Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

My old Boxer having siezures - I don't know what to do

kellyeng
16 years ago

Jake, my 11yo Boxer, had his first seizure back in October. Jake and Lola, his 3 yo sister, where playing really hard and he lost his footing on the new slippery floor (new house, stained concrete). It looked like he went into a panic because he couldn't get back up and then went very still and then recovered with his tail wagging. the entire episode lasted not longer than a minute. I was very freaked out, I thought he was dying. But when he was back to normal so quickly I never even thought about it being a seizure.

Three weeks ago it happened again. This time he was just casually walking in the backyard and he just fell over. Again, the whole thing only lasted a minute from the time he fell over to getting back up on his feet. A moment of disorientation and then totally back to normal. I knew then it was a seizure, both times.

I immediately made a vet appt for that afternoon. The vet took some blood and it was sent to the lab. A few days later my vet calls with the results. Jake's blood was completely normal including the thyroid. Then my vet goes on to tell me that since the blood test was normal and considering the age and breed of my dog, the chances of a brain tumor are very likely but we can't know that for sure without a brain scan.

I told my vet that I was way more interested in my dogs quality of life over quantity of life. Jake has no idea how long of a life he has. He only knows if he's safe, well fed and has companionship - In other words, loved. So my vet said, in that case, the best thing we can do for him is continue to give him love and don't treat him at all - not even the seizures since he recovers so quickly and the meds can cause a decrease in Jake's quality of life.

That was 10 days ago. In that time Jake has had four more seizures. They never last more than a minute, he recovers very fast and he has no other symptoms of any kind.

I'm feeling neglectful. I'm feeling like I should be doing something for him. I'm I doing right by him? I don't want my selfish feelings of guilt and loss to interfere with Jake's best interests.

He's pretty old for a Boxer and he's slowed down significantly over the last year but he's still willing to give me a kidney bean (Boxer owners know what this is!) when I say, "Are you a pretty boy?"

Sorry this is so long. I'm just in anguish right now. Any words of wisdom?

Here's a pic of my babies. Lola on the left and Jake on the right:

{{gwi:2007199}}

Comments (46)

• gabro14
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They are both so beautiful. I'm so sorry to hear about what you and Jake are going through.

Here's a similar situation that may help in some way...
    My very good friend has a 9-year-old male boxer, and he recently had a seizure (not sure how long it lasted). He has also has had back leg issues, which was thought to be Degenerative Myelopathy. Anyway, after the seizure, my friend immediately took Hunter to the Emergency Clinic. They told her the same thing they told you. They thought it could be a brain tumor (which may be what's causing the leg issue too), and the only way to tell is to do an MRI. Since boxers do not live very long, she decided against it for the same reasons you did. What would be the point in putting him through testing when she wouldn't do surgery to remove the tumor anyway? She just wants him to live a happy live, however long that might be.

As for the continuing seizures, is there a way that you can just give the meds a try and see if they help without having bad side effects? I know these meds can have negative side effects though, so maybe you can talk to your vet about something holistic you can give him. A co-worker of mine had her dog on anti-seizure meds, and it was damaging his kidney (or was it his liver?). So she put him on some sort of supplement, and he gets no seizures anymore. After I post this I'll go see if she's still in her office, and I'll let you know what she gives her dog.

Whatever you decide to do, just know that you are doing what you think is best for your dog. I hope you'll get more replies that will help you feel more comfortable in whatever decision you make.

Take care,
    Gabi

• mboston_gw
    16 years ago

We have a female, 18 month old who had two seizures one sunday morning. full Grand mal with loss of bladder and bowel control, jerking, paralysis and all, each last just over a minute. We got her to the vet and he put her on Phenobaratyl, 2 times a day and then after a month we have been weaning her off. She has just a couple tablets left. No seizures since that day and I hope no more in her life. We don't know the cause, since she is a young dog he didn't think it would be tumor but then again who knows.

