Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantoretire_did

Matting on Cat's back

wantoretire_did
13 years ago

We are cat-sitting DS cat this week. She has several mats along the ridge of her back. Is this something a groomer can take care of, or would it be better for a vet to do it. This is all new to me.

Also, she has been here 2 nights and one day so far and hasn't used the litter box that I can tell. Might this be normal for being in a new place? She knows us from a 12 day stay with DS couple of months ago, but this is her first time in our house.

Comments (4)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    13 years ago

Hi wantoretire, and how are you? I remember you from a plant exchange with Dawn a few years ago in Schenectady and from the Upstate Forum. I remember your struggles with the garden from h...! We are now in Maine.

Anyway, if the owner has not left the cat's brushes with you, you can get a wire brush or a comb. Would she let you groom her? I am sure she would feel better.

As for the litter box (a more serious issue), did you show her where it was and put her in when she came so she would know? Cats are very attached to their own surroundings, and it takes them a while to adjust. Can you get in touch with her 'parents'? Also, has she been eating?? Any change in food? SHe may be missing her parents... but she has to eat and use the box!
    You may want to restrict her to ONE nice room (with windows and ways for her to look out and find a snug place to hide), so that she familiarizes herself with her new place more quickly. It is often easier on cats to go to their own place a couple of times a day than have them come to the caregiver. How long will you have her for?
    Well take care,
    Anne-Marie

• bizabet
    13 years ago

depends on the mats--if they are small you can work them out yourself. If they are really bad, it's a job for someone with experience. If you do try to get rid of them, I suggest slipping a finetooth come-like a flea comb-between the matt and the cat's skin. That way you can carefully cut the matt out. If you can't get a comb between matt and cat, I wouldn't try it. I've heard that working cornstarch into the matts makes them easier to release.

Foodwise--has the cat eaten/drank since you've had her? Are you sure she hasn't gone to the bathroom somewhere else? I've known very stressed cats that will find a safe spot and refuse to come out. Do you have other pets around her--if so isolate her with litter and food and keep an eye on her. If she's not drinking you can't let her wait much longer before getting something in her.

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both - I will try using corn starch, then use a comb. She is eating, drinking and using the litter box now.

Anne Marie, of course I remember you! Sending you an e-mail.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

My long haired cat gets mats -- impossible to comb out -- I use sharp hair cutting shears to cut them out.