SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pooks1976

Where do all the shelter/rescue/craigslist dogs come from?

pooks1976
14 years ago

So our dog recently passed away and after grieving we have decided that we want another dog. Our first instinct was to go the shelter or rescue route. We don't have a strong desire to have a puppy. I am shocked at the number of pets in rescues, shelters, and listed privately for rehoming. I keep coming back to the question of where did all these pets come from originally?

Here is my thinking, in my area good breeders want the pet back if the owner can't keep it, so most of these animals shouldn't have come from good breeders. So did most of these come from OOPS puppies from people who didn't fix their dogs (I am shocked at how many 1+ year old dogs aren't fixed), back yard breeders who advertise in the news paper, or pet stores, who get their dogs from puppy mills.

If they are puppy mill dogs, will they ever make good pets or will they have behavioral problems and health problems?

I didn't have internet the last time I got a dog(It's been a long while) and this has just been an eye opener.

Comments (8)

Sponsored