day to do it's toileting and relieve boredom. When my husband and I both worked outside the home, he came home each day at lunch to walk and check our schnauzer. When I started my home-based business, and he retired, the canine part of our family certainly benefitted and that's why we continue to have uberly demanding dogs. Our iggy needs eight to ten walks a day with several of them extended so he can get his exercise. You need to be honest with whomever or where ever you place these dogs or they'll be shuffled around like a deck of cards until they end up euthanised. A breed specific rescue would be ideal because they and anyone who adopts from them goes into it with eyes open because they know or are made familiar with the breed tendencies before the fact. Rat terriers can be the best dog ever, if handled right. They are loyal, smart, brave and sturdy. Again, good luck.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I do feel sorry for your situation and didn't mean to be so brusque. I know you care about them and you are doing the right thing in protecting them from possible bad homes.
    Keep trying to find a good home(s) until you do.

That story about the couple adopting and torturing dogs makes me sick. How terrible.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I didn't read much past the part about them being in a crate for 10 hours while you work and one of them peeing in a crate! I tell ya, if I had to go all day without being taken out, I'd probably pee 10 times a day in my crate! That's just way too long to be left alone, yes, you need to find a home where there will be someone home to let them out and not have to be closed up in a crate all day. Your home is not a good one for dogs! That's JMHO

• gardenandcats
    12 years ago

Find them a new home fast. 10 hours in a crate plus at night this is torture..10 hours with out being let out to pee is way to long for this small breed of dog they have small bladders and need to go more often.
    Find a rescue group I'm sure they would take and rehome them...

• jomuir
    12 years ago

They may be better off in a new home. If you decide to do that, I suggest you contact a rat terrier rescue group, they'll evaluate the dogs and place them with a family that can give them the time and training they need, that you just don't have enough time in the day for.

It's hard caring for 2 dogs, & working 10 hrs a day. 10 hours is a long time to be crated if it's a daily thing. Once in a while, a dog may be able to be alone that long, but I would feel awful coming home to my dogs after that long every day. Your intentions were good, but maybe you bit off a little more than you could chew. Good luck, I hope you can work this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Rat Terrier Rescue

• weed30 St. Louis
    12 years ago

I am so sorry you are in this situation. It is definitely heartbreaking. And yes, you should rehome these dogs. I don't have to go into any explanation...Calliope's two posts say it all. I would like to add that I think a breed specific rescue is the way to go, for reasons mentioned above.

I had a dog that I had to rehome because she needed way more exercise than I could ever hope to provide. I loved that dog, but knew I could not do right by her. At 18 months old, she was adopted by a family with 5 acres in a rural area, and is happier than she ever could have been with me. It was hard, but it was the absolute right thing to do.

About 6 months later, I adopted a dog from the St. Louis Senior Dog Project. She is about 9 years old and such a wonderful girl. I just adore her, and I think the feeling is mutual :) I didn't go looking for a senior, she was at an adoption day with several different rescue groups. The dog I was wanting to see (a 3 year old mix) was already adopted. I looked around some more, and found no other dogs I was interested in. But, I felt sorry for this old dog in her cage, so I asked to see her just so she'd get some attention. I had been looking for a rescue dog for awhile, and for whatever reason, this dog and I crossed paths, and I took her home.

What I'm trying to say is that I know how it is to feel you have failed at adoption. But the situation you are in now is not good for you or the dogs, and there is nothing wrong with finding them new homes. It is the right thing to do. You will find your dog(s) someday.

Best of luck.

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

Dear New Home: First let me say I feel for you and your situation. The very best thing you can do for you AND your dogs is to let them go. I will also support the suggestion for a breed specific rescue. They have the know how and the commitment to throughly evaluate your dogs for the best possible outcome to prevent another failed placement. I would bet that the person who surrendered them in the first place was throughly aware of the issues and either didn't tell the full story or it was ignored in the attempt to place them quickly.

A failed adoption is tough, you feel rotten, but its the best for all concerned. I have continued to carry on with a kitty I adopted under false information because I know she would end up euthanized if I didn't.

It stinks. But that's the way it is. You will feel horrible at first but hopefully the rescue people will help you come to terms with your loss and it will get better. You need relief and so do they.

I'm sending positive vibes of support your way.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I was also the recipient of a dog I kept after the shelter practically gave him to me. I had a friend over to groom her dog, and she saw my little rescue and coudn't believe it was a dog she had also rescued and returned from a different source. It wasn't hard to identify as it had a lantern jaw and one eye missing. This little fellow had been adopted out and returned more than once.

He bit my husband the first night we had him and I knew if I returned that dog again, he'd be put down. He had more baggage than a world traveler. He ended up a beloved, albeit quirky pet and it took a major amount of commitment and a few years to integrate him into our household. There are people out there who are up to the challenge and you can't be faulted for not being in the position to be that person.

• joepyeweed
    12 years ago

I think its going to be very hard to find a new home for these dogs as you have described.

I would concentrate on making your home better for them. You should hire someone to take the dogs out during the day or find a doggie day care to take the dogs to. If you can hire a dog walker, or a dog sitter, combined with a better potty training effort, many of your problems will be resolved.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I have to disagree joe........these dogs just lack training and a consistent routine, something that NHS can't give them right now.

Newhomeseeker has the advantage that these are purebred dogs and she has a good chance at getting a breed rescue to take them. The breed is smart and easily trained and tend not to have the extreme energy of other terriers.....such as a Jack Russell! Having them go to separate homes will be a huge plus since it sounds as though they've developed their own little pack.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

I also disagree joepyweed. If the dogs were in a home with someone who had more time, possibly a spouse working part time or less, or can come home at lunch, & willing to take on a big task, the dogs could likely be trained & have happy lives. Right now they're acting up because they need intensive training & attention, something OP really can't do working 10 hr days.

I bet if someone were there to let the dogs out on a frequent basis for several weeks, & really watched the dogs, they could be potty trained. If they were exercised daily, had some home training & obedience class if needed, they'd probably respond really well.

• weed30 St. Louis
    12 years ago

Keep in mind that dog walkers and doggie daycare are expensive. I have a walker 3 days a week, and it costs $200 a month. That is not small change, and I am lucky to be able to afford it. Many people could not pay that much, and trying to find a neighbor or neighbor's kid to do it is not the answer. It's a lot to ask, and the dogs would not get the training they need. Plus at most they'd be out for 10 - 15 minutes, which doesn't solve the over-caged situation, which is no doubt contributing a lot to their behavior.

I hope NHS updates us.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

I've read many posts over the years from newhomeseeker, and this person is a caring compassionate person.

I would also advise you to find them a new home. And the breed dog rescue is a good idea.

I also work out of the home, and my rescue dogs are home together (luckily not crated) for 10 hours a day, and hold their pee and poop until I get home.

I think you've tried long enough .. give yourself and the dogs a break, but don't beat yourself up over it.

• newhomeseeker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. I have made plans to take them to a rescue at the end of the week. Every time I look at them I cry because I will miss them both and feel terrible for "abandoning" then but I try to think of the fact that they may find a great loving home that suits them and will be so happy. Thats the hope I hold on to at least. I have NEVER given a pet up. I have fostered cats for a shelter and even years later I wonder if they are ok. They seem to know something is up because last night they cuddled together all night even when out of the kennel. They normally don't seem that attached to eachother. I have tried doggy day care for them previously but they are very afraid of strangers and it just stressed them both out too much.

I used to have someone stop and let them out around lunch time but they would only get to be out for about ten minutes. I'm just sorry I couldn't provide a forever home for them. I thought I could but they deserve so much more.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

newhomeseeker, you're doing the right thing. You're not 'abandoning' them, you're ensuring they'll get the time they need that you just don't have at this time in your life.

I'm sorry you're feeling bad, it's natural but remember, this is the right decision. They do deserve more, and you're actually being generous in understanding that.