Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth of dog's nails

Posted by carmen_grower_2007 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 10:03

I heard that if you never clip a dog's nails, the quick will grow longer and you will never be able to get the dog's nails short. Is this true?

Our lab is so active that her nails stay short but since we have had so much snow, she can't run outdoors like normal. She is almost 2 yrs. now and we have never trimmed her nails and wonder if it is necessary since in the spring, they should wear down naturally.

In the past, we always trimmed our dog's nails, but this is the first dog that we have ever had that can be free outdoors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth of dog's nails

The quick will grow, but if you start trimming every week or so as close to the quick as possible, it will recede again. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My dogs' get their nails trimmed maybe 2-3 times a year and they are indoor most of the time. Their quicks haven't gotten too long.

o
RE: Growth of dog's nails

i have to dremel my greyhounds' nails once a month...but the quicks have really receded, esp in the female-her nails were a mess when i got her, so long, must have really painful, as long nails push back on the entire toe structure...so i have just been working away at them bit by bit and they are quite good now. I have a much happier greyhound! When I got her, she did not want to go for a walk at all, and now she's the first one at the door!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here