Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdagibson

Repeat Urinary Tract Infections

sdagibson
12 years ago

I have an eight year old female cat, Aja, who has never been sick a day in her life. Six months ago, we moved from Oregon to Oklahoma and approximately four months after we got here, she got very ill and was diagnosed as having a urinary tract infection. The first round of antibiotics did not take, and even though she was no longer acting sick, she was still having difficulty urinating (straining only, with low stream, but not bleeding, she's not even trying to go many times, but her flow is different than it used to be), so she was given a second round of antibiotics and I put her on S/D dry food for urinary health and give her some wet cat food every evening as a treat. She is also drinking water normally. She is now done with the second round of antibiotics, and seems back to her happy self, but her urination flow is still not what it used to be (a long steady flow) and I can tell she's straining to get it out. I am very worried. Does anyone out there have a cat who had difficulty shaking a UTI? Also, is there anything more I could be doing? I am starting to wonder if part of the problem might be our new town's drinking water. Any advice or shared experience would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (8)

• laurief_gw
    12 years ago

How was the UTI diagnosed? Was a urinalysis performed? Was a urine culture performed? Was the urine sample collected by cystocentesis (urine drawn directly from the bladder through a thin needle inserted through the abdomen), or was it collected after it was passed by the cat? If the urine sample was passed by the cat, there's a good chance that it was contaminated before it was even tested, therefore returning a false positive result.

From what I understand, idiopathic cystitis (urinary tract inflammation of unknown cause, NOT involving infection) is far more common in cats than UTI. A disturbing number of vets, however, treat for UTI with no supporting diagnostics or with questionable diagnostics. Obviously, if your cat has no infection, antibiotics are going to have no curative effect.

If you want to confirm the presence of a UTI, you're going to have to insist on urine collection by cystocentesis AND a urinary culture (not just a urinalysis) to identify the specific infective organism. Then and only then will your vet be able to prescribe an antibiotic specifically targeted at the infective organism.

Laurie

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

ditto... but I would also recommend getting a radiograph, too, particularly since you are seeing a decreased urine flow. This case is classic of FIC (Feline Inflammatory or Idiopathic Cystitis). For antiobiotics 'not to take' is extremely rare in true feline UTIs as few cats develop urinary tract infections from resistant antibiotics unless they have been treated over and over again (appropriately or not). As mentioned above, UTIs are pretty rare in cats in the first place (much more common in very old cats with renal failure, or cats with diabetes... but if neither of those pre-existing diseases, VERY rare).

• sdagibson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Laurie, your information was extrememly helpful. Prior to the first and second rounds of antibiotics, the urine was drawn directly from her bladder. However, after the second round, I collected the urine sample, refrigerated it, and took it in the following morning. They just called to let me know that "her white blood cells are not in the normal range and her protein is elevated." And I am taking her to them in the moring so they can draw urine directly from her bladder and also do an xray to see if she has bladder stones. But I think your advice to have them do a culture is wise, and I am going to do that. RE: lzrddr: She really seems to be on the mend, her heavy urine flow is back, since she has been eating Science Diet for urinary care, however, I have had a cat die of kidney failure and I am very scared that she has a deeper issue. Lzrddr: I will ask them to do a radiograph as well. Thank you both for your time in answering my post, I very much appreciate it.

• sdagibson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lzrddr: I wanted to elaborate on my saying she seems to be on the mend and get your opinion. She has 'off' days, if that makes sense. For example, regarding the urine sample that I collected from her Tuesday night - she peed just fine. It was her normal steady flow and she did not appear to be squeezing it out, however, the night before, she peed much less and appeared to have difficulty peeing. Could she possibly be in the healing process, given that in the past two weeks she's her normal purring self? Do either of you know anything about 'elevated protein levels' and 'white blood cells that are not in the normal range'?

• lzrddr
    12 years ago

is she on pain meds? Often that difficulty urinating is due to bladder pain and often just giving pain meds can take care of the entire problem. I hope she is one a canned diet. Science diet urinary care is good for keeping the pH where you want it, but if its dry, the urine will still get very concentrated and you may end up with cystitis still. A diluter urine will be less irritating, and the more water a cat takes in, the more dilute their urine will be (and canned food has a lot of water in it). Also canned foods have much less carbohydrates, which have also been implicated in many feline problems from urinary, to digetstive to dental etc. Canned food is the way to go!

• joepyeweed
    12 years ago

I've had my vet give a second medication along with the antibiotics to help control spasms.

• creekdweller
    12 years ago

I had a cat that was 11 yrs old. Vet diagnosed him with kidney failure after $$$$$ of test. I was advised to bring him back every month to get blood test done to see how it was progressing. I myself have interstitial cystitis, and I drink aloe vera juice. It does help, not heal. I am able to tolerate with meds. So, I brought Jasper home and started giving him aloe vera juice. At first I had force it down him with a syringe without needle. Then he must have began to feel better. I would say Jasper, do you want your juice. He would come running. Then I just took a bowl and kept it full of juice. When it would get empty, he would let me know. He lived to be 15 1/2 yrs old and I never took him back to the vet after the diagnosis.

Now, I am not a Dr. and do not recommend you not use your vet or do what you feel is right for your baby. I am just telling you what I did for mine and it worked and was a lot less cheaper. With my IC, antibiotics make it worse. I DO NOT take antibiotics unless it is an emergency.

I have given my other dogs and cats aloe vera juice as well when I notice they may feel bad and it has kept us out of the vets office.

This is just my humble opinion. Again, you do what you feel you need to do for yours.

Creek

• alan_s_thefirst
    12 years ago

What sort of diet? Dry or wet food? If dry, maybe you should try wet food. Dry food has been known to cause urinary issues.