Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting to sleep a cat that pees outside the box

Posted by livvysmom (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 14:41

Now this will surely cause a debate but I am interested in seeing how much people will tolerate.

My sister put her cat to sleep at the age of 10 (about 2 years ago) because she could not get her to stop peeing on the carpets. The cat had done it for about 3 years on and off and in 3 different houses. My sister spent thousand of dollars replacing carpeting. She of course did take the cat (female) to the vet and he said it was behavior. I think it started when she moved to a house where the owner's previous cats had peed. Anyhow, with a new house and toddler -- she couldn't take it anymore.

My husband put is cat to sleep at the age of 14 for spraying (not peeing). The cat (male) started it after I moved in when we got married. He sprayed my clothes, patio furniture, a worker's boots, etc... We never sought medication for him (didn't really know it existed at the time 9 years ago). In hindsight I feel bad about it but I don't know what we could have done differently.

I see soooo many threads on pet sites about peeing cats and I feel sooo bad for those owners. It is a frustrating problem that is often very difficult to solve. Rehoming can be very traumatic for a cat and who is going to take a cat that pees inappropriately anyway?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting to sleep a cat that pees outside the box

My brother adopted a cat and it was younger. It started having problems and would pee everywhere. He brought it to the vet a number of times and tried to deal with the problem for months however nothing seemed to help. Finally, because his wife and him bought a new house they had to give the cat back to the shelter. He felt bad but it seemed the cat was not happy and they could not help it. They were having a baby and did not want the house to have urine everywhere. I understand this. I think I would do the same thing.
If the cat were older maybe he would have thought about putting it to sleep. I do not know if he even considered this.
I think I would do as much as I could and hope the problem would be solved however cats are complex. I think I would try to find a farm that would take the cat for a barn cat maybe. If I couldn't do that I would really have to think about other solutions.

Do I think it is horrible that people do that? I don't think so as long as they try to solve the problem. I assume cats that are having that problem are not happy or are scared.

o

I've had to do it. Not a great day, but what can else can you do if it is behavioral and not a medical condition?

If it is behavorial and you give the cat to the shelter, the cat is traumatized and will most like pee in the home it is adopted into.

If you tell the truth to the shelter (which I think most don't but should) and they tell the truth to a prospective adopter, do you think they would take a cat that pees in the house. I would not.

I made the best decision and only one for me under the circumstance I was given.

I would do it again if the problem heaven forbid, ever becomes an issue with another cat. Maybe not politically correct, but that's just me.

o

My sister was telling me one day about her cat that suddenly started peeing on their laundry and carpet. She got fed up with it, and chucked it outside. It disappeared, never to be seen again. I stared at her in shock, and said "You do realize it probably just had a UTI and needed some antibiotics? It would have been fine within a few days." My sister isn't a bad person...just uneducated, and not someone who cares a lot about animals. *sigh*

I think that you should take the cat to the vet, and make certain that there are no underlying medical conditions. Then attempt medication for behavioral issues -- that usually will resolve the situation to a tolerable state. If that gets you nowhere, then either see if you can find a place where it can live out its life outside in a barn, or cat rescue community. I wouldn't just give it back to the shelter, because then the next person is going to have the same issues. Once you've exhausted all possibilities, if you have no choice, then I think humanely euthanizing the cat is acceptable (but most vets will do everything in their power to help you find some solution before it comes to that, I would think/hope).

o

I don't believe in euthanizing an animal at the first sign of trouble. I don't see that here. I would put it in the category of taking responsibility. Rather than dumping it on someone else. The same goes for those who will euthanize a dog that is a biter or a danger to other animals. Some people would say that is wrong. That maybe the dog just needs more training or needs to go to a home with no other pets. I call it taking responsibility. It's difficult, but sometimes it's the right thing to do.

o

I draw the line at giving prozac or something like that to a cat. JMHO:-) I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a prescription plan for my pets. I pay an exhorbinant amount of money as it is for meds. In the event the cat has a behavioral issue, I don't think I would spend time or money trying to figure it out.

