Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robin7500_gw

please help with a question about euthanizing a dog

robin7500
14 years ago

my dog was put to sleep yesterday and i am upset with how the vet chose to do the procedure. she was a very sick with pyometra and she was an older dog so the decision to put her to sleep was difficult but it was the right thing for her. but when the vet was getting everything ready i asked him if he was going to sedate her first and he said no that he was just going to give her the medicine that stops her heart. i asked why and his answer was that it would make it harder to find the vessels. it makes me very upset but when he injected her i know that she suffered greatly. this is my first dog that i have had to do this with and i believe that it could have been made a little easier if she was sedated. can anyone help enlighten me with the hope that this is normal to euthanize this way or would there be some other reason why a vet would choose to not sedate my beautiful dog. my husband felt that he was trying to save money but i would have paid double the cost if it meant making her comfortable. thank you for any help you provide.

Comments (66)

• martininurs_aol_com
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't even know if this is an active thread anymore. I am putting my dog to sleep next wk. It's the first time I've done this. I am terrified, have cried every day over the guilt I feel. All of your posts, and I have read every one, has helped me somehow. Like I said to my husband and my three 20 something daughters " for everyone who has loved a pet, there is a time for them to experience the loss of a pet." All of you, your words, sharing your experience is helping me get through this ugliness.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

I'm so sorry.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

(((HUGS))) Pauline. I tell people, it is the worst thing about the best thing in our lives.

Know that many here will be thinking of you next week.

• dianamo_1
    12 years ago

((((Pauline))))

My heart feels your pain.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I've been with two dogs in recent years when they were euthanized. Both were sedated, and one gasped and convulsed despite the sedation, the other didn't.

I've also seen people go into cardiac arrest, and some of them just fall over and others will briefly go into muscle spasms.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I stumbled on this post looking for something else. One of the posters mentioned giving their pet Acepromazine before going to the vet's office. Someone sent me an article about the use of Acepromazine for thunder terror and how it may look as if the animal is calm and relaxed, but it is possible that it just "freezes" a dog physically but not mentally.

• wildjane60_gmail_com
    12 years ago

We just had our dog euthanized yesterday. She had Cushing's disease for two years. She was 15 or 16. We had her since she fit in a slipper on our dashboard. When we finally took her in, she was having a hard time breathing, and eating. She could eat and breath but all was labored. She couldn't get up on the couch or up or down the stairs..Now that she is gone, I have realized that she had been so sick for so long that we had lost sight of the fact that she was a dog who couldn't do dog things anymore. All she could do was take a walk that totally exhausted her, and then be carried up the stairs to pant , drink too much water, pee in the house and strain very hard to have a bowel movement. It turned out when we brought her in for diarrhea that she had a huge mass pushing down on her colon and another one compressing her trachea. She was already on so many medicined. She slept with her watery eyes open panting, walked around in manic confusion, and could only eat sometimes. We had come to see this as a normal "life" for our dog. I am still devastated and so is my husband. We are empty nesters and we got this dog when our kids were still home and young. Our other dog died this year, we still have one young one we got after the kids left, but the two main ones we had for nearly half of our married life, is gone. This is leaving a hole that was already huge in our hears, really ripped out of our chests. The process was pre-sedation and my husband held her. He said she seemed relieved. It was the first time she wasn't struggling just to breathe. She had no life really. It was because of us that she was living like that for too long. We just didn't see it. I hope that whatever the universe offers to dogs that she is in a good place . I am still very disoriented and in pain for all this means.

• anniem0675
    11 years ago

I just came across this thread because my dog was put down yesterday. He was only five years old but he had perrinial fistulas that would not go away a d were causing him a lot of pain. My husband took him and said it was not a peaceful experience. The dog was sedated but when they gave the second injection he started having involuntary reactions. Is this normal? My husband said at the end he totally picked his head up and than fell down with his tongue out. He also had labored breathing. Does anyone know if this is normal and if my dog felt pain? We are very upset and miss him so much.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

I have found this thread extremely disturbing. In recent years I have insisted/requested that any animal of mine facing euthanasia be first put under with a hefty enough dose of sedative that they are completely unconscious before being given the shot to kill them.

