SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Mad in New York!

kittens
14 years ago

I live in New York and I'm absolutely outraged to find out how inadequate our animal rights laws are here. I have never honestly been a vocal advocate for animal rights. It was a subject I avoided because I find the abuse and mistreatment of animals extremely disturbing. I just assumed that when a situation arose, you reported it and it was taken care of. That is not the case. Both the state agencies and animal agencies parrot either the restrictions of the laws or under-staffing in their offices for not being able to do their jobs. It's nearly impossible to meet the requirements needed to curtail abuse.

I'm very new to this. Is the reason why our laws are so severely lacking because of the inability to change them? How does the process work?

There is currently an Assembly Bill A07285(b) in motion which isn't 100% supported. It effects Puppy Mills and would limit the number of breeder animals (both cats and dogs) one owns to 50. I do believe that 50 is still excessive but currently they have NO limits so at least it's a small step in the right direction. I was shocked to read pet dealers/breeders in NY can (AND DO) own 1,000 animals or more. What is the probability that these bills even make it to the floor? Is there a way to help get it there?

The Assembly Summary:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07285

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County