Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asthma kitty and Prednisolone

Posted by sduck2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 12:04

My cat has recently changed from Prednisone to prednisolone, 5mg tablets twice a day for her asthma. I recently went for a follow up visit and the vet gave me the bottle of Prednis Tab (1000) for cheaper then the presciption of 50 tabs at a time. When I got home, I noticed the bottle said "For Oral Use in Dogs Only". Does anyone know if there a difference in Prednisolone 5 mg tabs for dogs then for cats?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asthma kitty and Prednisolone

No, there is no difference. It just means the company didn't feel like killing a bunch of cats for a drug that had been already used and proven safe and effective in cats for a long time. Well, I take back the word "safe" because of course there are many many many adverse effects related to long term steroid use and sometimes even short term steroid use but they are all well documented so no reason to kill a bunch of cats just to get it labeled.

Hope your cat does well.

o
RE: asthma kitty and Prednisolone

I would ask your vet about using inhaled meds for your cats asthma...Steriods for the rest of your cats life is not good. I have two cats with asthma siamese. I bought the Aerokat mask to administer the inhaler daily.Many many asthmatic cats are treated with inhalers much safer for them and they work just like it would for a person

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here