Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me understand this

Posted by fancifowl (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 22, 06 at 20:21

There are thousands of dogs and cats in the United States without homes, waiting for adoption and put to death because no one wants them. Large sums of money is spent for all of this. Now, 3oo more are brought in from of all places, Lebanon!! and they are lining up to adopt them???What a knee jerk, feel good crock is that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me understand this

I didn't hear about that, but can't say I'm surprised. Did you know Ingrid Newkirk (founder of PETA)adopted her dog from over seas somewhere? Apparently she couldn't find one here worth saving.

o

I didn't hear about that either, but I did a search and turned up this article. Scroll down to "flies in the ointment".

Here is a link that might be useful: Imported pets

o

I am somewhat familiar with NAIA which is the website you posted. I agree with them on many topics, However they support commercial breeders which is why I will not support them at all. I think the artical "flies in the ointment" may be a bit exaggerated concerning the extent of foreign dogs being brought to this country. At least I hope so. Yikes!

o

Their whole country has one humane society....and the only shelter was heavily damaged. They needed help.

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary has organized this. Quite frankly, something like this wakes people up to the thought of adoption.

It will be on the nightly news this evening.

I received this e-mail from them this morning:

"We just had a call from NBC TV saying theyre going to air their story on Nightly News this evening about the dogs and cats who came to Best Friends from the Middle East war.

I know we told you they told us before that it would be airing "tonight", but they seem pretty certain this time! Still, dont hold your breath, but we thought youd probably want to check it out .

They also mentioned that the video will be on their website this evening after 10 p.m. EST. at

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/ "

I have seen the previews and think it must be airing tonight.

o

I know alot of guys (soldiers & media) who brought their adopted "dogs" back from active duty.

I personally feel for the pets that are left behind to fend for themselves in war torn areas.

o

I think I feel for the kids more than the animals.
I was going to bring back a monkey I caught in VietNam but it was cost prohibitive. we did take a young dog, named him "Shortround" an artillery term) as an additional mascot but he was KIA during TET. We all kinda felt bad but it was very difficult keeping him out of trouble; the monkey was not as difficult.
It seems like a gross misuse of resources to import animals when so many facilities are in need. As far as press for the cause of homing our domestic critters, I dont give that notion much credence.

o

Fancifowl - Best Friends used donations to help retrieve the animals in Lebanon. There is one animal shelter and over 6000 shelters for people. Read their website and watch the video, it's very touching.

o

Why does it matter where the animal is from? so if it is from lebanon,does that mean it is inferior to our American animals? a animal in need is a animal in need as far as I am concerned, doesn't matter where it is from. Angelina Jolie and othe American actresses are adopting out of country, hmm, guess they shouldn't do that either.

o

Maybe you dont totally comprehend what you read?? Matbe you only see what you want to see?? In MY 1st post, I mentioned that there were many animals HERE IN THIS COUNTRY which need placement, so WHY IMPORT MORE from anyplace; lebanon, Turkey, Canada, ?? Applies to all animals, human and lower orders in my view

o

I can't help you, I don't understand it either.....

o

It's a difficult subject for anyone that loves animals. Of course all dogs are deserving and I'm happy people are lining up to adopt. However, the money spent bringing them here could have gone a lot farther taking care of our own. That's why I think things would be much better if we all donate our time and money to local shelters and rescues and also adopt locally.
I also have a feeling the ones lining up to adopt the ones from lebanon are looking for attention for themselves.

o

Watch the video, read the stories, then judge.

TDWW

o

It all depends on how you define your space. If I saw myself first as a Michiganian, I would have raised he!! when rescue hounds from a breeder in Arkansas were brought here to be adopted. Or when hundreds of Katrina pets were brought here for adoption.

If I see myself primarily as a citizen of the US, I would take in the dogs from down south and raise a cry against the dogs from Lebanon.

If I see myself as a citizen of the world, then pets from everywhere are fine.

