Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20179693

My cat doesn't want to stop eating!

User
10 years ago

Need advice and/or suggestions, I have a female cat who is 22 mths. old and just wants to eat and eat. I give her the recommended allowance on the bag. She eats her food up then tries to eat my other cat's food. I have increased the food and she still eats it all up in 10 minutes. I don't know if she's still growing? thought kittens were done at 1 yr. or she doesn't know her limit as far as eating..I don't want her to become obese, she cries for more food during the day, gets fed morning and evening. Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• laurief_gw
    10 years ago

Is she spayed? If not, is there any chance she's pregnant?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, she's spayed. I don't know if the food is satisfying her either.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I have been kind of wondering the same thing about my nine month old cat. Since she's still growing I thought I should feed her however much she wanted which is A LOT but now I think she's getting fat. It seems like she has a pin head on a too big body.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Ditto what laurief said, but I just want to add that I don't think that feeding twice a day is enough, and it definitely won't be enough if you switch to canned food. My gal eats canned food 3-4 times a day and hasn't gone beyond her 10# weight.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok thanks so much! I will switch her over to canned, and feed her 3x a day, to see how that works. She's not a big cat, which makes me think if she does keep eating the dry food she will definitely become overweight. I appreciate the input.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Our smallest cat (a former feral) eats much more than any of the other cats. He is 3 yrs. now but has always eaten constantly. He is very healthy but on the small side. I think he recalls his 'starving days' when he was a kitten and worries that someday the food will be gone. Also, he is the only one that I don't ever see hunting.

These are all indoor/outdoor cats so none are overweight - their diet is kibble and mouse.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I'll ask the obvious............has she been recently wormed?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No she's strictly an indoor cat. Never goes out.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

She can still get parasites. Have a fecal sample checked.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

Ill just repeat what others have said about kibble - it is addictive to, maybe not all, but many cats. Diabetes is skyrocketing in cats and dogs because of their diet. I have found that a diet of canned (as grain free as possible) + a bit of meat satisfies my guys - they're not whining to be fed every 2 minutes.

Which reminds me. I do need to get back to my own minimal grain, no sugar, natural foods diet myself... for pretty much the same reasons.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Kittens can be born with worms and all cats should be wormed in kittenhood, with the appropriate wormer. They can also get worms from grooming, if they happen to groom themselves and ingest a flea.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Taking her to the vet today to make sure everything's okay..hoping she's okay and it's nothing serious. She's a sweet kitty.

• nick_kotz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have the same problem with my cat he's 1 and half years old and eats excessively. He has been wormed and has nothing wrong with him. Ever since I got him he has always scoffed his food he eats it so fast that he throws up and then eats his throw up. He will growl if you get close to him when he eats and we have to put him in a seperate room because he will steal our other cats food. Lately he has been jumping the fence and eating the neighbours cats food which is for 4 cats and he eats it all. He growls at the other cats eats all the food and comes home hungry. I read an article that he could be eating out of Bordem but I'm not sure you could be playing with and if he smelt food he would go for it every time. Can anybody shed some light on why he is so hungry and does anyone else have this problem.