I cannot stay with my pets and see them killed, but I stay with them until I am assured that they are completely unconscious. My husband has stayed with them when they were administered the final shot, and he told me that they never stirred. I have had general anaesthesia during surgery myself, and it produced instant and complete unconsciousness, so I do believe that my animals knew nothing once they were given sufficient dosage of the sedative.

After reading the experiences of others, I am very glad that I have chosen this painless option for my pets, and will definitely continue to do so in the future. I want the last thing they know to be the slip into total unconsciousness.

• ToadstoolTales
    10 years ago

Hello,
    I know its been awhile for you but I needed to find answers and you went through exactly what I did a couple of days ago. My 13 year old beloved chihuahua was euthanised due to congestive heart disease and she had a lot of fluid on her lungs that was making her very uncomfortable. The vet said it would be best to put her to sleep without offering any other solution. I was in such an emotionally distraught state that I had to make that decision without thinking of any questions to ask. I have never witnessed an animal getting euthanised before and did not know what to expect. My sister asked for her to have a sedative as she has always been a nervous dog, however, the vet said "she would not need it". Then I had to witness the most traumatic event I have ever been through.

My dog screamed and screamed and the vet could not get the needle in properly. I could not hold her properly as the vet kept asking the nurse to hold her by the scruff of the neck because she was snapping at her which is not the way I would have liked her to go! There was blood coming out of her legs which I do not know if this was normal or not. Then the vet told us to leave while I cried and cried outside for 5 mins. I do not know why she asked us to leave or what she was doing in there but when I went back in, our dog was completely dead. The vet offered her apologies for what happened and said "she didn't suffer much" which was no comfort at all! I then had to walk out to pay for it!

I feel sick to the stomach as I had to witness the most gentle dog in the world die in complete fear and probable pain. She was never sick or hurt a day in her 13 year old life and I will never EVER get over it. Those last moments are all I can think about and I cannot go about daily activities without feeling faint. How do you get over something like this? And why didn't she give her a sedative when we specifically asked for it!

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry.

There was no excuse for that to have happened. yet it does happen, & the vets that do it *never* apologize & *never* make any explanation.

If this were to happen to one of my beloved pets again, I'd post the whole story online, on every site I could find, including the vet's name.

If it's 'just one of those things', then the vet has no reason to object to its being made public.

• JEC1
    10 years ago

Hello,
    I am so sorry to hear what happened to you and your dog. I know what you are going through as we had a very similar experience recently. Our cat had to be put to sleep after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. We too were distraught. The vet gave us no time to discuss what the procedure would be. He instructed the nurse to take over holding the cat from me as the cat was struggling. She gripped him tightly by his neck with his head twisted round. No sedation was offered. Everything was rushed and we were in too much of a state to intervene. The vet basically ushered us out the minute the cat was unconscious. He didn't check for a heartbeat. I don't think the whole procedure could have taken him more than 2 or 3 minutes - this after keeping us waiting for half an hour while he was laughing and joking with his previous clients about someone they all knew. I don't think I will ever get over what happened. I feel like I should have stopped it straight away when the cat was struggling as his fur was clipped and I can't forgive myself that I didn't. Like you I hadn't been through this before and I assumed it would be peaceful. I live in the UK and I am determined to make a formal complaint to the RCVS here. I don't know how seriously they will take it, but I want the fact that what that vet did was NOT OK on record.I don't feel up to doing it yet but am definitely going to once I am able. I don't know where you live but I think it would be worth you making a complaint to the relevant body when you feel strong enough. I know what you are going through. I am finding it very hard to think about anything else except that traumatic scene. If these people don't care enough to treat sick animals ( and their owners),with compassion at the end of their lives, they shouldn't be practicing as vets. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

I had my 18 year old cat euthanised yesterday. Our regular vet was closed so we had to take her to an after hours emergency vet which was a difficult decision going to a vet we didn't know. I have to say they were very caring and did not rush things at all.

Firstly the vet nurse came in and spoke to us and had us fill out forms, she then took our cat out the back to put an iv catheter in her leg and brought her back to us. She left us for about 15 minutes to say our goodbyes, and then asked if we were ready for the vet or if we needed more time. The vet came in and explained what he was going to do, and also warned us that sometimes there are involuntary responses after the animal passes, such as twitching or spasms, or they may vocalise or seem to take a gasp of air. He wanted to be sure we understood this as being normal.

