Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stitches

Posted by jxbrown (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 13:33

Our poodle had to have a largish sebaceous cyst removed. The vet said to return in 14 days for stitch removal. That seems like a long time. In people we usually do 5-7 days based on the location. Any ideas? She's wearing a t-shirt instead of a cone now which is a relief.

The vet kissed my dog on the top of her head. If I kissed one of my patients, iI'd get reported to the medical board! My patients aren't as cute as my dog....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stitches

whenever i've had a dog with stitches, it's always 10-14 days before they are removed. sounds like your vet is a real sweetheart!

o

Mine have had stitches out at the two week mark each time they had them so I think that's fairly standard.

o

Yep, two weeks.

o

Most dogs are a lot more active than most human beings. All that activity can put a lot of strain on sutures and newly healing tissue. 10-14 days is pretty standard for animal suture removal. Better safe than sorry and let the sutures stay in a little longer to insure stable wound healing.

Laurie

o

My dog just had stitches as well due to an injury and due to work schedules and covering for others who were on vacation I could not get back to them on day 14 (which would also have been Christmas day so they wouldn't be open), so they pushed the removal out even further saying it would be no problem leaving them in longer. I took the cone off on day 14 and miraculously he left the stitches alone until we went in for removal several days later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here