Yes, we do spend or "waste" resources transporting orphaned pets from one place to another. It is done because there is a cachet to having a pet rescued from a famous tragedy. The rescue organizations understand this weakness of human nature and play on it to get more pets adopted. Is this wrong?

o

you know when I posted, it was a knee"jerk" reaction, sorry for that. when I think about it, the money thing IS irritating, because you are right many more here could be saved with that money, I don't know the statistics or anything but I would imagine at least 3 here to 1 over there. or more depending on what the government is REALLY doing with the money, hey! I know, if a person wanted one of those pets they should spend their money going over to get one. I don't watch the news so I had not even heard about this issue, next time I promise to keep my fingers zipped unless I know what I am talking about *sigh* guess I won't be posting much as I usually don't know too much, lol.

o

micke says..... I promise to keep my fingers zipped unless I know what I am talking about *sigh* guess I won't be posting much as I usually don't know too much, lol................................................................... ..................................................LOL I hope you don't mean that. If we all made that promise and stuck to it, there would be nothing to read here. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

o

no just poking fun at myself. Figure I better do it before someone else does:)

o

We had katrina dogs here in Canada up for adoption. I was puzzled by that, since we already have many dogs needing homes. Dogs are dogs, and borders shouldn't matter, but the cost to bring these dogs bothered me. I feel for the dogs overseas but would rather see the $ spent differently.

o

Katrina dogs brought heartworms to Oregon, big article in newspaper about it.

Wonder what dogs from Lebanon might have?

o

I wasn't real pleased with the rescue dogs from Katrina being spread around the country. Many of them were heartworm positive, because of the conditions they were in before they were rescued... when every day plenty of healthy dogs are killed at the local shelter.

I have mixed feelings, I am glad that people are motivated to adopt the animals. I just wish people understood that there doesn't need to be a disaster or a war for them to step up to adopt. There are plenty of healthy loving dogs ready to be adopted in their own home town.

It does seem illogical to bring some sick diseased dogs in to spread heartworm around. But logic and love are far apart.

o

I'm with you joepyweed. Kinda on the fence about the whole thing. I do hope the people stepping up do adopt are serious about giving a forever home and not just doing it as a status symbol of some kind. "my dog is a Katrina survivor" or "my dog was rescued from the horrors of Lebanon." I also wonder about things like that when an abused or abandoned animal is spotlighted in the news and everyone wants to adopt it. On the other hand maybe it's a good thing and the people that aren't chosen will still decide to adopt another one.

o

The people I know that took Katrina dogs only sheltered them until their owners were situated in suitable living arrangements that could accommodate a dog.

I never heard a word about the heartworm positive thing. Also, it seems that you are upset by the heartworm positive, is it contagious to other pets? I never had a dog with it, so I really don't know much about how it works.

Also, I agree that there is probably a "status" thing attached to those who adopted the Katrina dogs. I disagree tho, as to those who just "hosted" the dogs while the owners got their lives together.

o

I never heard a word about the heartworm positive thing. Also, it seems that you are upset by the heartworm positive, is it contagious to other pets? I never had a dog with it, so I really don't know much about how it works...................................................................... ...............................................The mosquito picks up the larva from infected dogs and then can infect another dog when it bites it. Not a problem if the dog is on heartworm preventative.

o

Why do people adopt dogs and cats who have massive behavioral problems or physical problems while there are healthy dogs and cats dying in shelters? Why do people adopt pets when they have no intention or idea one in how to take care of that pet? The old story of the people who get a dog and then leave it outside where it is ignored and neglected or worse.

I guess people are stupid.

o

Concerning Oregon or any other state/region with a low incidence of heartworm disease and bringing in HW+ dogs to the area. If a region or state does not have a heartworm problem to begin with, I dont believe the introduction of HW+ Katrina dogs to the mix will have an impact on the state/region with regards to the spread of heartworms. The life cycle of the disease is critically temperature dependent requiring critical, extended temperatures, humidity, etc to allow for maturating of the larvae within a mosquito and it requires a complex ecology to spread into an area where the temps arent right. Not to say there couldnt some incidences where a HW+ Katrina dog placed in Oregon or any other low incident state didnt infect a mosquito which then enjoyed the crucial temps and time to incubate the larvae and then bit and infected a neighboring dog, but realistically, the environment for many portions of the US will not continue the lifecycle of the disease and wont support a breeding ground for heartworm even with the introduction of infected dogs. We are talking steady 24 hr temps of 64 F for one month or steady 24 hr temps of 80 F for 10-14days (slim chance of that in Oregon and many other states) before the mosquito can develop the larvae to an infective stage. Besides, a large majority of the rescuers of the HW+ Katrina dogs were treating the disease prior to adopting out. At the very least, testing was done to determine HW status and adopters would then treat the dogs at their own vets thereby eliminating the host source.