The meds made her sleepy the first few days then she adapted and became her old self. It certainly gave me a sense of security that she was getting help. If I were you, I would try the meds if offered and see if they help. Long term I know it is not good to have the dogs on it but maybe long term isn't going to be necessary.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Gorgeous dogs!
    You can almost reach out & pet those sleek coats.

I thought anti-seizure meds had been improved so that they didn't lower the quality of life;

I think I'd question the vet some more, & maybe get a 2nd opinion.

I wish you the best.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

What you describe does not sound like a seizure to me. Most seizures have a pre and post period that are very recognizable. Usually dogs can feel a seizure coming on and act different- some get clingy, some try to go off and be alone, some get very antsy, etc. During a seizure a dog is not responsive- if you call them they do not look your way or do anything that makes you think that they can even hear you. After a seizure a dog is rarely normal-they seem disoriented, act blind, are often confused. Seizures tend to occur when a dog is relaxed, not running around- at night is most common.

To me it sounds like your dog had a syncopal episode, or fainted. Boxers get a certain type of heart disease that can cause syncope. In fact it is actually called Boxer cardiomyopathy and causes arrhythmias which may or may not be ongoing by the time you get to the vet. You may want to ask for a referral to a cardiologist and see how s/he can help diagnose and treat the problem. Most times, Boxers wear a continuous ECG monitor called a Holter for 24-48 hours, so the arrhythmia can be diagnosed. There are medications that can help slow the progress of the heart disease and control the syncope. Heart disease can be managed for a long time, giving your dog high quality life.

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

I tend to agree with Megan, if your dog didn't exhibit post-seizure panic, pacing, or confusion then you may want to look for something else. It might be something more treatable than a brain tumor.

I can understand not wanting put an older dog through a ton of tests. We had to make that decision last year when our 13 year old hound dog started having seizures...when the blood work came back normal, we opted not to have a brain scan, because even if they found the tumor, we would not have put him through brain surgery. But we did give him seizure medication, and doggie valium to help with the post seizure panic.

I also found that it helped calm him down to give him some food after a seizure...

• sunshinetm
    16 years ago

I don't have an answer just a "hug" & wanted to say how pretty both of your dogs are. I know when my horse first started having seizures I had a Vet/Chiropractor out. He felt that a pinched nerve could have something to do with it. He did chiropractor work on my horse & some acupuncture with (B12?) Injected into the needles & my horse was seizure free for a year after that. Just something I thought I would throw out there, not sure if it would have any similarities to dogs or not. Best of luck, Terri

• msbeekeeper
    16 years ago

I raised Boxers for 12 yrs and most of the Boxers I knew had cardio myopathy with these symptons. They will topple over and when they get up again. It's as if it never happened.Some attacks are worse then others. I had to give CPR to one of mine. Yes it is very sad to see them do this but once they come to they really don't know it has happened.If you did a 24 hr Holter moniter on him it would tell you if this is his problem. Of course it isn't always this but it's worth asking your vet about it.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry it took so long to respond but I wanted to give a complete update.

I want to thank all of you for your kind responses. I especially want to thank Meghane. Without your post I would never have thought Jake's "spells" were anything but seizures. I asked my vet about the possibility that he could be fainting due to a heart condition. He was adamant that he was seizing due to a neurological condition. I insisted that he refer us to a cardiologist and we had our appointment yesterday. There was no need for a 24 hour Holter because his murmur and arrhythmia were apparent to the cardiologist just by listening with a stethoscope. The cardiologist gave him medication but said that he could still drop dead any second or he could live another three to four years on medication.

Here is the complete diagnosis. Meghane, your insight would be most appreciated since I still don't think I have a clear picture of the severity of Jake's condition.