Then he injected something (possibly saline) into the catheter to check it was in properly. After that he injected the anaesthetic followed by the medication to stop her heart. He checked her heart and she was gone, it all happened in an instant. In future I will definitely insist on the iv catheter, it made the whole process very quick and easy when it came time to go ahead, and all I had to do was pat her and let her know I was there.

• JEC1
    10 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you ToadstoolTales for your reply. You words are very comforting,as you are right that the final moments in our pets lives were only a tiny part of their lives. It is just so sad to know that those moments didn't need to be like that. The vet does know how we feel as we had to phone to find out the details for the cremation - none of the information was given to us at the time - and we made known our feelings about what had occurred and asked they be passed on to the vet. I am going to make a formal complaint to the RCVS, maybe in a couple of weeks. From what I've read it does seem that it is hard to get any kind of action taken against a vet, but I believe they have to be notified if a complaint is made against them. Maybe that would make him think twice about his behaviour in future and spare other pets and their owners this ordeal. There is always the possibility that other complaints may have been made against him in the past. Maybe it would be worth you making an official complaint, but if not just to make sure you let everyone know by word of mouth not to go to that particular vet. You're right about some vets treating it as just a business and hitting them in the pocket is sure to hurt! I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again and take care. X

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

"Don't let a technician take him/her away from you and insist on a catheter and a sedation."

as far as the sedation goes, I asked the nurse if they would be sedating my cat first, and she said if she got stressed at all with having the catheter put in they would sedate her to make it go easier. From what she told me, our cat didn't put up much of a fuss, but she was very weak from anaemia. The thing about older animals is that sometimes the veins can be hard to find, and with the catheter they can take their time to put it in, when they are trying to find the vein with needles, I think it gets rushed to inject the medicines and they may be having difficulty at the same time finding the vein that quickly. The IV catheter makes it easy to administer the drugs quickly once it's in.

I think if a vet isn't using a catheter then are probably rushing things, but it doesn't have to be like that, and it's just an extra step for the vet or nurse to put one in ahead of time. When they inject the anaethetic into the catheter it puts them under, and then the medication to stop the heart is injected after that so the anesthetic acts as a deep sedative so they aren't aware of what is happening.

PS. I think threads like this one are very important for people to understand what to expect, and what to ask for. I had no idea, so I was just very lucky that the vet and his vet nurse were just caring and compassionate in their approach to us and our dear cat.

This post was edited by trancegemini_wa on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 6:20

• Carolyn777
    10 years ago

I'm glad I stubbled upon this forum as I was looking up more information on renal failure. It looks like I may have to make this decision soon with my 8yr old boy, who I rescued from the shelter at 5 monthes old. I found these posts heart breaking and yet also helpful. I've done this with 1 other cat. Well I did have 2 kitties one died at home because I didn't have the heart to take him to a strange place he passed away within about a week of his symptoms he was 16. My other kitty not so fast, she was quickly loosing weight and was stumbling, she was 18 they were buddies since about 1yr old. Due to money at the time I took her to my local shelter where they took her into another room while I waited in the lobby. It was heartbreaking I felt guilty that I wasn't in the room with her, but I just couldn't.
    This time though I'll be taking him to a vet. Its just so hard with a 13yr old dog at home that is pretty healthy and the younger's health is fading. Its like its a little easier when they are older, but still heart wrenching. My heart goes out to everyone on this post that has gone through this and is going through it now. In my heart I know he'll be at peace when the time comes.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Hugs, Carolyn.

I understand how you feel about losing your dog at such a young age. We lost our Corgi to cancer at age 10, and it was heartbreaking. But we don't regret letting him go. It's our responsibility as pet owners to ensure our furbabies are as comfortable as possible, and to do anything in our power to minimize or prevent their suffering.

I've so often seen folks wait too long to bring their sick pets in for the last time, not because there is any hope for the pet, but because they want the animal around longer for their own comfort.

The right decisions are hardly ever the easiest ones.

• Carolyn777
    10 years ago

Thank you this is true. His quality of life is the important part. Maybe if there was only one issue going on, but in his case there are several.

