Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meat/milk from cloned animals

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 6:54

It seems meat and milk products from cloned animals may be on our supermarket shelves before we know it.

How do you feel about consuming products from cloned animals? Would you avoid these products? Not care?

I am still struggling with the issue. I would not care where the product came from if I was the one eating it, but I'm not sure I am comfortable feeding these products to my kids.

What do you think?

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: article on cloned meat/milk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meat/milk from cloned animals

What's the worse of two evils?
Eating cloned beef V's eating the non-cloned beef? Both will have the same ingredients if bought from freezer section at local store. Same with the cloned milk production. Other than the writing on the product telling you, nobody would know the difference. I don't consider any of it exactly "good for you".
We are "really" just begining to find out how, what we have spent years eating from the super market is really affecting us all, and it's not painting a very pretty picture.
Don't we all just love being guinea pig's??

o

Cloning is just reproducing the same superior genetics package. There are other things to be concerned about, like hormones to increase milk production, trans fats, corn sugar, sodium. Cloning is going to become more necessary if we intend to feed the ever growing(more and larger individuals) population of the world.

o

Although I am disgusted by much of the *processing* conducted on our food and am extremely careful of what I eat, the notion of cloning is much less concerning to me than bioengineering, hormones, antibiotics and other issues with direct health implications.

o

Ditto this for me. I only consume hormone free, organic dairy. I don't think it is possible to create an organic clone.

o

cloning is much less concerning to me than bioengineering, hormones, antibiotics and other issues with direct health implications.

ditto for me too

o

I wouldn't have an issue with cloning, but I would with genetically engineered animals at this point in time. Genetic engineering increases the HYPOTHETICAL risk of allergic reactions.

I have issues with the use of antibiotics and hormones, too--not enough to give up meat altogether, but to continue to consume very little of it.

o

One of the (many) reasons I'm a vegetarian is that there's just too much processing going into meat nowadays. Cloning it just sounds like one more reason to avoid it...

o

I don't see a huge difference in using the sperm from one bull to artificially inseminate hundreds or more cows than just cloning. Yes, there will be less genetic variation within the species, but so what? It's not like they aren't already completely managed so as to avoid random breedings. One bull produces hundreds of offspring, so the genetic variation within a breed of cattle isn't great to begin with.

"The group points in particular to a 2004 New England Journal of Medicine report, which stated that "given the available evidence, it may be exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to generate healthy cloned animals."

The concern is not about human consumption of cloned meat. The concern is for the health of the animal. Unhealthy animals are already prohibited from entering the human food chain, and that would not change just because the animal is cloned. It is extremely unprofitable for a producer to try to manage unhealthy animals. They do not produce as much milk, if they get sick and require antibiotics they can't sell the milk or slaughter the animal for meat until a prescribed drug withdrawal time. Unhealthy animals also have a lower feed conversion ratio, which means it costs more to maintain a sick animal than a healthy one. So until and unless cloning actually produces healthy dairy or beef cattle, there is no need to worry.

And even then, will someone please tell me exactly what is the perceived danger from eating meat or milk derived from cloned cattle? Meat is meat and milk is milk. It's all cow, just how they got here is a little different. Maybe the cloned animals will be superior and not require growth hormones and such.

o

There are options to "Over manipulated " foods, buy local. Thats a big deal here in Pa. where the stae promotes programs to buy locally produced foods. My meat is processed, it goes to the butcher, gets killed, cut and wrapped and frozen.
We actually encourage customers to come and see how their food is produced on the farm,so do many others. You can work to encourage "buy local' campaigns in your arrea; contact your state dept. of ag., try a local farmers market. Its a growing thing.

o

Don't think there is enough research done on cloneing,or using antibiotics and harmones for any decision to be made yet. Whats been done on antibiotics does not look good. We get half a beef that was homegrown.
oakleif

o

cloning isn't really cost effective right now. It is more of a novelty and to say "ya I did it".
Speaking of genetically engineered food, most produce you buy now is. The big fat tomotoes that are low acid are genetically engineered to be that way. They also seemed to make them taste like nothing. I really don't worry about eating them. I usually buy and grow other things though, because they taste better.
Anyone ever see the purple and orange cauliflower? They just started selling that where I live. I have never tried it but it sure looks pretty! the orange cauliflower has beta caratine in it. I am not sure what the purple has in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here