Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cats and dogs, different rules?

Posted by good36 (good36@chartermi.net) on
Wed, Nov 11, 09 at 14:34

We have always owned dogs. Never had a cat. Lots of our Neighbors do have cats which they let outside to wonder around. Why do I have to fence in my dog and cat owners can let theirs run free? Our dog goes nuts when she she's a cat in our yard. Birds fly away from the feeders. We had 2 neighbors just "sick" because their cats did not come home for days..... Well why not tie them up outside or keep them in the house. Honestly I do not feel sorry about it one bit, use your head!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cats and dogs, different rules?

I have always owned cats,but I have NEVER let mine outside,so I agree with you.My neighbor lets all 3 of hers out and we live on a busy road,so it's just a matter of time before hers get hit and I won't feel sorry for her either.

My guess is that some people really don't care about their cats,or else they wouldn't let them out.

o

I have indoor cats. I don't let them out for a number of reasons. My sister lets hers out but they don't live on a busy street, it's kind of wooded. She mostly stays in fenced in backyard, kind of of wooded area. She is declawed in front, it kind of bothers me. She feels the cat would have less of a life if only kept indoors. If I could afford I would like to have a cat enclsure outside

o

Ok, I will try and post a calm reply and not the knee jerk reaction I really want too. You can not "tie up" a cat, it would hang or strangle itself in seconds. I have had both dogs and cats my whole (extensive) life. I have tried various methods of restraint for both species. Cats are not dogs and dogs are not cats. What dogs will barely tolerate (chains, ropes, etc) cats will kill and or maim themselves to get out of.

Some cats do quite well, actually prefer, living indoors exclusively. While others lay in wait around the corner of the door or furniture for that split second when the door opens and they zoom outside as you try frantically to do a quick step to stop them. I've had both kinds. Although I do prefer indoor so I know they are safe. Yes I've had cats killed by cars, coyotes, it is an unfortunate fact of life. I don't mean to sound cavalier about their deaths, it has broken my heart a couple of times. But what do you do when they are unstoppable. Oh, you can usually manage to keep them in for a month or two, but don't for a second open that door a little wider than normal because you are bringing in groceries, or a grandchild.

I have two cats; one is indoor only and prefers it, the other is indoor/outdoor. I tried making him indoor only, he wouldn't have any part of it. But he does have his claws for self defense, he wears a collar with a bell on it so the birds can hear him coming, he's fixed so no babies, he knows his name so when I stand on my front porch and call he comes running. I live in a tract home area so lots of neighbors. Unfortunately, I'm sure he has probably upset someones dog along the way, and I am sorry for that. But I also have neighborhood dogs that like to use my front lawn (and it's fenced) for their bathroom facilities. I've even had neighbors let their dogs (while on leash) poop in that small green space between the fence and sidewalk, and never clean it up. I've heard neighborhood dogs bark all evening long. It's just part of life.

I realize that my boy runs a chance of one day not returning and he has scared the he** out of me a couple of times. I feel that some cats just cannot be trained to stay indoors and like it. The first time he got out I was four hours late to work because I just "had" to find him. Recently he required surgery (not relatecd to being indoor/outdoor) that cost me $2,000.00 that I could ill afford. So don't presume to make me feel like I'm less than a loving and caring pet owner

To those who "won't feel sorry for her" if her cat gets hit, how very kind of you. To those of you who's dogs are bothered by neighborhood cats; well I can't speak for everyone, but I am sorry.

Alexis

o

"he wears a collar with a bell on it so the birds can hear him coming"

Just what I was talking about! Why does your cat have to scare the birds I love to watch?

Dogs and Cats were not always domestic. We made them that way. That was then and this is now. I control my dog.... you can control your cats as well.

Our thoughtful neighbor does tie them up and they do very well. I have seen them on their chain. They do watch them so they don't as you put it "it would hang or strangle itself in seconds" This is common sense to me.

Sorry Alexis, I don't agree with your opinion and that's ok. Just don't want your cat in my yard.

o

I would say you neighbors' cats are unique. Not all cats would take well to being tied up. My indoor cat would actually handle it very well. She is an extremely passive kitty. My indoor/outdoor boy would definitely hurt himself in an effort to escape.

He was born feral, 3+ years ago, behind my house, before I moved back to the city. His mother was not my cat, had never seen her before. She had a litter of 5. Over the following couple of months I noticed fewer and fewer kittens, and then one day mom was gone. I suspect coyotes. One kitten was left, my best guess 3 months old. How he survived I'll never know. When he was about 6 months old I found him in my barn, cornered him and caught him. First he bit through my leather gloves than in about 30 seconds I had him purring. While he is quite domestic now and loves and trusts me he will not let any other human near him. He has been known to hide behind the washer an entire day if I have company over. The sight of the mailman has almost sent him through the screen of the front screen door trying to get back in the house and away from the human.