This post was edited by Carolyn777 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 10:19

• maxmom96
    10 years ago

For the the first time with one of my pups (age 17 years) I decided to be in the room when he was euthanized. I guess I was not told what to expect or else I was so upset that I didn't hear. Apparently he was not sedated first because when the vet told me he was gone what freaked me out the most was that his eyes were still open.

I did tell the vet some months later and he said that was good information to have, as all peole reactive differently. Now I wish I had read a bit more and would have known to ask about sedation.

• JEC1
    10 years ago

After my own terrible experience and reading of others I feel that the whole issue of euthanasia needs to be treated a lot more sensitively. Obviously there are some fantastic vets out there who show compassion to both animals and owners. However there seem to be too many who don't. Everyone who takes an animal to be put to sleep should be told all of the facts and given all of the options possible. Maybe vets should give this information, in the form of a booklet or leaflet when vaccinations are given or when owners visit for the first time. Nobody wants to dwell on this topic, but at least people would be informed and able to absorb the information
    and have the opportunity to ask questions when not in an emotional state. I really don't think it is up to the owner to ask what is going on during a euthanasia procedure when they would obviously in a very emotional state. In my own case everything was done so fast and I was so shocked I was unable to intervene. I also feel there needs to be much tighter regulation of vets.

• ToadstoolTales
    10 years ago

I couldn't agree more. We're the ones left with the memory of what happens while a vet moves on to the next job. I understand it must be difficult even for them but god knows how many euthanasias they would have to perform a week. But there is a fine line between getting on with the job and getting so used to the procedure that you have no empathy left and then things go wrong. I really hope a vet reads these posts. This is happening far too often.

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

"After my own terrible experience and reading of others I feel that the whole issue of euthanasia needs to be treated a lot more sensitively. "

absolutely, I just can't imagine how any vet can be oblivious to what an emotional and painful time this is, and to do anything to traumatize the animal or the owners and make it more difficult is just unacceptable IMO. I would be gutted if that happened to me JEC.

• JEC1
    10 years ago

It is so sad that so many people have had such bad experiences. It is not acceptable.

I found this petition for tighter regulation of UK vets. I'm not sure if it can be signed by people outside of the UK, but I think it can. I hope the link works.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-prime-minister-stop-veterinary-negligence-and-malpractice

There are also similar petitions for other countries. I am going to attempt to sign those too.

• Margaret Yates
    9 years ago

My beautiful 10 year old Choc Lab Maddie suffered a great deal whilst being euthanized 3 months ago and I am still angry ad upset that her last moments were so painful and frightening for her. When I had to have another of my beloved dogs euthanized many years ago the procedure was very quick and painless, he was given the injection and then just very quickly passed away peacefully.

This time my poor, beautiful baby was given 3 injections, none of which worked, all they did was make her distressed and frightened. I'm sure that the injections caused her pain as in the passed she has had jabs for various reasons and it has never bothered her at all but each time the vet injected her she'd cry out and struggle and all the way through the procedure she cried , wined and struggled to get away. I was holding her and kissing her head, talking to her and at the same time crying my eyes out. After the 3rd injection the vet said that she would have to give her a sedative to calm her down, she disappeared for a couple of minutes then returned with the sedative. Maddie was still struggling and crying when she was given the sedative. She fell asleep quite quickly then and as her cries softened and she struggled less my heart was breaking. The final injections were then given and Maddie passed away in my arms... I was asked if I wanted to be alone with her and I said yes. When the vet and nurse left I sobbed and told her I was sorry, she should never have suffered that way during her last moments ... She had a good life with very little suffering, just the odd minor ailments and was such a happy, healthy dog until she became ill and even after that she was given love and care until the day the vet advised she be euthanized for her own good as the pain would become worse. Yes it was the right thing to do but I wish I had chosen another vet and feel so guilty that I allowed her to die in such pain and distress... I don't think I will ever forgive myself for taking her there and will never make the same mistake again.

