Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitten with blood and mucus in stool?

Posted by Chelsea1616 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 11 at 10:51

I have a 5 month old kitten that I adopted from the pound when she was 8 weeks old. She has been to the vet for all her shots, deworming, defleaing, etc. Ever since I got her she has had issues with blood in her stool. It is usually a well-formed, normal looking stool, but right at the end she sort of strains a little and a bit of bright red blood/mucus comes out (maybe about ¼ to ½ a teaspoon). Otherwise, she seems very healthy - active, eats well, etc. She had been fed Iams Kitten dry food when I adopted her, and I gradually switched her to Medical wet kitten food from the vet. This seemed to help for a while, but lately she's been having the same problem. I've asked the vet about it several times, brought in a stool sample (which tested negative for parasites), tried giving her Progut from the vet, but nothing seems to help. It's really concerning to me but the vet doesn't seem overly worried about it. I've recently tried giving her a tiny bit of pumpkin puree with her meals as I read that that can help, but so far no improvement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitten with blood and mucus in stool?

I think sometimes kittens just have to grow out of "gut" problems;
I've had good luck with pumpkin & rice, but I used *huge* servings, about 1/2 & 1/2 with dry food, & I wouldn't give milk or canned food until the problem clears up.

I wish you the best.

o

I don't have much knowledge where this is concerned, but one thing to keep in mind is that if the blood is bright red, it probably is not coming from up in the digestive tract- blood that goes through the digestive tract tends to be black in color, I believe. If it's bright red, then there's probably a good chance that the irritation and source of the blood is right there at the end point.

o

Bright red blood IS from the digestive tract, but from the colon, not the small intestines or stomach.

Bringing in a stool sample is helpful but you won't find giardia or coccidia unless the sample is taken from the pet at the hospital and run right away. Both of those parasites die within minutes of pooping and are impossible to see once dead. The vet/assistant needs to collect the sample and run the sample immediately.

That said, usually a little bright red blood here and there is not a problem, but I would do an x-ray to make sure everything is ok if it happens more often than not. I'd be looking for megacolon and distal foreign bodies.

Although as mentioned it is not unusual for kittens and puppies to have some GI issues especially when diet and supplements are changed.

o

my kitten had this problem right after I got her--the vet said it probably giardia. He also said that those parasites could be VERY hard to find in the sample (and they took it at the office). He put Sadie on a 10 day supply of an antibiotic and it fixed her right up.

o

Ours had coccidia when we got her (dx'd by our vet); course of Albon and it cleared right up.

At the shelter, stress can sometimes cause bleeding (according to the cat kennel staff).

o

Thank you all very much for the great advice. I will ask the vet if he thinks we should try an antibiotic in case it is giardia or coccidia. I think he was reluctant to give her any medication unless it doesn't clear up on its own. It's just strange that it is a healthy, normal-looking stool except for the last tiny little bit.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here