If it is a physical problem, however, I would put the money into the cat as I have done in the past as one of my male neutered cats had the blockage thing happen to the tune of $800. There wasn't even a question, save the cat, do what you have to, I will figure out a way to pay for it.

o

I can't believe that people would kill their cat just for peeing!!! they must not have much love for them anyways to be able to do something like that and live with themselves.

o

I draw the line at giving prozac or something like that to a cat. JMHO:-) I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a prescription plan for my pets.

It's really quite cheap. You're not giving an entire pill to the cat -- my cat gets an eighth of a pill every day. So a bottle of 30 pills lasts a very, very long time. I just bought a bottle, which cost me $35. That should last me several months. You're really saying you wouldn't shell out that relatively small amount of money for something that is easily solved?

I can't believe that people would kill their cat just for peeing!!!

That's easy for you to say. Ever had a cat that peed on every piece of furniture in your house and would not stop? I haven't either (my cat's urinary problems are mostly resolved with medication), but if I had, I certainly would rethink whether or not I could continue to live with that situation. Especially if I had children.

I'm not saying if my cat peed on the floor one day, I would march him down to the vet, and say "Gas him!" It would be a last resort, after every other possible solution has been discarded.

o

rivkadr....

as a matter of fact, I have 2 cats that are CRF, and they have peed from time to time, as well as throwing up. I would never dream of having them put down for it.

o

Well, rita, you're obviously able to live with it. Some people can't. I'm not willing to judge other people for not being wanting to live in permanent cat urine -- IF they have exhausted all possibilities.

o

I think most people have had cats that peed from "time to time" That's not what is being discussed. I have a cat that throws up on a daily basis. I deal with it. If I had cat that peed everywhere, all the time and every effort was made to correct it, I honestly don't know what I would do. Especially because that might cause all my other animals to start doing the same. Then thing would get really smelly.
What would you suggest?

o

As I said, I was only expressing what I would do. Personally, can't stand the smell of cat urine. I have found nothing that can get that smell out. I have replaced carpet and furniture to get the smell out of my house.

I do, however, take exception at "I can't believe that people would kill their cat just for peeing!!! they must not have much love for them anyways to be able to do something like that and live with themselves".

I don't feel the need to justify my actions to anyone. I am a grown woman and I don't need anyone's approval to do as I see fit with my pets. My pets' care is between me and my vet. I can live with myself just fine.

It is unsanitary to allow a cat to continue to pee in your home. I like a nice clean home and manage to keep it that way with 3 large labradors and 3 male cats. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I do a darn good job of keeping on top of the dog hair and the cat boxes.

I guess you have never had to visit someone who lives with a cat who pees all over the house. It reflects badly on the owner. Like it or not, people judge your home the minute they walk in the door and if they are knocked over by the smell of urine, believe me, your nice urine smell will be what they associate you/your home with. Sad but true.

If it comes to the point that the cat needs prozac, the cost is really not the issue now that I have read your post beeanne. If an animal is that unhappy that it pees all over my house, I think it is the humane thing to do to euthanize it rather than chance it being rehomed to someone who will boot it out the door if it pees on their carpet. You also hit on another point that I hadn't thought to post, in that, once one pees, it attracts the others to do likewise.

"as a matter of fact, I have 2 cats that are CRF, and they have peed from time to time, as well as throwing up. I would never dream of having them put down for it".

That's your decision if you like or enjoy the smell of pee. Vomit is another issue. Cats don't vomit because they have a behavior problem, and vomitting can be dealt with even if it is only a hairball situation. Vomitting is a sign of a health issue not to be likened to peeing because of a behavioral issue. It is comparing apples and oranges. I would not put a cat down because it vomitted either.

Like I said, I don't want a cat peeing in my house. If there is a medical issue I will certainly care for it, but if the cat has a bug up its butt and is peeing to get my attention, I am going to euthanize it.

o

I've had cats pee in the house before but not on any kind of regular basis. I can only imagine how awful it would be to constantly deal with that. All I can say is that unless you're in the situation, you don't know HOW you would handle it. And HOW you deal doesn't mean that particular arrangement will work for another.