DIAGNOSIS: Ventricular tachyarrhythmias, chronic valve disease, probable Boxer myocarditis
    On examination Jake has a grade II to III/VI holosystolic murmur detected over the left mitral valve region. His heart rate is rapid 160 to 180 beats/min and the rhythm at times is irregular with premature beats and runs of rapid rhythm. An echocardiogram revealed moderate mitral valve insufficiency and mild tricuspid insufficiency due to age related thickening of the valves. The left atrium is mildly dilated and the contractility of his left ventricle is less than normal. The left ventricular shape is more rounded at the apex which suggests a change due to heart muscle disease and/or the valve leakage. The arrhythmia was frequent during the echocardiogram.

His abdominal organs are normal in sonographic appearance.

An ECG revealed single unifocal ventricular premature beats and runs of the ventricular beats in 3 to 8 beats in a row. His normal pacemaker rate was excessively rapid at 160 to 180 beats/min.

We collected blood for a thyroid panel to rule out hypothyroidism as a cause of the arrhythmia. (side note: my vet did what I thought was a complete thyroid panel but it was not.)

The mitral valve disease is a normal aging process that leads to leakage of the valve. The arrhythmia is frequently seen as a result of inflammation in the heart muscle of Boxers. This can cause fainting, seizures, sudden death or can lead to progressive heart enlargement and congestive heart failure. Therapy is aimed at improving the heart efficiency and lowering the workload on the heart by controlling the arrhythmia.

MEDICATIONS: Mexiletine & Enalapril with a supplement of omega fatty acids.

We will go back in a week for an ECG and a month for another echocardiogram to see if the medication is working. I also received a lesson on how to listen to his heart, check the color of his gums and monitor the temperature of his paws for blood circulation and how to perform Boxer CPR (basically how and where to punch him in the chest).

• Meghane
    16 years ago

I am so glad that you were able to get Jake to a cardiologist. It sounds like he is not in heart failure but is having problems related mostly to the arrhythmia. I happen to be on the cardiology rotation at school now, and have seen many many Boxers with the same disease. The cardiologists here say that when the Boxer comes in with this disease and is not in congestive heart failure, they usually see at least 2-3 good years with medication. This is much better than if he had a brain tumor- usually those dogs only live a couple of months with progressively poor quality of life. Jake won't know he has heart disease for a long time, if ever. Many dogs as old as Jake when first diagnosed with Boxer cardiomyopathy end up dying of something else.

The mexiletine is a medication that will control the arrhythmia. Jake has been fainting most likely because of the arrhythmia. Hopefully this medication will suppress the arrhythmia and he'll stop having these episodes. There are other anti-arrhythmic medications that can be added (sotolol for example) if the mexiletine is not enough.

Enalapril will help protect the heart and kidneys from many of the neuro-endocrine compensatory mechanisms that happen when the heart isn't working that well. These compensatory mechanisms are good in the short term, but long term do more harm than good. It also helps lower blood pressure and decrease the workload on the heart.

If and when necessary, the cardiologist may add other medications based on Jake's clinical signs. Sometimes the heart rate stays too fast, or they may had a medication that helps the heart contract better. If he goes into congestive heart failure, diuretics may be added as well. Boxer cardiomyopathy is a disease that requires monitoring and adjustments, but it is also something that Jake can live with very comfortably.

While Jake's disease is serious, he most likely has at least a couple of really good years. While it's true that some have sudden death, the cardiologists at school say that they don't see that often (less than 10%), especially once the arrhythmia is controlled. The good thing is that Jake will be comfortable and happy with medications for a long time. It's one thing to live a long time, it's a true blessing that he'll have fun doing it.

Please keep us posted about how Jake does with the recheck appointment.

• bessiedawg
    16 years ago

Kellyneg-so glad that you saw a cardiologist and he was able to give you an accurate diagnosis.

I just wanted to take a moment to say again a big thank you to Meghane for participating on this forum.

Good Luck,
    Linda

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

Wow!

Thank goodness!

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Kellyneg,
    So happy to hear that Jake has a condition that is manageable. I'm really happy for you and Jake. I wish you both many long and happy years together - oh, and of course we can't forget Lola!

Meghane,
    You seem like a very caring person and I just know you'll be an amazing veterinarian. I only wish you lived in my state!

• sunshinetm
    16 years ago

I am very happy that you found out what exactly is going on. I hope Jake is able to enjoy his life a lot longer with you. Terri

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes. Jakes thyroid panel came back normal. In the meantime he had one of his fainting spells yesterday. At that point he had 4 150mg of mexiletine & 2 10mg of enalapril in his system. I just checked his heart rate and it's at 72bpm - way lower than it was on Friday. I hope yesterday's fainting was due to not enough meds in his system yet.

Other than that he seems like his normal happy self.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

Wow, that's a great improvement in the heart rate! He may still have some VPCs and arrhythmia-action going on. If he still has fainting spells in the next couple of days, the cardiologist may add another med like sotolol.

The best thing about this particular heart disease is that the dogs have no idea that they are sick. The fainting feels a bit weird (I used to faint quite a bit) but like you noticed he's feeling otherwise fine.

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job in monitoring Jake. It's going to be a lot of work, tweaking meds with the cardiologist and such, but Jake is lucky to have you for his mom. I hope his condition continues to improve and there are less fainting spells.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jake died yesterday.

We went to the cardiologist yesterday for a checkup and an ECG. Dr. added Sotalol to his meds because he was still having fainting spells but his heart rate was way down and the ECG was almost normal. 30 minutes after we got home he collapsed and I couldn't get his pulse. I punched him in the chest three times and he gasped and vomited. He came around and I was astonished at how alert he was. I told him how much I loved him, how much joy he brought to my life and what a good boy he was. I left him for a moment to get the phone to call the Dr. I heard him get up and collapse, he was probably trying to come to me. I went to him, he gasped a couple of times and was gone. Just gone. I can't stop crying. He was my special little boy. I feel like I live in an alernate universe right now. Nothing feels right.

• gabro14
    16 years ago

I am so sorry. I'm crying right now. I can't even imagine what you're feeling. My thoughts are with you. Jake was blessed to have had you.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! Especially since things were looking better. I don't know what to say, except my thoughts are with you. Jake was a lucky boy to have you as his mom.

• linht
    16 years ago

kellyeng,

I've been following your thread about little Jake and I'm so very sorry he is no longer with you. Sounds like you were the perfect pet parent and did absolutely everything possible for him. I lost one of my shih-tzus 3 years ago. I know what you mean about living in an alternate universe and how nothing feels right. I felt that way for about a year after she passed away. I'm sure he was sad to leave you but I bet he was happy to know that he had, still has and will always have your love. My dog was in the hospital for 3 days and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. She was in the ICU and I was not allowed to stay in there so I waited in the room across the hall the entire night of the 2nd day. The morning of the 3rd day she took her last breath. The vet tech came to get me but by the time I made it into the ICU she was already gone. I never had the chance to say goodbye. I never knew why she died. I understand nothing anybody says or does will make things easier for you at this time. Remember this, you were the best parent you could be to your Jake and you were able to be right there with him when he closed his eyes for the last time. I hope you are strong enough to pull through this and things feel "normal" again soon. My thoughts are with you.

• daggett
    16 years ago

I'm sorry. He was very lucky to have you in his life.

• sunshinetm
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, not what I was expecting to hear. I feel like crying for you & understand how much it hurts to lose one of your long time friends. You did all that you could & Jake was lucky to have you.

• petra_gw
    16 years ago

I am so sorry!! I know exactly how you feel, our Boxer girl died last April. When you feel up to it, you might consider visiting the Boxer Forum. They have a Remembrance Forum and the people are lovely and very compassionate, they helped a lot when we lost MaeMae.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxer Forum

• cheryl_p
    16 years ago

I am so very sorry. I hope you can take comfort in the memories of him and in knowing that we DO know your pain ... in each of our own lives we still deal with it. We are here for you if you ever need to just "talk". I found that writing about your beloved does help.
    -Cheryl

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry.

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone. Your responses have been so touching and just what I needed to hear.

