Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunflower seeds

Posted by sandienc (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 18:49

I buy 50# bags of sunflower seeds to feed all the wild birds. Does anyone know if they would be safe for my pet african grey parrot? Or should I buy seeds that say they are for pet birds?
Thanks Sandie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunflower seeds

I don't know but at the bird store I go to the wild bird seed and the pet birds eg parrots are in different parts of the store. Did not see any suneflower seeds there.

o

Just got back from the pet store. The only sunflower seeds they have are in the wild bird section. And the combination seeds in the pet bird secion with sunflowers are mostly just filler seed that my greys just throw on the floor. What a waste of money. I usually sweep them up and put them outside for the wild birds. The same thing happened with the wild bird mix I used to buy. So many filler seeds like milo that the birds here won't touch. So I now go to the feed store and buy a 50# bag of millet and a 50# bag of black oil sunflower seeds for them. I tryed looking at the seeds in the markets and they are all salted and most are roasted also.
Thanks beegood

o

I wouldn't try it. You can't feed tropical birds bread but you can wild birds. There is a difference in their digestive system I guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here