• mcnevawork
    8 years ago

I just had the same experience last night with my dog, her breathing was very intense and rapid and she was looking around and aware even after her breathing stopped, minutes after his heart stopped he was still gasping for air about every 10 seconds or so, this went on for several minutes as long as 5 or so, I was alarmed and notified the vet she said it was a release of air from the diaphragm but if this were true why did he breath in gasping not exhale as she suggested? He twitched for a while afterwards also and once his heart stopped he still moved like he was suffocating. It was very difficult to watch him. I have read many Artie's anout botched lethal injections on prisoners on death row to where they gasped and twitched fand doctors suggest it is actually excruciating but since they paralyze them they can not express their pain. I was shocked to know vets use the same method to euthanize pets. I feel they should always be sedated (unconscious from local anesthetic) why are more options not available im sure many pet owners would opt to pay more for a more peaceful passing

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

after reading most of these threads, i have to say i am horrified at some of the things that happened to your pets and my heart goes out to you, so sad...

we just had to put our beloved dog to sleep yesterday and we had a beautiful experience. it was one of the hardest things we ever had to do. the hospital just handled it so well, i can't say enough good things about the care she received and the way they handled her death. they gave her a sedative shot and then told us we had about 10 mins with her. she was awake and could see and hear us and so relaxed. then the doctor came back and gave her another sedative where she went into a deep sleep and then gave her the euthanasia shot and she was gone in about 5 seconds. not a whine, cry, movement or anything, she just went to sleep and then was gone. i can only hope others have this kind of experience in one of the worst situations and one in where u have to make one of the most difficult decisions ever. none of us wanted to do it, but it was truly the best thing for her. i just hope i said "i love you" and "you are such a good girl" enough before she passed.

• jjwindham
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My sweetheart, 2 year and 3 month old Australian Cattle Dog Pepper had to be put to rest Monday, July 13. She had been having partial seizures and slowly losing her vision and balance for the last few months. We took her to Auburn to try to save her, and she was diagnosed with a genetic, progressive brain atrophy disease for which there is no treatment and was expected to get worse. When we picked her up Friday she was not the same. She didn't seem to recognize us anymore, and she would pace around the house. I thought maybe she would snap out of it, but she became worse Sunday night and Monday morning. For three hours Monday she thought she was being attacked from all sides. I had to put pillows and blankets around to keep her from hurting herself, but she still managed to hit her head and cut her mouth. I could not let her continue to live like that. We got her a hamburger, chicken fries, and ice water on the way to the vet. I had heard about a sedative, but everything was moving so fast and I assumed the vet would make it as peaceful as possible. There was no sedative. The needle went in her left leg fine, but halfway through she panicked. They had to restrain her, pretty much choking her, and put it in her other leg. Then she went limp, and I had about 10 seconds while she was unconscious to try to remind her I love her. It was the saddest thing. She was such a sweetheart, even in the days when her mind was altered. I hope she didn't think I had turned on her in her final days. I don't know what was going through her mind then, as she seemed like she had advanced dementia. Here she is in her happier days of chasing balls and going to parks. She had a great 2 years before the disease really started to progress rapidly. Although she is finally at peace, I am so upset that her final moment of consciousness was in distress.

• Linda Doherty
    8 years ago

I'm so very sorry for your loss. She was far too young, but you did the right thing.

• sprtphntc7a
    8 years ago

jjwindham, so sorry for your loss, she was so young and such a cutie pie. you did the right thing. she couldn't be herself, couldn't be Pepper. i felt when our Tori couldn't be Tori anymore, then it was time. it would have been selfish on our part to keep her with us when she was suffering and couldn't do the things that made her happy...

our pets our only here with us for such a short time and it s our responsibility to give them the best life we can for as long as we have them. i am sure u did that with Pepper. i am sure she knew u loved her.

• jjwindham
    8 years ago

Thank you both for your encouragement. Remembering her happier times helps.

I'm sorry for your loss of Tori. It sounds like she was lucky to have you care for her.

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

We had a dog of ours put down and the vet first gave him a sedative, waited about 20 minutes and then injected the green stuff. Max by then was already laying down, having first explored the area while we waited for the sedative to take effect. He had a grand time. This vet is a particularly relaxed one, has ducks and chooks all over the place, cats poking their noses out of strange places, lots of trees and bushes that all need sniffing. Max thought he had died and gone to Heaven long before he did.

