Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Anyone have the Cat Genie?

freezetag
16 years ago

Saw this today and was curious:

{{!gwi}}

I tried the Litter Maid, but cleaning the rake, which tended to get clumped up, was harder than just scooping a regular litterbox. Wondering if this would be any better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat Genie web site

Comments (10)

• pkguy
    16 years ago

Looks too complicated to me, plus all that hooking up to the water line and having a drain hose hooked over the toilet bowl. Then having to remove the container or bag with stinky wet cat poop in it...at least with the litter maid it's dry LOL
    Actually I found a Litter Maid a few months ago at the Goodwill for $10 in perfect working order and I gave it to my cat owning sister.. She absolutely loves it. I mentioned to her some people didn't care for them regarding the poop sticking etc and she says she hasn't experienced that problem only that it took her a few tries to get the right level of cat litter in it to make it work properly.

• rivkadr
    16 years ago

I never liked the Litter Maid. It was a pain in the behind to clean.

There was a thread recently about automated litter boxes, that talked about a new kind that I personally found intriguing. The person who started the thread, I think actually bought one and is happy with it. You might want to look into it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Automatic Litter Box Thread

• rivkadr
    16 years ago

Incidentally, if you want to read some reviews of the Cat Genie, here are a couple.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epinions

• loramiller877_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

We have one for our 2 adult cats, and I absolutely LOVE it!

pkguy, there is no wet poo to scoop so I'm not sure what you mean - the whole point to the catgenie is that the machine fully takes care of all discharge so all you have to do is flush (if you've hooked up to the toilet).

I do have some comments though from our cats use of the machine:
    - Urine is typically the BIG smell with traditional boxes, but that is not an issue with the catgenie since that drains away immediately. However, unless your cat has allergies, I would strongly recommend that you always use the scented litter because the poop smell is pretty strong - using the hood might reduce/confine the smell better.
    - Having said that about the poo smell, keep that in mind if you are using a washroom hookup. The smaller size of the room will make the smell more intense. We have an extra washer hookup in our mechanical room, with direct discharge into the sewer, and we find this to be the optimal setup.
    - We greatly minimized the poo smell by adding Arm & Hammer scented baking soda to the litter after each cycle. I don't even notice it anymore.
    - I haven't used the auto cycling and prefer the manual cycle since it's just a push of the button to start, and I can ensure the cats are sleeping when it's on so they don't get spooked. When I get home from work, I go downstairs and sweep up any litter kicked out, dump it back in, push the "start" button, and walk away. How easy is that?
    - Both of our 4 year old cats adapted to this very very easily. And my enormous male who is usually afraid of his own shadow, pooped in it not even 5 mins after we had it set up lol
    - The base is a very generous size, which I worried about since one of my cats is huge! He's been able to maneuver around in it though with no problems at all.

That's all I can think of for now. But if you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

• runsnwalken
    15 years ago

Save your money for pet food IMHO

• loralee_2007
    15 years ago

Does anybody know why my email address is showing when my profile should show "My Page" like everyone else? I checked and it is suppose to be hidden....is there any way to change it?

• shaun
    15 years ago

I've heard of people using the Diaper Genie and it keeps the smell contained just like it does for diapers.

• jenc511
    15 years ago

I can't have one in my apartment (there's barely enough room in the single bathroom for a tiny trash can), but my mom has one for her two adult cats. As Loralee mentioned, you don't have to handle any waste, since it hooks up directly to a waste line or a toilet. Between the two of us, we've tried several different brands and models of automated litter boxes, and the Cat Genie wins, hands down. She also runs it on the manual cycle when she leaves for work, so she doesn't have to listen to it (it's in the laundry room adjoining the den).

For the ultimate in convenience for those of us who are lazy, you can add a Roomba to the mix to sweep up the litter, and you'll pretty much never have to do anything with your cats' litter box again. :)

• aprilb1
    14 years ago

The CatGenie is great, it eliminates the need to have to scoop litter every day. You hook it up to your water so the waste is automatically removed from the CatGenie. With the Littermaid you still need to empty it out.

• aprilb1
    14 years ago

The new CatGenie 120 is now available on their website www.catgenie.com