I wish I could keep him in, but that is not possible. He was born feral and he will almost certainly retain the fight or flight instincts he was born with.

Why does my cat have to scare "your" birds with his bell.. well I guess I could let him kill them instead. However, my first concern was for the birds sake and no one else.

You are right... it's ok that our opinions are different. I do understand your frustration, really I do. If I could keep him in the house I would, if I could keep the neighbor dogs from barking all day and night I would, if I could have a perfect world I would.

Alexis

o

The reason why your dog cannot run loose and neighbors cats can is because your dog could injure someone, cause damage to someones property. Cats generally cannot. Its not about whether they might get hit by a car, Its about the liability you would have if you dog did something to someone or something. Cats mind their own business. They dont attack people or chew up peoples stuff. Nothing against dogs, but they naturally do that, if you want your dog to be able to run free then buy a home out on some land somewhere.

o

As someone who was attacked by a loose cat, and had a loose cat damage my property, I beg to disagree.

Cats should be contained just as dogs are, period.

o

Certainly a lot of intolerance on this point. Dogs are willing to be contained. Cats are not. I have a dog, an indoor cat and an outdoor cat. Given my preference, the outdoor cat would be an indoor cat, but she won't allow it. I am the third neighbor to keep this kitty. She is a sweet, wonderful, dog loving cat. I'm sure she is messing in some neighbors yards, as well as my own. They do not complain, just like I don't complain when their children play in my yard. Also, I have hawks that send the birds flying from my feeders. Who is responsible for that? Get a grip, people. If you can't tolerate these things, move to the country. Oh yeah, I forgot. In the country you have coyotes, hawks, dogs running free. Just chill out!!!!!

o

I'm sorry,but if you raise a cat to be indoor since birth,it will not try to dart outside.That is a lame excuse for someone who lets their cat out.Getting them spayed/neutered also works wonders.

o

Just passing by and can't believe there is still life in this thread.

forwhenitrains, If you are referring to my posts when you say "lame excuse" I suggest you go back and read them again a bit more carefully before making such a "lame" reponse. 1) He was feral and starving when I caught him in my barn at about 6 months of age, and he was fixed shortly after that.

o
RE: Cats and dogs, different rules?.

Me too. My outdoor cat has been outdoors all her life. I didn't start it. She was probably 8 or 9 years old when she picked me to live with. She has a great setup that keeps her warm in winter and she's fed and watered everyday. When she passes, I will not have an outdoor cat again. It's not my choice, it's hers. Life is not black and white.

o
RE: cats

Me too. My outdoor cat has been outdoors all her life. I didn't start it. She was probably 8 or 9 years old when she picked me to live with. She has a great setup that keeps her warm in winter and she's fed and watered everyday. When she passes, I will not have an outdoor cat again. It's not my choice, it's hers. Life is not black and white.

o

I'm sure there are exceptions,but everyone seems to think they are it.Where I live is it ILLEGAL for cats to roam outside.The county will pick them up.So it is in neighbors own best interests to keep them indoors if they care about them.
My thread wasn't directed at you,but I don't need your remarks either about me not having sympathy for my neighbor if her cat gets killed either! We live right beside a street where cars FLY at 70 miles an hour.No self respecting cat owner would let their cat out in that!

o

Posted by forwhenitrains (My Page) on Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 13:41

"I have always owned cats,but I have NEVER let mine outside,so I agree with you.My neighbor lets all 3 of hers out and we live on a busy road,so it's just a matter of time before hers get hit and I won't feel sorry for her either. "

o

Yeah,and? Make your point Alexis! I know what I typed.And I also wrote:

I don't need your remarks either about me not having sympathy for my neighbor.

o
forget it

You are not worth my time,I'm done responding to you.

o

This might not be a welcome post, but you should check your state's laws. In TN it is illegal to let any pet run free --- dog OR cat. There is a state-wide LEASH LAW. No pet is allowed to roam free - dog or cat. I suspect that is the case in many states, but many people ignore it.

It does not matter if the dog or cat "lives out in the country". It's a statewide leash law in TN for domestic pets. I bet its the same for most states but ignored.

o

Reguardless of what your cat does or does not want I believe that it is irresponsible to have your cat become an outdoor cat or "keep" a stray cat. Vaccines can fail and your animal can be exposed to a number of bacteria or infections such as rabies. The comment that cats can't cause damage is false cats are one of the largest carriers of the rabies vaccine and become hosts to nasty viruses that can be fatal to humans. My two little girls, 4 & 5 at the time, each had to undergo the 7 shots rabies vaccine as a result of outdoor cats. That is a horrific experience for anyone to go through especially little kids that don't understand. The exposure happened in our own back yard because a neighbor didn't see a reason to "force" her cats to stay inside. The cats that were exposed died a horrific painful death due to rabies because of the negligence of their owners. Neighbors that are forced to deal with roaming pets of another eventually reach their breaking point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here