Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) in dogs

Posted by kim_okla (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 2:41

I want everyone to know about this disease. My sister has dealt with this 5 times with her mini doxies and two other dogs. It happens quickly, is brutal and vets don't know what causes it.

Here is a link that might be useful: HGE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) in dogs

Not much to know. Hits dogs suddenly, mostly smaller breeds but has impacted larger breeds as well. Vets are uncertain as to its cause.
Whenever I hear about sudden onset of diseases like these I automatically think about diet and the by-products used in so many dog foods. Food whch is loaded with grains and corn which contain pesticides, insecticides,herbicides, Meat by roducts from animals which have been ill treated. Small Breeds are more suseptible to toxics becuase they are closer to the ground, where cleaning products and chemicals put on plants and lawns are more easily inhaled or ingested. I hope they find a cause and cure soon.

o
RE: Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) in dogs

We see a lot of HGE during the holiday season, and the article above is pretty good at explaining it, how it is diagnosed and treated. I don't have much to add to it, other than very severe cases sometimes do not survive, but well over 95% do well with hospitalization, fluids, antibiotics, antiemtics and close monitoring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here