SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dustien_gw

Is it harmful for a big dog to be crated 9 hrs on a hard surface?

dustien
11 years ago

I understand that my kids have to work, and they do love their dog, and although I'm not crazy about dogs having to be crated for that long, I do understand the need for it when both work outside the home. I do, however, absolutely hate the fact that they crate him in a bare floor crate for 9 to 10 hrs. They say it's because he's torn up all the blankets they've tried to give him and they've been told that it's better to use nothing in that case. I researched it on the net and found a couple places that offer bedding/padding that is tough and will probably stand up quite well to their dog, but they are expensive.

These guys are making very good money and can easily afford one, but they insist they will be letting him out of the crate as soon as he stops chewing (he's been crated for nearly 2 yrs...since 9 weeks old) and don't want to spend the money. They also think I should mind my own business. I, on the other hand, feel guilty about not speaking on behalf of the dog much sooner.

Problem is, I care about this dog, and it hurts me to see my own family treating him so. 9 hours sleeping on a hard surface day in and day out has got to hurt! My bones just ache thinking about it.

What do you think?? Should I just butt out and mind my own business or should I continue to push for the bed, and if so, any suggestions on how to convince them? I'd buy the bed myself but I think my son in law will refuse to use it simply out of stubbornness because it came from me. Besides, they make a lot more money then my husband and I do and I feel we shouldn't have to buy the bed.

Thanks for any feedback...

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor