Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cornsnake_girl

Kitty Xanax?

cornsnake_girl
9 years ago

We have 6 cats, two are in desperate need of a grooming. My husband and I have tried and they want no part of it. They are friendly when you are just petting them, but if you feel a snarly knot you tend to want to tug at it or cut it out, and the cat takes off, usually with a good amount of flesh and bone.

I got both into their carriers and got them to the groomer one morning, 30 minutes later she called and said "NO WAY!!!". She got one out of the carrier but it bit and scratched her and she thought she would never get it back into the carrier but she did. She said contact the vet and get a mild tranquilizer for them.

I called the vet, they can fit me in on Monday, but how do I get them there? I explained this to the receptionist and she understands the Catch-22, no meds if I can't get them in, can't get them in with no meds. She is going to talk to the vet (usually after hours so they can go over everything that happened that day) and see what she says. I don't blame her for not medicating a cat she has never seen before, but hopefully we can figure it out.

Does anyone have an OTC or herbal remedy for this?

One is a retired Ragdoll Queen (Thelma Lu) and while I have had many Ragdolls over the years, this beautiful girl was a Queen and the breeder who owned her and had sold us a kitten back in '05. When we lost 2 Ragdolls within 10 days of each other a couple of years ago the breeder offered these two retirees to us at no cost but a happy home. Thelma Lu is a sweetheart on her own, Amy is a sweetheart on her own but they all hate each other.

I now have Amy and two of Amy's girls (all the boys were adopted), and they ALL hate each other, It is total chaos in the house which doesn't lend a good vibe to the other cats anyway, they all chase and hiss and are total be-atches to one another.

So even if the vet and grooming visit weren't the only problem, I need to find something to give these girls to chill them all out. It is awful in the house. Each is so incredibly sweet one on one with us, but together? Forget it!

I have tried Feliway, doesn't work. They do like a good buzz from catnip, maybe I will try that, but I really don't think it is strong enough.

Please help me! What have you used to calm your kitties?

Comments (6)

• ingeorgia
    9 years ago

You might try JacksonGallaxy.com , the Cat Whisperer, he has what he calls "spirit essences" that help address behavioral problems. there is a shop button at the top.
    Now, I have no idea if they work but there are good reviews for them. If nothing else they might get your purrbabies to the vet for the tranquilizers.

• glaserberl
    9 years ago

We have four cats and for the most part they get along fine. The youngest who is four would chase one of the older ones without mercy. They would make eye contact and the chase was on. He would also guard the litter boxes so he couldn't use them. I came across "Let's be Friends" flower essence. It only took a few days to calm the aggressor down.
    I also like Rescue Remedy to calm anxious cats down.
    To me it would be worth a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's Be Friends

• graywings123
    9 years ago

If you were able to put the cats in carrying crates once, you should be able to do it again. In this case, you only have to get the cats in the carriers to the vet's office. Once there, it's the vet's problem.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Get help getting them into a carrier. Having volunteered in a cat shelter, we often had fractious kitties who required 2 people to get them into a carrier.

Otherwise call vets, all of them you can find, until you find one willing to do a house call, and expect to pay for both the vets visit and travel time.

Probably too late for this advice, but, you may want to think about making the carrier less threatening. Rather than only pulling it out for vet visits, leave it out 24-7-365; make it a kitty home with a nice soft bed inside. I did this and would often finds my boys sleeping in their carrier.

Good luck.

• annzgw
    9 years ago

I would be hesitant to have a groomer work on my pet while it's tranquilized. It sounds like your cats are older, which adds to the risk, so why not have the vet groom the cat while they have her. They can monitor her better if they have to tranquilize her and they may be better equipped to handle her without meds.

My previous groomer had the rule that if a pet was given any tranquilizer they'd refuse to groom the pet. An animal's reaction while on tranquilizers can be unpredictable and may become even worse during the stress of grooming.
    If your cats haven't been neutered or spayed, consider doing that for a more peaceful household, otherwise consider finding homes for some of them so they can live out the rest of their lives in peace. It sounds like there's a lot of stress between the cats.

A tip that may help in crating the cat. First, place the crate vertically on its end so that the opening is at the top. Then, once you get a good hold on the scruff of the neck (have a towel handy for any flying feet) place the cat, hind legs first, into the crate.

• cornsnake_girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I will call the vet tomorrow and ask if they will groom them there at the clinic.