SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma1420_gw

Are pet adoption policies too strict?

emma1420
17 years ago

I never thought they were. I have two dogs, one is from a shelter and the other is from a breed rescue I work with. They both well cared for and my oldest is now 13 and going strong.

So I've been thinking recently that I'd really like to adopt a puppy. I was thinking of a puppy between 4-6 months old, as I work all day and I only come home at lunch. Both of my dogs I adopted as adult dogs, and while they are terrific, I would love to be able to raise a dog from puppyhood at least once.

So I contacted a local shelter, and discovered that because I'm not home all day, that I'm not eligible to adopt under a year old. I was a little surprised. They were more than happy to have me adopt an older dog from them, but as I wasn't interested in adopting an older dog, that rescue was out for me.

While I understand shelters and rescues wanting to make sure that the dogs and cats in their shelters go to responsible pet owners, I also wonder if perhaps they've gotten a little too strict? It seems as if everything is black and white. You either fit into their idea of the perfect pet owner, or you don't.

After being involved in rescue (the organization I'm involved with (which only places adult dogs) has some general policies, but we evaluate the suitability of the potential pet owner based on our interaction with them, rather than a preconceived notion of certain rules), I was surprised to learn how strict many shelters are.

So I wonder if some of these strict policies are too strict? Do they end up encouraging people to go to breeders, because adopting from a shelter or rescue is so strict?

Comments (44)

Sponsored