Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californiangardener

Tips to Deal with Stressed Out Cat

I have recently moved to a new city with my cat. I had lived with a roommate before and he adored my roommate, but it seems since living away from my roommate my cat has taken it rather hard. Before my roommate moved in I had lived quite fine with just me and my cat, but I guess he got used to having another person in the house because now my cat appears to have gone to pieces over it.

Since I've moved my cat has become very needy. He needs constant attention. He's always been a little bit of a high maintenence cat, but now it's to a whole other level. When I am home he wants to be on my lap ALL THE TIME. It's very disruptive. Also, my cat has taken to being rather destructive. He's scratched up my carpet and also began urine marking.

I've been trying to calm him down and have installed some feliaway diffusers around the house to reduce his anxiety. I've tried playing with him to help diffuse his nervous energy, but that doesn't seem to help much. He's just as needy as before.

So my question to the forum is -- Any tips on dealing with a cat that isn't adjusting so well? Besides feliaway diffusers is there anything else I can do to reassure my cat that everything is OK? Also, any tips on helping to reduce the urine marking?

All advice welcome! I am quite tired of the elaborate clean up involved with urine marking -- it's a real chore!

Comments (5)

• Debbie Downer
    11 years ago

Awww poor guy � besides losing a friend he�s also having to be in a strange new house�cats can be very attached to places. It�s possible there are odors and urine spray and scent gland markings from previous cats � you might want to scrub the entire place down with Nature�s Miracle. Has he ever experienced a move since he was taken away from mom as a kitten? Cats are very smell oriented, and I�m sure you know about how they spray because their own smell comforts them. Although of course its totally obnoxious to us humans!

Keep up with the Feliway � how long has it been? It can take some time for it to kick in (they say up to a month).

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Try non-alcoholic Valerian tincture. Valerian has an anti-anxiety effect without "tranquilizing" ... no slowed reflexes, just a less anxious cat.

This is not a 1-shot treatment, it's long-term therapy.

Look for a brand that has 1000mg per ml and give the cat 1/4 ml (5-7 drops) morning and evening for several weeks, until the distress has faded. Then taper off the dose over the next couple of weeks.

• camlan
    11 years ago

I've moved a lot with cats. Most of them have been very clingy for a couple of months after each move. I just give them all the time and attention I can. They usually adjust to the new surroundings.

But also check to see if there is something in the new environment that is causing stress. One apartment I had was right by some railroad tracks. When the train came through that first day--oh, the poor cats were terrified. They ran and hid in the closet. But in a couple of weeks, one of them ventured out and peeked out the window at the loud, scarey monster, and within two months, they didn't even twitch a whisker when the train came by.

So there might be a noise or vibration somewhere that is causing your cat some stress.

• californiangardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! These are good tips! And camlam I think you might be right. I noticed he marked right next to where the A/C is located. It's rather loud when it turns on. I am wondering now if that sound scares him a little bit.

• laurief_gw
    11 years ago

It sounds to me like your cat needs a companion so that he won't be so lonely when you're not home. Have you considered adopting another animal companion for him? A kitten may be just what he needs to redirect or calm his neediness. I would not recommend adopting an adult cat, or you may run into territorial and/or aggression problems, and his marking behavior may worsen. But a young kitten poses no territorial threat, so it wouldn't exacerbate his marking behavior.

It's something to consider.

Laurie