Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelspur

Fence plans for dog that climbs fence

squirrelspur
9 years ago

We adopted a mixed breed dog from the animal shelter (they said she was a collie mix due to her ears, which do look like collie ears). At the time we adopted, my husband was out of work, so we thought she would have companionship the whole day. Well after 6 years of no work, he got a job offer so of course he took it.

We have a large fenced in area but the dog can climb over it. The area has a dog house with insulation that she can go in if it is cold. She appears to be a husky/lab mix with maybe some collie. She can climb a 6 foot fence. I thought if we put round pvc at the top of the fence then she couldn't get over.
Does anyone have any advice/plans for such a fence? We are out in the country and far from the road but I still don't want her running free as you never know. She is a sweet girl, good with our cats although she doesn't understand why they don't want to play!

She does come inside when we are home and sleeps inside. She also gets at least 1 long walk a day.

But I need advice on the fence please!

Comments (12)

• madismom
    9 years ago

Is your dog a fence-jumper? Try paw-proofing the top of your fences with a PVC 'roller bar' which dog paws can't hold onto. For more info check our Knowledgebase at http://bit.ly/1iU270l

RSPCA Australia

Is your dog a fence-jumper? Try paw-proofing the top of your fences with a PVC 'roller bar' which dog paws can't hold onto. For more info check our Knowledgebase at http://bit.ly/1iU270l

• jean001a
    9 years ago

What kind of fence do you have? If cyclone, it's very easy to climb.
    But you could add a section onto the top which angles inward. (Hmm, probably bad description. But the idea is as in the baseball backstop at the link below.)

In any event, sounds like she needs a friend and/or more human interaction and/or interactive toys.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2136056}}

• annzgw
    9 years ago

There are many additions you can add to the top of the fence (roll bar being one of them) but the most economical deterrent for a large area would be a hot wire. You could place one run of wire along the ground near the base of the fence and another near the top.
    There is a training process when introducing your dog to the hot wire so please Google for more info.
    I would suggest using a colored wire or tape for each run so she can easily see the 'hot wire', and install some flags near the wire on the ground as a reminder.....both for them and you!

• socks
    9 years ago

You can do a search to find some suggestions. Here's one I found. I hope you can figure out something. You might have to watch him to see exactly how he does it to decide what will work best.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog jumps fence

• squirrelspur
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. She is a great jumper and leaper and climber. She has a lot of toys and I feel badly that she doesn't get that human interaction during the day - however, our circumstances did change unexpectedly. She was adopted from a high-kill shelter (too many of them here in the southern U.S. and it is a rural county where people don't fix their animals (we do but despite so many low-cost programs so many people don't bother....the younger generation should know better....the dumping stories I could tell but won't as to not depress you.)).

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

I had a fence climber and put a charged electric wire across the top of the fence (this fence was 8' tall, yet she still would climb over). Never saw her get zapped (pretty low voltage- annoying and uncomfortable- I zapped myself accidentally once) but she has not tried to climb since⦠turned off the electricity a month later and for the next 6 years she did not try once to get out that way. I have heard of similar experiences with others that have used electric fences.. some even just 'lend' them out, since one zap and most pets will never try that route again, and you can give the set up back to the other person.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

A strand of electric at the top of mine worked really well for two dogs from the pound that were confirmed escape artist. If you buy the smaller dog unit you should be able to get one for under $30 and it regular flashlight batteries and only take a few minutes to hook up.

• emma
    9 years ago

I would put up something like prisons use, NOT razor wire. It is about 18 inches of fencing added on at the top that slants inward. When the dog gets to the top he can't climb over that. If I had cats again I would do that to keep them in the yard.

• mazer415
    9 years ago

If your dog is a husky, no matter what you do, she will get out. More leash walks, twice a day at least, teach her stupid pet tricks or to dance with you, huskies are smart and need extra stimulation, without it, they will keep getting out, these dogs are bred to be in motion for 8 hours a day. Once they are getting the brain worked, they are less likely to take off, good luck

• squirrelspur
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I have someone lined up to build a fence that hopefully will keep her in and I will share the information you all given. Appreciate it!

• hald
    9 years ago

Back in the 1970's I had a Golden Retriever named Fred who was a fence climber and escape artist. We had a 6 ft chain link fence he could easily jump or climb over, and another area of picket fence that he could pull the pickets off to get out. We tried all the suggestions above, and they worked for awhile. My mother finally attached a long rope to his collar with a large plastic milk container on the end. He then could safely climb over the fence or get through the pickets, but the milk container would lodge or get caught in the chain link and pickets and he couldn't get any farther away. Fred was a beloved dog and I still miss him (he died of pancreatitus at 17 years). He was escaping so he could be loved and petted on by kids walking to and from an elementary school. He finally learned not to jump or climb the fence or pull pickets off to get out. The rope and milk bottle might work for you. I feel your frustration and hope you find a solution.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Invisible fencing works. We had 3 Rotties who would work together to get over the chain link fence. We installed the Invisible Fence and it stopped the problem although their collars were fitted with the strongest shock without a warning beep.

Regular shocks didn't work, they were still going over.

Jane