I was thinking about how Jake was a rescue at 3 months old. He could have had a very hard life but instead he spent it cuddled up next to me. Made me smile for the first time.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

He will always be in your heart and you in his (((HUGS)))

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

Kelly,

My deepest heartfelt sympathies go out to you. Jake was one lucky fellow. I am glad to hear he had such a wonderful life with you.

In our eyes, they are with us far too short a time. But they sure pack a lot of true living in those years. I rather think that they teach us all they can in their time with us, and then move on to help someone else in another life, perhaps a guardian angel to another pet in need.

My favorite quote:

"Man has great power of speech, but the greater part thereof is empty and deceitful. The animals have little, but that is useful and true; and better is a small and certain thing than a great falsehood." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who posted to this thread. I was hoping to become an active member of this forum but everytime I come here I just end up crying. I'm sure eventually it will be different but in the meantime I just felt the need to express my appreciation to everyone and especially Meghane.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

I'm glad that you can smile remembering Jake. I'm sure he is happy that you can find some comfort and joy when thinking about him.

It is hard coming back after losing one of your kids. I've been there 4 times now- Kang, B'Elanna, Lee-Zard, and Aleksander. Everyone here is so kind, supportive, and empathetic that it made things a little easier. I still cry sometimes too, but I think it's OK to be sad about losing a good friend.

• honey33
    16 years ago

I have a boxer that is 13 years old and a couple of weeks ago she had siezure. It was the most awful experience I have ever seen. I woke up just in time to see her have it. All I could do was grap and love on her and till her how much I loved her till she came around. I took her to the vet and he put her on medicine, and just tonight she had another mild one. And again all I did was hold her in my arms and rub and talk gently to her. She came around.

• megano
    13 years ago

I'm not sure if you still get on here but I wanted to tell you how sorry I was to hear that you lost Jake. I also lost my beloved boxer Spinks at 11 yrs old in august of last year. I still cry over his lose and I'll never forget his bright happy "puppy" spirit and butt dance (kidney bean as you called it). I never knew what really happen to him but after reading Jake's story now I do. He had the same episodes as Jake. I just assumed he was having seizures. I made an appointment to have blood work done and the vet didn't do it for whatever reason! I won't be going back there again! After his last episode, he couldn't get up or respond to me and barely had a heart beat. I rushed him to the vet without doing CPR because I was alone but they couldn't revive him. Life without him is hard and the only thing that brings me any comfort is knowing he didn't suffer for long, he had a great life, and he is home with GOD. I'll get another boxer again someday after my heart heals but this time I'll know what is really happening and I'll do CPR. They truly are the best dogs in the world, full of energy, personality and just happy! Maybe we get to see our beloved pets in the afterlife. Tears! Take care.

• aroberts412_aim_com
    13 years ago

I also have an 11 yr old male boxer, he will be 12 in October. a few years ago we found out that he had arthritis and he had a couple of tumors. Since then he has gotten 2 more tumors and gets growths all over his body. He seems very happy and does well with his arthritis meds. Today I walked into the kitchen and he lifted his head to see what was going on, when I looked at im I immediately noticed that his head was shaking up and down, I went straight to him to calm him. But of course he gets up and wants to play and his head is STILL shaking up and down. This lasted no longer than 2-3 mins but it was weird that he was all there while having a seizure. He also acts like he is chewing gum when there is nothing in his mouth from time to time and I had no idea what that meant until today, I'm starting to put two and two together now. Being that he has 4-5 tumors I'm willing to bet he has a brain tumor.. Our vet has done nothing with his other tumors cause they aren't life threatening, and also said that he will prob not live past 12 yrs old.

*sorry this was so long, but I know boxer owners really care about their dogs!*

• jackieblue
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear your Boxer is having problems. There is something special about boxers where they kind of become like children rather than pets isn't there? LOL, I suppose we'd all say that about our dogs but as a boxer owner I have to say I know what you mean ;). My boy is just starting to get some grey on his muzzle so I know he is aging, but he acts just like a puppy. They all do, it is their nature. Don't have any experience with the issues you described... just wanted to wish you well. I think it is remarkable that your boxer is 11, you must have taken very good care of him.