On the other hand, I turned into a psychotic nut when, for weeks, a stray male cat was spraying on everything we own... and I do mean -everything-. I ran after him with a stick once. I didn't hit him, but a different day, I could have wanted to. Like I said, I had turned psychotic. :)

o

If it comes to the point that the cat needs prozac, the cost is really not the issue now that I have read your post beeanne. If an animal is that unhappy that it pees all over my house,

I don't think it's "unhappiness" that makes a cat pee on things -- it's not like a cat is thinking, "Oh, I'm so depressed, I'm going to pee on things to get my owner's attention." You're ascribing human emotions to an animal. In my cat's case, it's territorial issues. The vets aren't giving the cats "prozac" (or in my cat's case, clomicalm) to cure depression. My cat is aggressive with our other cat, and becomes territorial whenever he sees/smells other cats from the neighborhood (oooh, free-roaming cats; another topic dear to my heart!) He reacts to that by peeing on things.

I'm still surprised that you wouldn't be willing to resolve that kind of problem with what is a nominal fee. This is, in some respects, a medical problem, if you consider behavioral problems a mental "illness". It's something that CAN be cured, with minimal effort, without having to kill an animal, if you're willing to make the effort. It saddens me that you baldly state that you wouldn't even make the effort -- that doesn't fall under making every possible effort, in my book.

o

I'm shaking my head and I can't believe I'm reading this.

I have one simple comment . . freaken people who euthanize a cat for urinating shouldn't have a cat. What a disposable society we live in.

o

Cats are definitely not like dogs, their behavior is not predictable. What makes one cat happy is not what makes all cats happy.
There are cats that like to be house-cats, there are cats that need more challenges, and many times these are the ones who get frustrated and start peeing. If one lives in the country, as I do, all my cats always had the option to be outside whenever they wanted to, and so there was not any frustration.
Trico, a prima donna is there ever was one, did not like to be picked up and held like a baby. I had a house guest who insisted on doing this, so Trico peed in her suitcase. My friend thought this was a nasty cat, but Trico really did was make a statement.
Smokey and Schatzi were rivals, and they began a pi$$ing contest, by the time I discovered it, they had ruined some books and videos. In their case I just made sure that only one was inside at any one time. Smokey got taken one night, and I was very sad about it, but it's more natural than to euthanize an animal; in the circle of Life everything may be food for something else - even humans - they go back to the microbes.
Cats are Aliens in many ways and so need to be treated on a very individual basis.

o

As the owner of a cat who pees on everything,including my bed and has ruined my carpet and several pieces of furniture,I agree with Labmomma! I have a beautiful double wide mobile home that we purchsed 8 years ago and it smells,or should I say "reeks" of cat urine. We are not rich,nor are we getting any younger and this home is the only new home we will ever have. Why should I allow a cat to ruin something that we have worked for all our lives? I have exhausted all possibilities of breaking this cat's habit and tried all kinds of cleaners to get rid of the odor,to no avail. The only alternative is to get rid of the cat and replace all the carpet in the house,which I can't afford to do. I will probably just have to rip up all the carpet and paint the floors!
I am having the dilema at this moment of whether to have her euthanized or take her to a lady that wants a barn cat. The dilema is that this cat has never been outside and there is no way she is going to go out on her own. I hate the thought of her going "bonkers" if she is taken to a barn and I know that is what she will do. I believe it would be more humane to have her put down. I feel guilty about having to do either but sometimes we have to do what is the best solution for the problem.

"freaken people who euthanize a cat for urinating shouldn't have a cat. What a disposable society we live in."
Obviously you have never lived with the problem of a cat that pees on everything day in and day out. If this was an occasional little quirk it would be different,but it is an every day thing,all over the house and has been going on for several months! I don't like the thought of taking the life of a pet for whatever reason but as I said,sometimes we do what we have to do. This is not something that I take lightly,so don't diss me for something that I feel is the right thing for me and my household,just because YOU don't agree with it. And don't YOU tell ME I have no business with a pet! You don't know me and you don't know my situation. You know the old Indian saying,"Don't judge me until you have walked a mile in my shoes"? Well............DON'T.....until you do!!

o

I would only euthanise if the animal had something that was causing it to suffer - don't think I could do it for the sake of peeing in the house.

Had a cat once that had UT issues and periodic seizures. She was a lovely, sweet animal that had a problem.

She kept her peeing in certain areas of the house, and we used pieces of clear plexi/plastic in those areas.

In those days, the vet put her on valium - it was cheap, and it was just a teeny bit of a pill each day.

