Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep rabbits off new sod

Posted by lovemy4goldens (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 12:23

I love in Corona California on 20 aces where there is wildlife. Our problem I just noticed this morning is that there are rabbits coming into our front yard where we just layed sod down and are pulling it up in clumps and peeing on the lawn and leaving their pellets behind. How do I keep this rabbits off my sod??
I would appreciate any advice A.S.A.P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep rabbits off new sod

If you have sod it is likely you have irrigation, this will quickly dilute the small amount of urine they produce, the pellets are organic fertilizer and the nibbling is nothing more than small scale lawn mowing; something I am sure you will engage in.

I personally would feel fortunate that you live in an area with wildlife and focus my attention on issues of real significance. Don't forget, you moved into the rabbits home, not the other way around.

Just my $0.02.

o

Thank you for your reply but I didn't appreciate you thinking that what I posted wasn't important or a concern for me. Maybe you should of just skipped it and went on to issues of real significance. Moving into the rabbits home area is not news to me.
Just my $0.02.

o

This is a *debate* forum. Clearly it is a concern for you, but much like the folks who move in next to a pig farm and then commence to complaining about the smell I feel little concern. I will be kind enough to offer two suggestions: a wire fence or shoot the rabbits and make hasenpfeffer.
Again just my $0.02.

o

Hmmmmmm, hasenpfeffer sounds like a plan but I don't have the recipe. I'm sure you do, so could you share it.

o

There are a lot of rabbit repellents on the market. Things such as Liquid Fence do work, but you have to keep renewing them.
Rabbits don't generally do any harm to turf grass. Flower gardens are where they do their damage. The rabbit pellets are an excellent fertilizer. I wish I had a source of large quantities of it that didn't have timothy hay in it. I don't think that rabbit urine will harm your grass either. I have large areas of blue grass and lots of rabbits. I don't find dead spots in the lawn.

Aside from repellents, I know of no other solution other than fencing them out or shooting them.

o

Maybe this will be of help. I used this company's products with some success to keep rabbits out of the flower beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbit control

o

I live in Reno where Sagebrush is the predominant natural flora. We have a small putting green sized lawn and rabbits are, indeed, a problem. We have cottontails and Jacks but mostly cottontails this year. Everyone in the neighborhood is aware of it. They sit on the lawn, eating the grass, and their urine kills it so they spread into the un-killed grass. This year is particularly bad because the local coyotes have been reduced because of a bounty program. Catlady's post has valuable info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here