Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Fostering cats when you already have one

stir_fryi SE Mich
14 years ago

How do you foster when you have a permanent cat at home already?

I am just wondering if it would be to stressful for my 4 year old cat to have a "stranger" come in and out of the house every few months.

Comments (10)

• sue36
    14 years ago

I wouldn't risk bringing disease into the house. Other than that, I think it depends on your cat. My male would be fine with it, my female would freak.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    14 years ago

Yes, of course, it depends on your cat... also on whether you have a good, comfortable home setting to keep them apart, at least for a while.

I just had my first experience with a foster cat and .. 4 cats of my own. I would do it again, just because, in spite of all the worries, I believe I gave that cat almost 3 months of knowing the only home she might have known in her life and a lot of personal TLC. But it was stressful. I simply did not know what I was getting into. A word of caution.

Besides, what diseases are there that can be brought in? FIP.. which I believe she had. And we could not save her. Lost her battle a week ago, so it is fresh in my heart.. Of course, whenever you bring in a new cat, that could happen.

I would first go for a cat that is recovering from some surgery and needs a quiet environment away from the stress of a shelter.

Also.. if, like me, you are the type who gets attached easily... well you know..

Anyway, I do believe that fostering is a wonderful thing you could do for a sick cat or kitten. Wish more people (without cats) would do it!

Anne-Marie

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Our neighbor fixed up big cages in her garage for foster cats. Our weather is mild and she also has a space heater in the garage.

As was stated, keeping them separate is safest. Be very careful to have sanitary practices so that you don't end up spreading ringworm or other diseases.

• sue36
    14 years ago

"Besides, what diseases are there that can be brought in?"

FIP. I spent $4k caring for a cat with it. I now guard my cats like there is no tomorrow. They are never boarded and they never associate with other cats (I won't care for friends' cats in my house, for example). I don't even like bringing them to the vet.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

I knew - knew - FIP would be brought up and should have put a disclaimer

FIP is not contagious, per se. Have your cats vaccinated and keep the fosters separate until they are vaccinated and wormed.

Hundreds, if not thousands, do it (fostering), so it is. Best thing to have a separate room, if possible

• sue36
    14 years ago

I have read that FIP is not contagious. Yet every kitten in my cat's litter died of FIP (my cat first showed symptoms at about 5 months old). It was believed that the mother was a virus shedder. My understanding is that there are cats who are exposed to the virus who do not get FIP but who are chronic virus shedders. The vet thought my cat was one because she was symptom free for so long (had symptoms which resolved), but then they restarted and she eventully died.

I realize I am extra cautious. But I could not handle going through that again.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

Sue, I understand, and I sympathize with you. You went through a heartbreaking battle...

Yet, I do not want to see people get discouraged from fostering. I think it is fare to give an honest picture: yes, some risks are involved. With caution and common sense, fostering can be a wonderful and rather rewarding experience

The death of the entire littler from FIP is more than expected. It is believed that genetics play a key role as to which cats will succumb to FIP. Litter mates are more genetically alike and thus are predisposed for the corona virus mutation.
    Corona virus is omnipresent, and probably all of our cats have been exposed to it at some point. Yes, a new cat can bring corona virus with it, and most likely, the cats will get nothing but a "kitty cold" out of it.

Unfortunately, if a cat's body is going to let the virus mutate, it is going to happen, regardless of whether one fosters or not. It is sad.

But, on a happier note, fostering can be fun. Little kittens are bundles of joy (I foster all ages) and entertainment.
    Two weeks of isolation is a very good idea. I often set up cages in the garage, while deworming, defleaing and observing. Some of my older cats love playing with foster kids... {{!gwi}}From Honey
    {{gwi:804085}}From Kittens November 2008

Giving them up is hard...some more than others...
    One of my latest fosters, a white deaf kitty Powder Puff, is such a love, I am keeping him...I just cant part with him!
    {{!gwi}}From Kittens October 2009

And let me tell you, if you ever want to adopt a kitty but in the process of looking...fostering is THE best way to find that best matching cat...you get to know the personalities, their silly habits, and such...You literally fall in love with some of the furry fosters:)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    14 years ago

Olyagrove, I could not agree more with you on everything you said. Yes, genetics play a big part in which cats will have the corona virus mutate, especially in young cats. That's why, when I learned my foster cat had tested positive for the corona virus and had obvious symptoms of FIP (uveitis, poor growth, weight loss), I NEVER even thought about returning her to the shelter or keeping her apart from my other cats who had grown fond of her. But I kept litter boxes and food/water bowls apart--as I had done from day one, and this implied much vigilance...

I could not foster kittens because they are so 'fragile', but, I would take in any adult cat who has a tough time recovering in the stress of a shelter.

Sir_fryi, if it is stressful for your cat, you can always return the cat, but you won't know until you try...

Again, It is a wonderful thing you can do for these cats! Just look at these happy faces from Olyagrove's 'babies'! Great pictures!
    Anne-Marie

• ozziepuppy
    14 years ago

I would keep the fosters separate from the one you have already. My vet would not let me bring home my dead cat's body to bury because of the risk of spreading the FIP virus, so apparently it is considered contagious by some professionals. You can not vaccinate for FIP and the mutated virus can be shed by cats who have it, according to my vet.