My other cat did fine in the litterbox even tho they shared a house. So even smelling the peeing cat's urine didn't confuse my other cat. She still went straight for litterbox.

Most pet owners I have known who have problems with throwup or urine wait until the pet is gone to recarpet. In the meantime they just try to clean it up as the accidents happen.

Baby wipes, when used immediately when the pee or throwup is found, help with the odor.

Hot water mixed with plain old baking soda, sprayed onto a spot also help deodorize during cleanup.

No foolproof way to get rid of the smell totally when there is a urine problem, but certainly would not recommend buing all new carpet when the issue still exists. Only one way that will turn out, if the animal is still urinating.

o

My sister had trouble with her neutered male cat for years...was told it was behavioral problem...her vet tried everything.

One trip to my vet and a Depo provera shot later....wha-la!

The cat was old at this point, but she did get to have a few months of peace with no peeing.

I, myself, have a few cats that "prefer" not to use the litter box. They have become outdoor cats (I am in the country)...they have their own house (a solid outbuilding) and a dog door to come and go as they please. I acclimated them during the spring months and they got very attached to their new home. They seem quite happy, don't venture off (beyond my property) and I don't have to worry about them. I could have NEVER euthanized them for my convenience. They are now giving back by catching all sorts of critters: moles, voles, mice, etc....always leaving me presents by the door of their house.

o

Since I can't log in as "freakin pet owner" to the reference the above poster. Don't care what you all think. If you like, you can post your names and addresses and I'll let my vet and friends know that if they have a cat who pees all over their stuff, I'll send them your way in order to ugh god forbid - I will euthanize it.

As for getting the odor out with a baby wipe. You are fooling yourself, or your real friends aren't telling you what your home smells like. I can tell if someone isn't tending to their litter box like they should.

BTW I too once had a cat that had to take valium so I am not opposed to giving pills or finding out what's wrong. She licked her hair off constantly. Took her to several allergists, etc. Turned out she had OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Vet recommended to put her out of her misery and put her to sleep. The cat hid under the bed and in my closet licking herself all day long. She's happier where she is now.

You all have a great time in your urine smelling homes and be sure to keep some baby wipes on hand since you can't make a cat that is acting out stop. JMHO once again.

o

I have exhausted all possibilities of breaking this cat's habit and tried all kinds of cleaners to get rid of the odor,to no avail.

Gah! I know for a fact that you have NOT tried drugs yet, becase you have said in the other thread that you haven't. You have NOT tried everything yet.

There IS a simple solution for a cat that pees all over the place -- drugs will solve the problem, most of the time.

You all have a great time in your urine smelling homes and be sure to keep some baby wipes on hand since you can't make a cat that is acting out stop.

I humbly disagree. There are three examples in this thread already of people that have had behavioral issues with cats peeing inappropriately. Drugs solved the problem in these cases. I simply do not understand why you are simply dismissing drugs, and saying that you should just euthanize cats that eliminate inappropriately. There IS a solution that will work in many, many cases. I'm sorry for your one cat that had OCD -- that was a completely different problem, and has nothing to do with this discussion; it may or may not have been a curable problem. Improper elimination IS treatable in most cases.

o

For the record, it was not in my post that "I have exhausted all possibilities of breaking this cat's habit and tried all kinds of cleaners to get rid of the odor,to no avail." Maybe Lillie has done all she can do or is willing and it is not your place to judge. Maybe she's like me and doesn't want her guests to be knocked over by the smell of cat urine when she greets them at the door for a get together, cocktail party or coffee. As I said previously, it reflects badly on you if your house stinks and IMHO people who have cats that pee on their carpets and furniture and other pieces of furniture HAVE AN ODOR PROBLEM or they wouldn't be posting it. Do you think they are making it up? No of course you don't. You want to convince us that we must try drugs. You do understand that one med may work on one cat and yet it may not work on another and you may have to go thru 3-4 meds before you get the right one, thus peeing continues all the while.

This is a debate forum, not a place for us to accuse one another of not being a good enough owner. Who are you to judge people? If I don't want to drug my pet with an SSRI or other form of anti-psychotic medication, that is between me and my vet. Not between me, you and my vet. It is a private decision.

