Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
The Holidays

Posted by the_adams (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 24, 06 at 15:32

The holidays are officially in full swing. As you are doing your Christmas Decorating please make sure when hanging your Mistletoe to make sure it is secure and out of reach of your pets.

The ASPCA says "Depending on the amount consumed, the plant can potentially produce gastrointestinal irritation, excessive thirst and urination, seizures, coma and even death in pets."

Happy Holidays!

Here is a link that might be useful: NO CATS & DOGS UNDER THE MISTLETOE, PLEASE!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: The Holidays

Thanks the adams. Pointsettia plants are dangerous too. Keep them out of reach of pets and children.
I'm sure we need no reminder that poultry bones are a big no-no for pets. Happy Holidays.


 o
RE: The Holidays

almost ALL houseplants are dangerous. and as I have close to 60, let me tell ya I have been really having difficulties! Deffinbachia and Philodenderon are another two that are really bad (okay I cannot spell poison with a ess for the life of me) for your pets. all you with birds out of cages really need to watch that, also as a side note, cigarette smoke and the smoke from snuffing out a candle will kill birds as well. I have never hung mistletoe, but did not know it was dangerous, good to know. at least that is not a plant I have to look up!!


 o
RE: The Holidays

Among other dangerous holiday items: stringy tinsel strands, ornament hooks, (also bad for tots!) and chocolate.
And I once had a dopey cat that actually ate cactus... repeatedly. That's nuts. No plant is safe from cats.


 o
RE: The Holidays

micke - I hear your pain, lol! Incase you didn't know: The website I linked to in my OP is to the Animal Poison Control Center. On their website you will find 2 lists; one for toxic & the other for non toxic plants. And supposedly if you have a question on a plant that isn't listed you can e-mail/call and they will help you out.

Also, if you become a free member they will send you a magnet which is great to have on the fridge as they are avaliable with vets 24 hours. In a poisoning situation sometimes there is things that you can and should do before rushing off to the vet. For example, where I live we have Colorado River Toads. Extremly poisonous, if your pet comes in contact with one it is best to take a hose and flush their mouth out for a good while. If you were to just rush to the vet your animal is becoming more and more infected every minute.

Take Care All!


 o
RE: The Holidays

Poinsettias are not poisonous, that is an urban legend that won't die.

Here is a link that might be useful: poinsettia myth


 o
poinsettias

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/p/poinsettias.htm

The American Veterinary Medicine Association of America (AVMA), doesn't include poinsettias on its list of plants that are a threat to animals.

* Research conducted at The Ohio State University conclusively proved that all parts of the poinsettia are non-toxic to both humans and pets.
* According to POISINDEX, the information resource used by the majority of poison control centers around the country, a 50-pound child would have to eat 500-600 poinsettia leaves to surpass the experimental doses that showed no toxicity.

* In addition, a study released last year by Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University found that out of that out of nearly 23,000 poinsettia exposures reported to poison control centers nationwide, there was essentially no toxicity of significance of any kind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snopes poinsettia page


 o
RE: The Holidays

I also checked the ASPCA for poinsettias, they weren't on either of their lists. (Toxic or non toxic)

I wonder if perhaps they are an irritant? Plants can be an irritant without being listed as poisonous.


 o
RE: The Holidays

They taste beyond terrible. Yes, I've eaten them. Several times.

Nothing is going to eat enough to cause irritation unless they are starving. Even then, they are so bitter and sour. I'm sure they would cause irritation. Almost anything can cause irritation/gastric distress if you eat enough though....

Cats and dogs eat grass when they feel gastic distress to help them throw up or eliminate

Horses can die from too much grain/apples or other rich foods.


 o
RE: The Holidays

buyorsell888, My curiosity has got the best of me LOL : )
Why did you try tasting poinsettias? I thought i was the only one going around trying plants i know are'nt poison.

With some puppies that like to chew on everything you've got to watch out for electrical
cords.
oakleif


 o
RE: The Holidays

I have a friend who lines up scores of poinsettias each year around her christmas tree in her living room...and each year, I have chastised her for doing so. She always says, "Dillinger (cat) chews on these plants all season and she's not dead yet!" I always thought she was being irresponsible, now I know she was right!


 o
RE: The Holidays

Thank you so much for pointing that out to me, no I didn't know that was a link leading to toxic and non toxic plants, you just helped me out tremendously! much appreciated, I had also heard the pothos were NOT toxic and this list states it is, I have 6 of them, one draped all around a flower cart on the floor, gotta move it, my Shih Tzu never bothers any of my stuff never has, but my sons tiny Chihuahua sometimes gets some spit and vinegar going, would hate for her to run by and rip some of it off when she is playing.
thanks again!


 o
RE: The Holidays

I tasted them because I was a florist for over twenty years and every year someone would chastize me for having them on display where somone's child could eat them and die....

Pothos, Epipremnum aureum, really isn't toxic. Philodendrons ARE and many lists/people don't realize that Pothos is NOT a Philodendron. Would not hurt to move it, Chihuahuas are so small, I'm sure it would cause irritation if eaten, It is an Ariod and they can in general, cause irritation.

Dieffenbachias are too. Their common name is Dumb Cane, my friend thought it would be cool to not be able to talk so he chewed part of a Dieffenbachia leaf. NOT a good idea. His throat swelled and he bawled like a baby from the pain. No lasting effects though, this was 1980 and I talked to him the other day. It sure was stupid.

So many lists don't use Latin names or don't accurately identify plants.


 o
Another Holiday Plant

A really big issue as far as holiday plants goes besides Mistletoe which certainly is toxic are Easter Lilies and cats.

Cats think they are grass and they can kill a cat. It doesn't seem to be a problem in the garden as far as outdoor cats but cats who are indoor only and who feel like they need grass will chew on Easter Lily leaves. Better to not have them if you have indoor only cats.


 o
RE: The Holidays

when I first started looking up my plants, I too thought my pothos were philodenderons, that is what everyone around me called them including my grandma who was a avid gardener, wonder how that got started?


 o
RE: The Holidays

dumb cane....is that mother's-in-law tongue?? I know if you eat that your throat and tongue can swell up.


 o
RE: The Holidays

mother-in-law's tongue is Sansevaria trifasciata and yes, it is toxic. It is also known as snake plant.

Not the same as dumb cane (Dieffenbachia) but has similar symptoms after ingestion.

Pothos and the heart leafed Philo do look similar and have simlar care requirements. Mostly, the correct botanical latin just isn't used, even by growers. You can still find pothos tagged Scindapsis and that name is decades old.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here