Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyslopes_z5ut

Lactaid all right for my cat?

Like a lot of cats, my kitty is lactose intolerant. It gives her the runs, but she loves milk and tries to drink it any time she can sneak some. Has anyone had experience with Lactaid? I think she might enjoy it, but I'm wondering if there are any problems with it that I'm not aware of.

Comments (15)

• laurief_gw
    9 years ago

As far as I know, Lactaid is fine for cats who are lactose-intolerant. Of course, common sense would dictate that you start her with a small amount and see how her body responds to it.

Laurie

• emma
    9 years ago

Years ago I was told not to give grown cats milk, it causes the runs.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going to give it a try. And I will start off slowly. If it's just the lactose that's a problem, then this might be a nice treat she can have.

• emma
    9 years ago

I drink lactaid because I hoped it would help my indigestion problem. It seem to for awhile, but not now. I still drink it because the expiration date is for a month or more. Saves me trips to the store.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update for anyone else interested: The lactose-free Lactaid milk has been a success. I only give her a little at a time, and she enjoys the treat with no side effects. Purrfect. :)

• socks
    9 years ago

Why do you give her any milk, Lactaid or regular? Kitties don't "need" it.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Because she likes it. It's a treat for her.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Yes, some cats seem to like milk but it's up to us as their caregivers to make wise choices for our pets. Dogs love to eat ice cream too but it's really terrible for them. Don't you think that your cat would love a piece of baked chicken even more than some milk and it would be a much healthier choice. I do not understand where the whole, cats need milk idea ever came from? I guess many years ago, cats would get into the milking buckets on the farm and lap up the cow's milk so people would give milk to the cats because people didn't have commercially available cat food back in the day. They would also throw out uneaten scraps for the cats to eat. Milk from the grocery store NOW is nothing like milk straight out of the cow.

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OP indicates its just a treat - not a staple of the cat's diet. As a treat I would consider it preferable to those awful sugar and preservative-laden Pounce treats.... though yes chicken would be a better choice and MOST cats I would think love it.

Probably depends on what things cat got as a kitten though - my guys (from shelter) not only refuse milk they turn their noses up at meat and chicken. Its really annoying - perfectly good food! At first they didn't recognize anything as food unless it was kibble shaped and crunchy. Now they've expanded their repertoire to include some good quality canned food. My Orange does like to eat fresh mousies (I find the body parts in the basement) so I might be able to persuade him at least to eat more fresh meat.

• emma
    9 years ago

If I had pets I would feed them more people food. Left over cooked meat, cut up and put in the freezer would be a nice addition to a dog or cat's meal.

• Jona Denz-Hamilton
    5 years ago

The oldest living cats on record both lived together. They made it into their mid 30s eating eggs, bacon, and cream with coffee. The best rule of thumb is to watch over your pets well, have them checked by a vet, and share the love! My cats love getting Lactaid milk as a treat. We have a good track record of our cats living into their 20s too.

• bunnigurl
    4 years ago

It's not just some cats that are lactose intolerant ALL cats are lactose intolerant.

• Momothegardenhoe zone 5, Central NY
    3 years ago

They may be lactose intolerant, but that doesn't stop them from drinking it daily at our local dairy farm...their barn cats regularly drink milk and love it....and cats have been drinking milk for generations....if it causes a problem for YOUR cat, don't give it to him/her, or switch to Lactaid.

• Nataly Smith
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have heard that it's not good for cat's health. But unluckily, my lovely kitty ate some mustard and effects were so unpleasant like indigestion. Hopefully, my friend recommended mу web-site. So this site helped me so mush to predict this situation. Also, there I founded why mustard is bed for cats. I hope this information will be useful for you or another readers. I think you can find information about lactose too.