I was accused of not being a fit pet owner so I did reply about the OCD cat. Yes different set of circumstances, but what I was trying to get across was that I do work with my pets. However, I am not willing to work with a cat that pees. Never despite how many times you recommend I do so with different drugs. Just not gonna happen.

Baby wipes do not take the smell of urine out of your belongings. If your baby wipes do, then pehaps you should not use them on humans because they must have something very strong in them. Amonia, disinfectant, professional cleaning do not remove cat urine odor in my experience.

Just to clear the issue of carpet replacement, since I see some think I replaced stuff and then was angry when the cat peed again. Not the case. Of course I didn't replace anything until I got the cat out of the house. Do I appear that dense in my posts that you think I would actually replace things before I removed the offender?

Its your right to disagree, do what you think is best for your pets, I will do what I think is best for mine.

This will be my last post regarding this particular issue, we will just have to agree to disagree on this particular issue :-).

o

Goodness I know it's a debate forum, but we can still offer helpful solutions.

My comment about the carpet was in response to OP who said they spent thousands on new carpets. Was only suggesting that before that much money is spent, that other things can be tried.

I like the poster who found that their solution was to turn them into outdoor cats, which depending on the situation, can be an alternative to euthanasia.

I'm sorry I was not clear on my cleaning tips. I use the wipes on throwup. If it's found before it has sat too long, it really works great (even when DD was a baby and spitting up like crazy - guess there's not a euthanasia alternative for messy infants - kidding). In a pinch I'm sure wipes would be good on some urine spills but I find soaking it up, then using the hot water/baking soda in a spray bottle works great on all kinds of messes in the house, including urine.

Years ago when we had the peeing cat with UTI, the plexiglass was an option because luckily she had most of her accidents in the same area. I think in her case, she really WANTED to make it to the litterbox but her poor body would not allow it. The valium did help, though.

It would be interesting to hear any other ideas, because as some posters said, a beloved pet could have many accident-free years, and then health can cause the peeing to start. Would be nice if, when that day arrives, someone has read good ideas to use in a place like this forum.

o

My husband visited a friend a couple months ago who is trying to sell his $900,000 house. DH said the house reeks of cat pee.

Now that they have moved (a newly built 1.5 mil house) they have had to tear up a bunch of very expensive carpeting in the old house to get it to sell.

I can't imagine they took the three cats to the new house but I am too afraid to ask.

I am of the opinion try what you are willing to try but this is a problem that a person cannot be expected to live with. Carpet is one thing but how is the world would you get the smell out of couch cushions? Just go out and buy another $1,500 couch?

o

Obviously the first thing to do is rule out and fix any medical causes for urinating outside the litter box. Most of the time, cats are urinating outside the box for a MEDICAL reason, many of which can be managed.
Second, behaviorists recommend that you have one more litterbox than the number of cats in the household. So a person with 3 cats needs at least 4 litterboxes to avoid problems.
Third, any change in the litter, box, location, may make the cat pee outside the box. If there have been any changes, switch back to what you used to use. Do not use cleaning products in the litterbox. Many products smell horrible to cats, and it masks their scent so much that they forget where their toilet is. Use dishwashing liquid and rinse well.
Fourth, there are behavior modifications that can be used to help the cat use the litterbox. One can try to retrain the cat by keeping the cat confined in a small room that is easy to clean (ie laundry room, heated/cooled garage, spare bathroom) with a clean litterbox. Cats will not generally use a dirty litterbox (hence multiple boxes for multiple cats), so the box must be kept clean if one expects the cat to use it. Also some cats are responding to certain things that causes them to pee outside the box, such as a feral cat at the window, associating the litterbox with pain after a UTI, etc. Then you may have to place the box in a different location, use a completely different type of litter, and possibly a different type box (covered, noncovered, deep, shallow, plastic, metal, automatic or not, etc.).
Finally, certain drugs in combination with behavior modification programs can help. People have already mentioned prozac, valium, and clomicalm. There are many more. You could go through quite a bit finding the right combo of drugs and litter that finally gets the cat peeing in the box.
In extreme cases, I've known people to add cat rooms to their house, either by converting a sunroom or specifically adding to the house. They are designed to be easily cleaned, and the floors are easily refinishable once the cat passes or the owner decides to move.
Of course, not everyone can do all these things. Some cats are impossible to pill, which precludes the behavior drugs. If the owner has exhausted all of their means to help the cat and it still pees outside the box and can't be rehomed or made into an outdoor cat, or given its own kitty room, then I think euthanasia is the only solution.

o

Labmomma-You have expressed my feelings on this subject to a T! Thank you!