Some have said it is illogical to bring in HW+ dogs. To me it is illogical that 60% of the Katrina dogs were HW+ when it is a disease that can be controlled with monthly preventatives.

For those of you that werent pleased with the dogs being dispersed though out the states for adoption, what would have been an alternative?

I dont believe for one second that those adopting Katrina animals did it for status. People stepped up to help desperate, suffering animals. In the case of Katrina, it was all over the media -they saw animals up on roofs, they saw animals attempting to find the miniscule piece of dry land to save themselves, they saw starving animal scavenging for food, they saw animals fighting for their lives, they saw scared and suffering creatures unable to help themselves, they saw people having to leave loved animals, they saw relief efforts turn the animals away. It was about compassion, pure and simple.

o

I think given the OP's views on the Middle East he is afraid those dogs are carrying a bomb that is going to show up in his diningroom. He is somewhat overwrought about anyone from that part of the world. Apparently it extends to dogs as well. LOL
Oh, and if you are curious as to how we are aware of this go to the HOT TOPICS Forum.

o

hm, you have little grasp on OPs views of the ME.
But, if you had read OPs post, and interpretted it as meant, you might understand that he thought it a waste of funds to save imported mongrels when there are thousands, nay, millions right here in this country that need some care and attention.

I understand your knee jerk reactions and need to stir up something where it doesnt exist, you are oviously a trite individual, be my guest!

so, wheres your proof they arent terrorist dogs with implanted remotely activated incendiary devices. Please post a link stated these dogs are in fact bomb free.

o

hamptonmeadow - please post a link. I don't see a hot topic forum. And are you freaking kidding me? How did it become about terrorist dogs? I am missing something I think.

fancifowl writes:

so, wheres your proof they arent terrorist dogs with implanted remotely activated incendiary devices. Please post a link stated these dogs are in fact bomb free.
Proving Bomb free dogs? Are you serious? What did this have to do with your original post? I think that statement above sounds very paranoid - exactly the way GWB wants it to be.

o

I think Hot Topics is on the main list of forums; I dont know how I ended up there?? If you dont have thick skin, dont go!

o

Labmomma, you definitely have to check out the hot topics board to understand the dynamics of the FF/HM interchange. FF and hamptonmeadow are engaging in a hot topic board mating ritual.

Here is a link that might be useful: hot topics

o

HM?? Hot Mama???

o

How mature? How moronic? Hardly mentionable? Dont get the need for HM to incorrectly extrapolate or correlate a difference of opinions on the highly political HT board to a very logical, legit, non-political and timely question about the rescue of animals from overseas on the pet debate forum. HM seems to be dragging some baggage around concerning FF. Jeeze FF, just what did you say on the HT board?

Big time thick skin for the hot topics board. That board will have you curled up and drooling in the fetal position, protecting your vital organs and crying for your Momma in no time. I love that board

o

Nah. I see enough fighting and name-calling in the real world as it is. I don't need to seek it out in cyberspace.

o

FF..Geeze why is everyone picking on poor you?

o

hamptonmeadow - please post a link. I don't see a hot topic forum. And are you freaking kidding me? How did it become about terrorist dogs? I am missing something I think.

fancifowl writes:

Proving Bomb free dogs? Are you serious? What did this have to do with your original post? I think that statement above sounds very paranoid - exactly the way GWB wants it to be.

o

labmom, nah, just noise. I dont feel picked on, its the "sprit" of the forum is all. Some folks are just immature I reckon so they like to strike out in other venues to gain some sort of self importance?? My wife is the phsychologist, not me! Its a place to carry on and debate or argue but most there do interact on more decent terms also. Most try to not become personal.
I dont know how to post a link, just go to the main listing of forums and llok for 'Hot Topics".

Jihadist Dogs, looking to go to doggie heaven to 7 virgin beeches!!!

o

...7 virgin beeches....

Are those un-pee'd on trees?

o

Could be! I got no jihadist dogs, my dogs are all umerikun houn dogs and so there must not be no virgin beeches in my forest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here