• beyersg75
    8 years ago

Hi all

I had my poodle put to sleep yesterday as she was 14 and a half and he had difficulty with lifting her back up to walk. It was not a hasty decision but we knew he could not go on like this. The vet told us that he was dehydrated and that his kidneys were busy giving in. He said if he cannot find a vein in the one leg, he will have to inject him in another leg, but we will have to leave if he cannot get it right. I asked him if he is going to hurt my dog, but all he said was, lets hope he can find a vein, which I thank the Lord he did. He injected my dog and his assistant held my dog as the vet said they know how to hold them, in case the dog moves. My hubby and myself were looking in the dog's eyes and my doggie looked as if to say bye and thank you, without a tjank. They just laid him down and we stayed and held him a bit. But what I would like to know, is why did the vet say that if he does not find a vein, we will have to leave. What would he have done? I could not ask as I was crying too much. PLEASE EVERYONE, I KNOW IT IS HARD, BUT AS SOON AS YOU SEE YOUR ANIMAL STARTING TO NOT BE HIS JOYFUL SELF AND YOU THINK HE IS SUFFERING, PUT HIM TO SLEEP. I did not want to liston and held on to him as long as I could, but it is so wrong....

Strongs for everyone that still have to go through this...

• beyersg75
    8 years ago

Sorry, I see I was typing him and her..Still so confused with what happened. My poodle is a male dog.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

Ah, beyersg, I'm so sorry.

You did absolutely the right thing, the thing that we obligate ourselves to do when we bring home that wiggly, tail-wagging, bouncy little puppy.

Take care of yourself.

• mfree4099
    8 years ago

We had our dog pts tonight..worst ever..the vet came to our house.he gave her a shot when she was still not sleepy he gave her another..then he gave her a third and for 10 minutes she was crying and howling in the worse pain ever..she's been with us for 13 years and this truly broke our hearts.when she finally feel asleep and then gave her the fourth shot it was such a relief..it was so wrong and I don't think he should even have a licence..it was horrible...rest in peace the hurt for you is gone but I will never forget the pain he put you in and we are truly sorry

• HU-829893
    8 years ago

3 weeks ago I took my 12-yr old boxer Nikki in for euthanasia. Her spine had deteriorated to the point where her back legs didn't work. She also had bad arthritis in her front legs. The vet (owner of the clinic) came in with 3 syringes. I couldn't do it, so I took her home. In the past few days, she was constantly crying so I knew she was now in pain. I took her back to the vet yesterday (got a different doctor). He had one big syringe with a pinkish liquid that killed her instantly. While I didn't want her to suffer, I felt this was a horrible horrible way for her to go. I wanted to "walk her thru" to her next life. I am feeling I will be living with this guilt for a long long time.

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago

I hope you can lose the "guilt!" At some level your dog had to be grateful to no longer be in constant pain and again at some level had to be grateful for the love and care you provided over its life.

You did the right thing for your dog!

• gregwanner
    8 years ago

We put our Shiba Inu who was a few months short of 15 years yesterday. We had the vet come to the house to make it easier on him. I asked her if she sedated him first and she said it was all in one. He began to breathe hard immediately after the injection and lasted for around 10 seconds. His jaw made a couple gasps after a few seconds apart and she said that was just the muscles contracting. I don't believe any of it and wasn't impressed with how it went. I feel he was being suffocated by his lungs quitting. I might as well had shot him.

• glaserberl
    8 years ago

When we had to have our dog put to sleep a year ago the vet came to the house. She used two different drugs and he went very peacefully. No gasps, yelps or jerking movements.

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago

There are multiple ways to humanely euthanize a pet, however sometimes the procedure does not go as smoothly as hoped for. I hope nobody is posting here that a Vet is intentionally making this process more traumatic.

The focus should be on how much we loved our pets and how much they benefitted from our care and concern, including when to end any suffering.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't think anyone is accusing a vet of *intentionally* making euthanasia more traumatic, but I do have experience of an idiot, incompetent, arrogant, a##hat of a vet who argued with the owner of a sick elderly dog, firmly steering her toward heroic measures, smugly saying that he would always be "on the side of the animal".

When she insisted (dog was terminal, her recently-deceased husband was the only one who could give him pills, etc), he tried *4* times to find a vein.

He finally pumped the euthanasia drug into a collapsed vein, causing the meds to flow into the dog's muscles, burning the dog & making it scream.

so then he tried another collapsed vein, with the same result.

With the dog shrieking in pain, he finally, angrily, stomped out of the room & returned with a machine that was used to administer anesthesia for surgery.

He roughly put the mask over the dog's face, & when the dog became unconscious, the vet pumped in a great deal of euthanasia drug.