• mirandahead23_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

WOW...I found this site when I did a Bing search of Boxers having seizures. I am the super proud owner of an 8 year old male boxer named Lucky. Two weeks ago, after we moved into a new home, Lucky scared the bejeezus out of me when he had what I think was a seizure. He was acting strange for several hours, lying around not wanting to play as much as usual. I thought it was the new place making him a little uncomfortable. Lucky has always been an inside dog, and he was lying on his mat in the living room when all of a sudden he began kicking his legs around like crazy, acting like a fish out of water. He started drueling and whimpering. I freaked out and started calling his name and trying to bring him out of it, but he acted as if he could not even hear me. It lasted about a minute maybe more. When he stopped kicking, I noticed that he had peed on the floor underneath him, but instead of standing up, he just layed there for a few minutes. He still would not look at me when I called his name, and when I reached down and petted him, he acted like he didnt even know I was there. He was very disoriented and confused. I brought him some water, but he paid it no attention either. Finally after a few more minutes, he got up and stumbled over to his mat, layed down and within 10 minutes, was fast asleep. I took him to the vet, they did blood work, and it also came back normal. It has not happened since until today. Early this morning Lucky woke me up barking and acting weird again. I got worried and moved to the couch to sleep closer to him and watch him better. About an hour ago, I was sitting on the couch watching the news, Lucky was lying on the floor next to me when he jumped up and starting to walk around the room. I looked over just in time to see Lucky rare up in the air, kind of like a bucking bronco, then as soon as his feet hit the floor he stiffened up and fell over on his side. I honestly thought he had died. He then started to kick around really fast again, and the same things happened all over again. I am so worried about my baby boy I really don't know what to do. Is my dog dying? Is there any more that I can do to help him? Please help! Thank you!!!!

• Ninapearl
    13 years ago

miranda, i'm so sorry this is happening! there are medications that can control seizures, a call to your vet is in order. i have a friend with an 8 year old malamute that has been on seizure medication for years. don't give up! best of luck to you, i know how frightening this can be.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

Be sure the vet checks thyroid function;
    veterinarians will pooh-pooh the likelihood of thyroid disease because they think it's "rare"...
    just like doctors used to say that women didn't have heart disease.

The way that worked, of course, is that when a woman died of a heart attack, they either wrote something else on the death certificate or they wrote that it was a sudden thing.

I think the vet schools must teach students that, if something is "not common" (or not acknowledged to be common), they needn't test for it.

You have one dog, & if he's the one who has hypo-thyroid disease, it'll kill him.

Make sure your beloved dog gets this test.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

The first typical symptoms of hypo-thyroidism are poor coat, skin lesions especially around the neck area, and weight gain or weight loss. While hypo-thyroidism may be related to seizure activity, I would think that the other symptoms would be first present. I've had two hypo-thyroid dogs and they both did very well on replacement thyroid hormone medication. The blood tests for thyroid levels can very ambiguous. My dog tested in the normal or near normal range and I know many other dog owners whose hypo-thyroid dogs tested in the normal range but responded favorably to treatment.

This sounds like it was a severe seizure. I would take your dog to the vet. Good luck. I hope he does not have another seizure.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I lost my beautiful old Golden because her thyroid test was "within normal range" about a month before the first seizure.

By the time a different vet sniffed Sunny's coat & said, "it smells like thyroid" (!), it was too late.

Thyroid can appear suddenly, & when the dog's thyroid hormone levels drop to a certain level, the dog will have seizures.
    & die.

• Treece76_aol_com
    12 years ago

Your original post about Jake helped me out a lot to understand why my Rajah, who is 12, out of the blue started having seizures a few weeks ago. Within 3 weeks she has had 4 seizures and these are foaming at the mouth full body grand mal seizures where she loses her bladder and after they are over she is so disoriented. I can not bring myself to put her to sleep. But at this point I feel like she is suffering. She has been the best dog I have ever had! Boxers are the best breed, at least for our family. I'm sobbing as I write this. I don't want her to go.....

