Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dirt Happy Please post more

Posted by beeanne (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 23:35

Dirthappy please post more about your experiences of having a puppy mill dog who doesn't know the feeling of grass etc. Even if it stops only one person from buying a puppy from a pet store, it will be worth it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dirt Happy Please post more

He didn't come from a pet shop. He came from a breeder in PA who sold him to a kennel owner in my area. They now breed puppies there and have the mixed breeds. maltapoos, labradoodles, that type of thing. Anyway, we bought Cody when he was six months old. He has papers stating he's a maltese and even stating his parentage. However, at 6 months he weighed 10 lbs already. He doesn't have the smooth silky coat. It's somewhat coarse and very fluffy. I fell in love with him anyway and knew he needed us. (we found out later he was days from being euthanized for being too old). I could tell he spent most of his life inside a cage and maybe exercised on the floor of the kennel only, I saw no fenced in area. He acted so funny when I first put him in the grass. Like it was a strange feeling on his paws. He had no clue how give or take affection. He still after 3.5 yrs will cower a bit if a hand is raised too quickly to pet his head. I don't even want to give my ideas on that. He didn't have any major health issues just an ear infection that reoccured every few months. To this day, he does not like kids, strangers touching him. I haven't been able to help him with this yet. But we take him everywhere we can to get him around other people.
As for his weight, I really did mean he's 15lbs. The vet says he's very healthy and thinks he's an Italian Maltese. Never heard of it myself.
Although we saved him from almost sure death, I don't think I would ever go this route to buy a dog again. I was lucky that he adjusted as well as he has. He's very devoted to my husband and me. he's quick to learn and just a loving spoiled pooch.
Oh, I almost forgot. We brought him home Nov. 7, he spent almost a week in a crate when we'd go out and at night. On Nov. 17 he was sleeping with us. Around 2 in the morning he woke me, I thought he had to go out. He didn't. I felt a little strange but I thought it was because he had just woke. I went back to bed and a little while later he woke me again. I got up again but this time my left foot felt like it was asleep. I got a glass of water and my left hand wouldn't hold the glass. I realized I was having a stroke. Cody must have sensed it and made me get up. The stroke was mild and I had a full recovery. Thanks to my puppy mill puppy. The papers I have for him are for registration with American Canine Association. Ever hear of it?
Thanks for your time.

Robin

o

Robin... WOW! How lucky you are to have Cody in your life. I've heard of dogs sensing an oncoming diabetic attack and stuff like that but.. WOW again! Does it give you some measure of security? I think its something like 30 percent of dogs with diabetic owners can either smell or sense a change in their people.

Poor Cody sounds like he had a rough start in life, but he's as lucky to have you as you are to have him.

On the other side of never stepping on grass before.... I've known many of pups that were born outside and freaked at all the noise and action when taken into a new home indoors. Vacuum cleaners.. of course. But simple things like flushing toilets, a dropped object, central air units coming on.... it's just sad. I'm sure the majority of them settle in, but I would always want a pup that was born inside in a family atmosphere.

o

Cody barks at the vac. I put him on a chair or whatever before I turn it on. He jumps down and chases it. He's adjusted very well to inside stuff and now he's my flower sniffer. He makes his rounds to the flower beds sniffing every flower. Although he had a rough start, he's a very pampered pooch now. He even goes on the bass boat with us. Has his own life jacket.

o

The papers I have for him are for registration with American Canine Association. Ever hear of it?

The ACA is a no questioned asked registry who will paper or "register" any dog for a fee. Highly used by puppy mills and incompetent/ignorant breeders to create the faade of purebred and "registered" in order to make more money from a dog.

The ACA bills itself as the "Americas largest veterinary health tracking purebred registry". Yet in order to certify the genetic health of a dog and to record permanent health records you only need your vet to check the teeth, eyes and listen to the heart of the dog. Pathetic.

I got some issues with the AKC but if a pup cant be registered with the AKC, what is that saying about the linage?

o

Hey robin,thanks for your post. Cody is beautiful!
My comment about the pet store was not referring to your Cody, but the fact that puppy mills supply the pet stores. When people buy from them they are supporting puppy mills.
I've never been involved in an actual puppy mill rescue but have known a few. One was female doxie about 6yrs old. She had had God knows how many litters (they are usually bred every heat). Her teeth were rotten, her feet were weird. She had been kept in a cage her entire life just breeding and pumping out puppies for PetLand. Amazingly she was a rather sweet dog. She eventually got used to grass and the carpet and all those new things. Unfortunately, they never could housebreak her, so they just cleaned up after her. She did live a few years in a good home before health issues caused an early death. I can't remember what they were exactly. But my whole point was to find out more about the difficulties that come with having a puppy mill dog.And yes, the place he came from was a puppy mill. Cody is a very lucky little dog.

o

We're the lucky ones. My husband, at first, didn't want to be a slave-as he put it- to any animal. Our kids are gone and he hoped to travel. I whimpered and he gave in. He said 'if you can find one, fine' I believe he didn't think I'd find what I wanted around here. He adores that dog now. Takes him along whenever he can, shares whatever he eating with him except chocolate and peanuts. Our biggest problem is finding a reliable sitter when we go on vacation.

o

My first visit to gardenweb, and I've already learned something. A few months ago I rescued a small Malamut from a meth-lab house. The owner got busted and the dog was going to the pound and the neighbors begged me to get it as a companion for my male. Her hair was dry as corn stalks and thin too, and her ribs were showing. She was afraid of everything. She had registration papers from the Continental Kennel Club saying she was a purebred Mal. I have often wondered about that though. When I got her she weighed 52lbs. She's a very healthy and happy 58.5-pounder now, but that's still significantly undersized for her breed. Yes, she was a puppy mill puppy originally purchased from a national chain pet-store. It's amazing the creep who had her saved the papers

o

Wow, what a story, how lucky you are for finding each other.

I have a question, not wishing to perpetuate rumor here, but someone recently told me the Amish are big "Puppy Mill" operators. Again, this is urban legend for all I know, the assertion was shocking to me but perhaps it is true? Anyone know more?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here