Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bootspur

My cat is eating poorly...

bootspur
13 years ago

After 7 years in one home I purchased another one a few miles across town. Just the kitty and myself I thought there would b no problem. But, from day one she hid mostly AND didn't eat too much although she was pretty well on schedule to bug me each morning and evening for a little canned food to accompany the dry that stays within her eating area 24/7, but I noticed she wasn't really digging into either her canned OR her dry food's AND wasn't her normal insistent-self @10p each night for her treat. So, her eating has been considerably reduced from her normal intake, AND her appetite is off for her treat.

I am in an L3 para in a wheelchair and the house required some construction-mod's to make it entirely accessible for me so for the first 2 weeks loud power tools and workers kept sketchy-cat (I call her sketch) was terrified and hiding... Now, some of you may think that it was cruel for me to basically dump her into this new environment so that she could be properly "tortured" and I would be one of those in agreement with those of you who feel this way, but it was a hundred percent unavoidable in my estimation, since having never been outside the ONLY shots I have ever gotten for her were the first year's vaccinations so that boarding her would have been impossible without them.

She was pleasingly plump on December 8th, 2010, but today January 2nd she is thin. Now, all of this said her eyes appear normal, her hair isn't all of a sudden falling out in clumps or anything at all like that. She still climbs to the top of her "tree" to sleep (One of those things one can purchase at Pet Smart for kitties.) and sleeps as she normally has during the day. Oh, and she is still happy to drink water...

Some of you who are smart about cat things please chime in here, please I am certainly concerned about sketchy and love her very much. Oh, the workers have been out completely now for about 4 to 5 days. And nothing about her diet is different prior to OR post move.

Comments (7)

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

how old is sketchy? and have you noticed an increase in her water drinking, any other changes? It could be stress of moving house and the construction noise but if she is getting up there in years it could also be a sign of old age illnesses such as kidney/thyroid disease etc which is why Im wondering about her age.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    13 years ago

Good suggestions. I would also look into anything in the area of 'cleaning/new smells', fresh paint, rug shampoo, etc.. Cats, as you know, are extremely sensitive to that. Did your new place have cats or dogs before you moved in?
    For stress (very real in her case -- loud noise is terrifying in itself, let alone new surroundings), you may want to try Rescue Remedy. You can get Sketchy in a small area and little by little open up her area. How about taking her food away (to make her hungry) and just put it out 2/3 times a day? If she is not eating, you can try baby food (no onions), tuna juice on her soft food... Can you get her to play? (exercise is a great appetite stimulator). If all fails, a vet visit will be in order.. SOONER than later!
    and give her as much attention and reassuring as you can-- of course, you know that.
    My very best to you both, and keep us posted.
    Anne-Marie

• quasifish
    13 years ago

I am also wondering what age Sketchy is. My girl was 11 around the time our DD was born. She had lost quite a bit of weight and we figured the baby stressed her. Turned out she was hyper-t and the timing was purely coincidental. It's an easy blood test to see where thyroid and kidney values are.

OTOH, since you have had serious disruption in your household for so long, perhaps she is just stressed from having workmen around. The few times we've had workers in our house, our cats have acted very uncomfortable for a time around that. Maybe give her a couple more days and some extra comfort cuddling to see if she settles down and goes back to her old routine.

One thing that I remember very strongly about my cat at the time she was diagnosed with hyper-t was that she obviously hungry, and you could hear her stomach growling, and she would beg. But when you put the food out for her, she would not eat much. That's a sign that they are nauseus and not feeling at all well. If you notice her doing this sort of thing, then I'd just get her to a vet without wait and see.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

My guess would be the change in her environment plus the noise and confusion remodeling can bring. That said, stress can exacerbate medical conditions otherwise not noticed. I'd give her a few days and try baby food to entice her, and if she doesn't improve, take her to the vet.

• laurief_gw
    13 years ago

I wouldn't wait. Take her to the vet tomorrow and have bloodwork run to check kidney and liver function, as well as a Total T4 to check her thyroid. A plump cat who doesn't eat adequately is at high risk of developing potentially fatal hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver), which is why it's so important to get bloodwork done now to make sure her liver's OK.

It also might help to go to a pet store and buy some Feliway or Comfort Zone spray and/or diffusers to use around your house. That may help calm her nerves.

Laurie

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

Any cat that loses weight that fast has something wrong with it... and a cat that was 'plump' and now is said to be still be drinking her water well puts diabetes high on the list of possibilities along with hyperthyroidism and various disgestive abnormalities (IBD etc.). I agree with testing SOON.

• bootspur
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay.. It sounds like I am going to the Dr. It is so odd that she was in perfect health until a day into this move, it was like a switch was flipped once we moved into what I would describe as a WAR zone, after living in the same place for 7 years... And allow me to clear something up, she was not an obese kitty, she was real healthy looking you could tell that she had a good appetite, but she looked good, kind of like she would whup your ass if she took a mind to.. A big girl, pretty "white tabby, although she is a powder gray with tiger stripes, a white blaze a pair of spats, and a pair of boots.. Gorgeous kitty, and she knows it too.