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Treece, I'm going through seizures with a cat. We are having 2 or 3 a day since the weekend. There are a lot of things that can cause seizures -- many treatable. The vets think hers are being caused by high blood pressure.

Have you been to the vet? I took our cat in thinking we would be putting her down but we are trying increased BP medication and could look at anti-seizure medication if this doesn't improve this weekend. Her BP is down, but the seizures are still there, so we are waiting to see what happens. It's hard to see them go through a seizure, but the vets and what I have read tell me it may be harder on me than her since they are not really aware of what is happening so much as disoriented or embarrassed when they come out of it.

Best of luck with your fur baby.

• fogcitydodger94
    8 years ago

I understand more now what happened to my KoKo, the up and down head movements, the gum chewing, like he was trying to get something from between his jowls. I can't say how long it's been since I have felt the "alternate universe" feeling that Ms. Kellyeng talked about, but I am heart broken beyond my comprehension. I hope he can still hear me when I sing all of those songs that I made up for him, 2-25-16 is an evening that has wounded me indelibly. Thank you kind folks for sharing your Boxer Dog stories, you have helped with my healing... & also to "aroberts412". I know we will see our babies again. Rodger

• regenlees
    6 years ago

I have an 8 year old Boxer, Millie, that had her first seizure just over a year ago. It was long and violent and tortuous to watch lasting well over 3 minutes. I immediately took her to the vet and he started her on Phenobarbital and Valium. She had several more smaller ones until the levels were where they needed to be. In the year since she's had dozens, some worse than others, and we've added Potassium Bromide to the mix. She continues to have small focal seizures lasting a few seconds almost daily. She was hospitalized last month with Pancreatitis. While there she had one larger and one smaller seizure. Since she's come home she seems to be deteriorating. She sleeps most of the days away. She has difficulty walking, stumbles or falls when she stands still for more than a few seconds, bumps into things and has fallen down the stairs. She seems to be losing control or strength in her hind legs. Last night she fell asleep at my feet and then couldn't stand or walk for a couple of minutes when she woke. This morning, on the other hand, she came as close to running as she has in a while to go outside and potty and play for a moment. It was brief. She's eating well, looks and sounds a good as ever which makes it that much harder to wonder "How much is enough for her?"

I guess that's what I'm looking for, advice on "enough". She is our absolute favorite person in the world and is loved beyond measure. As terrified as I am about her leaving us, I am more afraid that she's suffering as she is. I've never had to even consider this for a pet so I'm lost to the rationale of it. How do you know when they've had enough?

• annztoo
    6 years ago

regenlees,

I would suggest you get a second veterinary opinion before making any drastic decisions. As you've seen from reading this thread, the OP discovered her dog wasn't having seizures but instead had a heart condition. I would first visit a cardiologist to rule out any heart problems and also see if the specialist thinks your dog needs a change of medication.

If your vet won't refer you to a specialist, you can make an appointment on your own and have them contact your vet for records.

Please keep us posted.........

• Vicci Botich
    2 years ago

Bailey, my 12 yo boxer just had a seizure . It was very stay for both of us. I just googled boxer seizures and found your post. I'm crying because i knows the end is near. She also suffers from Degenerative Mylopia. I've been struggling with what to do. I tried the wheel chair. She rejected it. It freaked her out. This is so hard butt i want to do what is best for her.

• Tara Silk
    2 years ago

I too am exoerience that with my boxer 10 yr old tank has never even showed teeth to another dig and us the most gentlest boxer I have ever had. He takes treats so softly you would think you were handing it to someone like a child. My live fir this dig all and digs I have ever had are as uf they were in children. Presently he is in phenomebaratal but this last two days he has increased with more se,iures. I'm so scared what shoild.I do. I don't have alot if money to begin with but dint my my baby to suffer and don't want him to pass and leave us.