Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog's hives becoming one big hive.

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 28, 10 at 12:00

My mini Dachshund was bitten by an yellow jacket, or some other insect, on her muzzle last Sunday. She swelled up all around her face and neck and got hives. This has happened before so followed the vets advice from last time. The swelling went down in a day or so. She was also lethargic, off her feed with soft stools. She now seems to be fine and has returned to her normal eating and activity.

But there was one thing that was new, the individual hives have become one big hive on her back. It is like they merged toghether. I have never seen this before. Should I be concerned?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog's hives becoming one big hive.

I would be concerned. I think you should get her to the vet and have her checked.
Surely this is uncomfortable for her........

o

She still has hives 5 days after she was bitten? I agree with annz, the poor thing must be very uncomfortable. She's not rubbing and trying to scratch her back?

I'd get her to the Vet right away. It might be that the toxins/histamines may still be active in her system. I'd be concerned that the problem swelling might go to her throat and hamper her breathing.

o

Good that you got her to the vet. Good luck and I hope you post with her progress

o

Now the big hive disappeared in one day! Really strange. She is back to normal or at least her skin is. And she did not act like she had any itch nor did she ever scratch at any time. And no problem breathing or drinking or eating. Don't know what bit her but it was the same kind of reaction she had to yellow jackets last summer. I had called the vet on Monday, forgot to mention that, and she said to do what I did last time and no need to see her.
Thanks for the replies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here