I think that's the kind of veterinary experience people are sharing when they're write about horrific experiences with euthanasia.

• susie6034
    8 years ago

My husband & I had to put our sweet 15 year old girl down yesterday. We were both comfortable with our decision mo matter how heartbreaking it was. Her kidneys were shutting down. The vet administered a sedative that did not seem to relax her much. They then took her in the back to insert a cathater in her front leg. As soon as the vet started to inject Mirsy wirh the solution, she screamed, struggled. We were horrified. The vet did not stop as much as we pleaded to stop hurting her. After the needle was empty, the vet realized the catheter came out of the vain. The cold thick solution was not entering her vein. It had to be painful. Mitsy screamed for at least 5 minutes. The vet inserted another cathater in her hind leg. By this time 20 minutes has past, Mitsy is whimpering the whole time, still alive. The vet injected a second dose and we watched her slowly die for 1 hour and 10 minutes after the first 20 minute attempt. We watched our sweet baby scream, whimper, gasp and slowly die for 1 & 1/2 hours. We spent 15 years insuring Mitsy was never in pain and always felt safe with her Mom & Dad. The thought of her pain, struggke, confusion, panic for 1& 1/2 hours is the stuff nightmares are made of. Has anyone ever experienced this lenght of time for 2 injections to euthanize their pet. How long was she fighting to live, how much pain did she experience. I feel like something went wrong, maybe the wrong medicine. The vet said she could not administer any more solution. Why? Let's face it, it's not like too much was going to kill her. That was the original intention.. My husband and I obviously felt like we made a terrible decision. Mitsy must have been so healthy, how else could she survive 2 full injections meant to euthanize her? I know that thought is not true but hard to not think it. I will never forget her struggle, looking to us as she screamed to help her. It would help to hear from anyone that unfortunately experience such a prolonged nightmare. My heart goes out to everyone's story Ive read on this site. Thank you

• pudgeder
    8 years ago

Susie, I am so sorry that your experience was so bad.

To me it sounds like malpractice. Just so sad.

• trancegemini_wa
    8 years ago

susie what a horrible ordeal you went through, my heart goes out to you. When I had my old cat euthanized the vet injected something into the catheter first, Im not sure what it was but it looked like saline or something, and he turned to me and said he was just making sure it was going into the vein before the other injection was used. It sounds like your vet didnt do this. I don't know what to say to you, what you went through was just inexcusable by the sounds of it. Hopefully you can find a way to get past it and focus on the joy and love your girl brought to your life, I know, easier said than done after such a traumatic event.

• oneryangel12
    7 years ago

If you can no longer care for a pet, post your pet on Rescue Me! Dot com. Don't forget the explanation mark, it helps you find the right place on the web. its free and easy to use and very efficient.

• Carole Middleton
    2 years ago

My dog had a bad reaction to the SEDATIVE crying,barking for like 3 minutes. This was the sedative b4 the euthanasia

• Jacob Bines
    2 years ago

You took a right decision. Big hurt and difficult emotions... for dog owner and for pet... Sometimes we love animals, sometimes are angry, but always we are feeling empathy for animals as they are to us.

• HU-726792410
    2 years ago

We tried to find a vet that was compassionate, read reviews and drive two hours. He was 16 years old, in the last three weeks his arthritis and spine got worse and he was very nauseous bc of kidney disease. I did everything to make his last few days as comfortable as I could, and told him constantly how much I loved him. Sadly, whatever the vet used to sedate him made him start chattering his teeth and I could see his head throbbing. I'm not sure how long it lasted, it's all kind of foggy even though this was just two days ago. August 9,2021. All I can see is him snapping at the air and the chattering. As she was doing the second injection, he was taking shallow breaths, she said he was trying to die on his own. Whaaat? She also told me that it was anesthesia, not a sedative?? I sent her text telling her how she had made him suffer. He was weak, didn't struggle, and he trusted me. This guilt is so heavy in my heart.

• Stax
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

So sorry your pet and you were subjected to this!

I have had dogs for over sixty years. With one exception I was present for every euthanization. Sadly, not every procedure went smoothly, but I hope my pets took some comfort from my presence! From your post it would seem you feel your pet was comforted by you.

Do you think the Vet did something wrong?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner