Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

meet "jackson"

Ninapearl
11 years ago

this boy was turned into the humane society in kansas city, missouri, when his drug addicted owner decided to kick him outside. he spent a month in the cold and ended up skinny and frost bitten. owner turned him in because he said "all he did was whine at the door to come in the house." he was pulled by a rescue and his information was sent to me by one of my dane friends. he will be coming HOME in about 2 weeks. looking forward to giving him a warm bed and lots of good food!!

these pics were taken yesterday, right after he got back from his neuter surgery. he was still a bit sedated so he looks a little wobbly!

i am told he is just a big love bug, all he wants is a lap to sit on. he gets along well with other dogs and doesn't know a stranger. healthwise, he's a little rough around the edges right now but a few weeks of tlc and good food will make him a new dog! he is 4 years old and it's obvious from his lovely crop that at one time, he was well cared for. honestly, i don't know what goes through some people's minds!

Comments (33)

• jomuir
    11 years ago

He's a handsome boy! It's awful the way some people treat their pets, but Jackson won't have to worry about bad treatment any more. Soon all he'll have to worry about is when his next walk is, or which bed or couch to snuggle & nap on. Thank heavens for rescues!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm so happy for him! I can't begin to describe what I feel for people who abuse animals like that.

• Rudebekia
    11 years ago

Congratulations and thanks for your loving heart!

• Lily316
    11 years ago

What a doll. I'd like to take his previous owner and throw him in the backyard.

• ladybugfruit
    11 years ago

What a sweet boy! Congrats!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

He's a beauty and he's one lucky boy to end up at your house!! Congratulations. I hope he settles in seemlessly and that your other pups welcome him with open paws.

Some people should just not have any animals at all.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, everybody! talked to the rescue lady to check in on him yesterday. he's had a pretty rough couple of days recovering from everything. besides being neutered, he had to have a broken tooth removed so he's been ouchy at both ends. erin says he is obsessed with food but she sees this often in dogs that have been denied regular meals. once he realizes he WILL get a next meal, he will settle down. i plan to start him on raw immediately.

we have had a few play dates with other dogs, including danes, both out here at the farm and away from home. both pea and bentley did great, no problems, so i am confident they will be fine with jackson. :)

• calliope
    11 years ago

I am so happy he is ending up at your place. Since I spent a good part of my childhood with a Dane at my side, I have the upmost awe of these magnificent dogs and to hear about how he was treated in his past really angers me. They are totally gentle and loyal dogs when they are in their element and it takes a special owner to do right by them because of their food needs and that translates to quality foods and lots of it. You can imagine the generic junk he must have eaten at his last home (when he was fortunate enough to get it, I imagine). Karma ......... what goes around, comes around.

He is particularly handsome with gorgeous markings. My little Iggy/JR mix is black and white like that and I find it particularly pleasing. Bet you are anxious!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i am VERY anxious to get him here! he is coming on the 24th. i'm taking a few days off work so i can be here 24/7 to make sure his transition is flawless.

yesterday, his foster mom left him alone in the house for a couple of hours. it was a test as he seemed to get anxious when she was out of his sight. she said he did great, slept on the couch the whole time she was gone, greeted her at the door quietly with a whole body wag. he sounds like a dream!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'd like to take his previous owner and throw him in the backyard.

I'm ok with that as long as he lands drunk in a huge fire ant mound.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

I stopped at the dog shelter to get my two dogs' licenses and I saw they had a full grown black dane there. He was nothing but skin and bones and yet his tale was wagging. He wasn't available for adoption yet, obviously, but he seemed to be a real sweetheart. I don't know what his history was, poor baby.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"He was nothing but skin and bones and yet his tale was wagging."

so typical for a dane. i will never understand how a person can get a giant breed dog and then not feed it enough. i always think "what part of GREAT dane don't you understand??" sometimes it's just misinformation but many times, it's simple neglect. i hope this boy finds the perfect home soon!

drunk in a pile of fire ants...yeah, that'll work!!

• dzyg
    11 years ago

Wow, he sure is a beautiful boy! Thanks for taking him in...

• jackieblue
    11 years ago

He sure does look like he is enjoying being warm. WTH is wrong with people thinking they can leave a dog with no undercoat outdoors in cold weather? It should be mandatory for anyone who throws a dog out in the backyard to live alone and cold to suffer the same fate so they can see how much it hurts.

Thanks for taking Jackson home Ninapearl. You're a good soul.

• vicki7
    11 years ago

I agree with you, Jackieblue. I'd love for some of these idiots who mistreat dogs to get a taste of their own medicine, just once! Jackson is such a handsome fella. Bless you, Ninapearl!

• kim_okla
    11 years ago

He's a beautiful guy ninapearl and I like his name.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

What a beauty! He must be so overjoyed to be in from the cold with enough to eat everyday. Poor guy! He'll be living the good life with you, Ninapearl, that's for sure.

• lisa11310
    11 years ago

Nina Pearl strikes again! LOL I know you just can't help yourself! Gotta love ya! You are an Angel!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, lisa!! i lost my senior dane girl in august, 2011. it's only been in the last few months that i have been able to think about bringing another dane home. i've had a few chances at some very nice rescues but they just didn't call to me like this guy does.

i've had 2 females together but never 2 males other than play dates. my hope is that he will settle in without a problem. they tell me he is a very submissive dog...one warning from another dog that he's getting too personal and he stops, walks away, and never tries it again. this happened the first day with the rescuer's resident chihuahua and now, jackson is afraid of him. 4# vs. 130# LOL!

thanks for all the kind words. it breaks my heart to see so many danes end up in rescue because of abuse and neglect. i wish i could take them all!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cara picked jackson up from his foster home yesterday. he'll spend a couple of days with her and then she will be bringing him here on thursday. getting SO excited!!

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see your new pack, Nina!

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sad to say, it didn't work out with jackson. he is a sweet dog and a dane through and through, he got along great with pea and bentley BUT, he is NOT pig-safe. he tried every which way to get over the fence and there's no doubt in my mind, eventually he would have accomplished his goal. it was a deal breaker for me as he would have had to be taken out on leash every time he went outside.

i know they will find him a great home very soon, it just wasn't meant to be mine. :(

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that, ninapearl. I know you were super excited to get him, but also that you must protect the pigs at all cost. At least they know this about him and can place him in the right home now.

I'm sure it won't be long until another deserving dane crosses your path. :)

• calliope
    11 years ago

Danes were once used to hunt wild boar. Ironic. He as so beautiful. No, you can't put your piggies at risk.

• cindyandmocha
    11 years ago

Nina, eventually you will get the right dog for you. We've lost a lot of dogs over the past few years and something just isn't *RIGHT* for us right now.

When it's right we will know it.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i got a message from cara last night. it seems somehow jackson got himself trapped in her husband's office and tore the room to shreds. then yesterday, when they tried to leave the house, he went right for the window screens. obviously, something happened in this boy's past that has impacted him greatly. i do think he will need a stay-at-home mom or dad to be able to deal with his apparent separation anxiety. poor guy. :(

for now, i'm just gonna stay with what i have. pea and bentley are such great dogs! i have absolutely no qualms about leaving them alone with the run of the house all day. on the days i am home, they have an open dog door and have free access to go in and out at whim. i am spoiled rotten by these dogs!! :)

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i got a message from cara last night. it seems somehow jackson got himself trapped in her husband's office and tore the room to shreds. then yesterday, when they tried to leave the house, he went right for the window screens. obviously, something happened in this boy's past that has impacted him greatly. i do think he will need a stay-at-home mom or dad to be able to deal with his apparent separation anxiety. poor guy. :(

for now, i'm just gonna stay with what i have. pea and bentley are such great dogs! i have absolutely no qualms about leaving them alone with the run of the house all day. on the days i am home, they have an open dog door and have free access to go in and out at whim. i am spoiled rotten by these dogs!! :)

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

Awww .. poor beautiful boy ... sorry it didn't work out for you, but glad the piggies are safe.

• cindyandmocha
    11 years ago

Nina I half expected to see you got a new fish or a new pig when I opened this thread. I've been remiss in reading my posts lately due to a new job.

I reeeeeally need to post new pics of Boo and Ginger and how they are getting along. Brian and I have decided we've been very bad parents with Boo. He is still a 2 year old untrained "baby". I swear this dog thinks he is still 8 weeks old.

It's all our fault of course for not training him. I promise to post more soon.

I'm with the above poster - smart to stick with what you have until you are equipped to do more. The right thing always happens.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, cindy! i'm maxed out on pigs...4 is all i have room for. with pigs, it can be dicey adding new ones to the herd. sometimes, a new pig will get the crap beat out of it before it is finally accepted by the others. i have been SO lucky that it's never happened here but that really is an exception to the rule. i worried quite a bit when i brought harley home because he is (and will always be) so much smaller than my other 3. after only a week of being separated from the others by a fence, i turned him loose with them and didn't have a single problem. one of these days, i hope to get a picture of all 4 of them sleeping in a pile together. the problem is, when they see me coming, they all jump up and run to the fence for treats!

i am cycling a new 29 gallon tank so i'll have new fish pics for you in a couple of months! :D

and yes, you need to get off your lazy butt and post some pics of boo and ginger!!!

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

So sorry this adoption did not work out for you. :-( I hope he will be able to find a suitable home where there are no pigs and he's not left alone. He's a great looking dog.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jackson went to his new forever home on saturday where he has a mastiff sister. dad works from home, mom is there most of the time so it's a perfect solution. yay for jackson!!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    11 years ago

What great news!! I know that makes you feel good!! And nice that he has a sister too. I hope they will keep you in the loop on his progress.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH