Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

More newbie puppy questions

Fori
13 years ago

If anyone would like to share some expertise and advice, please do! :)

We brought home our puppy about two weeks ago. He's about 14 weeks old. 30 pounds.

He's been crate training (mainly for house breaking) and hasn't had any incidents indoors since the first day or two. How do I know when he's ready to uhh...test? We've been as diligent as possible giving him plenty of chances to go outside and not letting him loose in the house until he's emptied, but we don't know his indoor signals for having to GO. He's whined in his crate when he's needed to go, but would he bother if he was indoors uncrated?

How do I know? Do I just have to risk it?

I don't suppose it's possible to train him to stop chewing on everything is it? :) We were able to teach him to stop chewing on people pretty fast so he's not hopeless...

Do outdoor dogs usually need nail trims? This guy is supposed to become an indoor-outdoor dog and will hopefully be more active outside than inside. Crazy large puppy antics belong outside. But will he wear down his nails when he starts taking walks?

Can I wash him whenever he smells doggy?

Thanks!

Any other tips?

Comments (3)

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, you will just have to 'risk' it as far as the housebreaking goes. He will surprise you and will let you know that he wants to go out. You are doing very well, BTW!!! A well-trained dog comes from a well-trained owner. As far as the chewing thing goes, try to provide plenty of appropriate chew things to trade with when he is chewing on bad stuff. That too will stop eventually.

As far as nail trims go, we have yet to trim the nails of our two dogs (one going on 3 yrs. and the other just over a year.) They are outdoors running and playing about half of the time so I think their nails get trimmed down naturally as do animals in the wild. If it looks as though that isn't happening, then trim them. Just give the little guy a tasty chew treat as you do it.

Baths: When he gets smelly, you can give him a bath but that shouldn't be necessary very often if he is outdoors and rained on regularly. We have two labs that love to swim and we have a clear/clean creek on our property that is 8' deep in some places. They get regular baths all by themselves! Have fun with the little guy --- sounds like you are.

• mazer415
    13 years ago

We brought home our puppy about two weeks ago. He's about 14 weeks old. 30 pounds.
    ***Congratulations on your new addition...

He's been crate training (mainly for house breaking) and hasn't had any incidents indoors since the first day or two. How do I know when he's ready to uhh...test? We've been as diligent as possible giving him plenty of chances to go outside and not letting him loose in the house until he's emptied, but we don't know his indoor signals for having to GO. He's whined in his crate when he's needed to go, but would he bother if he was indoors uncrated?

How do I know? Do I just have to risk it?

*Here is the deal - teach your dog to tell you it needs to go. When you are outside doig the business, give your puppy a command. if he is peeing then pick a phrase like pp outside and repeat it when he is peeing, then praise him as he is peeing, same for #2 only pick a different phrase. In about a month you will be able to ask your pup if he needs to go outside...note later on, your dog will lie to you, demanding to be let out even though you know your dog is empty, this is a sign you havve gotten too busy, and in the mean time your dog has figured you out and will pick the time you are the busiest to mess with your head.

I don't suppose it's possible to train him to stop chewing on everything is it? :) We were able to teach him to stop chewing on people pretty fast so he's not hopeless...

**Absolutely it is possible to stop your dog from chewing on everything -be mindful it is a natural thing for puppies to chew on things, it is how they explore their world. as soon as you see him chewing on something you dont want him chewing on, tell him, drop it, - firmly without too much hysteria - and then give him a toy you do want him to play with and chew and tell him, go get your ball, teddy bear, kong...whatever..
    oh did I mention KONG, A great invention, actually there are a couple of really good treat reward toys out there for you to get for your pup. Fill them with Natural Balance treats or meat stick cubes and when you are busy or you are needing to leave or you somehow would like your pup to to play or chew on something, these toys are the best thing in the world..

Do outdoor dogs usually need nail trims? This guy is supposed to become an indoor-outdoor dog and will hopefully be more active outside than inside. Crazy large puppy antics belong outside. But will he wear down his nails when he starts taking walks?

***This depends on a number of things, does your pups nails ride high or low, is there cement around your place? How often and how long are the walks you intend to take with him. Here is the deal - if you are going to do things so that your pup will be cooperative in the future, GO SLOW. Show your dog the clippers (I prefer a rotary tool with a barrel sander) and let your dog get use to it, frequently touch your dogs front paws - go slow, let him get use to the thing do one small littel clip and leave it at that always end on a good note and reward and praise your dog, open his lip to touch his gums and stick your finger a little bit (a very little bit ) into his ears....you should be doing all this on a regular basis so the vet and the groomer - or you, dont have to fight the dog later on in life. You can start toothbrushes or wrap some gauze around your finger and rub down his gums and teeth once a week.

Can I wash him whenever he smells doggy?

**YUP - I love Buddy Wash and Buddy Rinse, the dogs smell like lavender. Be certain you rinse all shampoo and conditioner out thoroughly and dont forget apply the topical flea control 24 hours before or after a bath!!

Thanks!

Any other tips?
    Leash walks leash walks leash walks leash walks....oh yeah and stupid dog tricks -the more you interact with your dog, the less destructive they will be. Good luck, let us know if we can help in the future and if you can post some photos.....we would love to see the furball

• Fori
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks y'all. We do have some concrete (no rivers!) but he prefers the lawn of course. Walks would probably help with the toenails as well as the energy but we're still waiting for his vaccinations to kick in.

Eventually I'd like to use a doggie door for the daytime but right now I need to monitor him.

I don't know if he relieves himself on command or just whenever I take him to the spot.

My next dog is gonna be another cat. :)