"(Gah! I know for a fact that you have NOT tried drugs yet, becase you have said in the other thread that you haven't. You have NOT tried everything yet)".

Exactly how do you know "for a fact" that I haven't tried drugs? You live with me? You know only what I have mentioned. Maybe I just haven't mentioned it yet? However,I'll clear this up right now. NOT that it is really any of your business. I will explain why this whole matter is so frustrating for me. Not because I think I owe anyone an explanation,but to explain that there are some extenuating circumstances beyond my control involved in this situation!
I am handicapped. I don't drive and have no way of taking my cat to the vet myself. I have to depend on someone else to help me,either my DH or one of my kids,all of whom work 8 to 10 hours a day. They don't get off work until after Vet hours,and none are able to take off work to take my cat to the Vet!
No,I haven't tried drugs and probably won't for a number of reasons,all of which just happen to be my own personal business and not yours! The main one being that this cat is almost impossible to medicate,even with liquid meds,and there is no way I can do it alone. It takes at least 3 people and even then it is not always successful.
Due to my handicap,I am not able to shampoo carpets and furniture every time the cat pees somewhere,or even treat the places where she goes as soon as she goes. That also has to be done by a member of my family,all of whom work 5-6 days a week. I have done what "I" see as everything possible. You may "humbly dissagree" till the cows come home,but YOU are not me. I didn't ask you to "understand" and I really could care less whether you do or not! This is a decision between me and my household and you nor anyone else has the right to tell me it is the wrong one!

Ritamay-To say that because I would consider euthanizing my cat because she is peeing I must not love my cat is really a cruel and unfeeling statement. I do love my cat and it has been a hard decision for me to make,but one that I and my family agree is for the best!

Meghane-As I previously posted,the medical aspect has been ruled out and all the litterbox suggestions have been tried. I would love to be able to confine her to her own space or build a cat room but that just isn't feasable in my circumstances. And as I mentioned earlier,if I throw her outside with the outside cats,she probably wouldn't last a day. We live on a busy interstate service road and I surely don't want to see her splattered all over the road! So in my heart and mind the best and most humane thing for her is euthanasia. I still haven't decided for sure what I'm going to do. The barn cat option is still open if I can ever contact the lady that was interested and find out exactly what the circumstances would be for her.
Anyway,I have said all I am going to say about this so thanks to everyone for the positive comments. For the ones with the nasty,negative and judgemental comments,hopefully you will have to go through a similar situation at some time in your life and we will see how you handle it!.........Lillie

o

I say that I couldn't put an animal down for peeing but I've never been faced with that problem. Cat pee is horrible and next to impossible to get rid of. I'd hate to think of a cat ruining my home and the first thing that someone would notice when they walked in would be the smell. I used to say that I'd never consider declawing and I ended up having to do that to one of my cats. Thankfully even after 43 years of owning cats I've never had to deal with a cat not peeing in it's litter box. I certainly don't see anything wrong with trying tranquilizers or SSRI's to see if that would help.

o

This is kind of a sad situation. I can understand people putting to sleep a very old cat with bladder problems, but if a cat is young with behavioral troubles...I'd have it in a completely covered (large) backyard pen or keep it as an outside cat. My grandmother's cat Amos is 13 or so...probably more like 16 for all I know. He pees on everything. she put up with it for a year, then made him a permanent outside cat. He didn't run away and now he still gets loved and babyed, just not in the house.

o

Meghane, you mention: Second, behaviorists recommend that you have one more litterbox than the number of cats in the household. So a person with 3 cats needs at least 4 litterboxes to avoid problems.

I agree and was just getting ready to mention this point before I saw your post. When I was pretty deep in cat rescue, I had multiple cat litter boxes...
A big reason for this is some very quiet communication can be going on between cats and one cat may "claim" their pee box and not allow the other/s to use it. They have to find a new place. Other choices allow for each to have their own.

Also, something to add, I can only imagine how bit a 900,000 home must be...I wonder if they only had one cat box for all that square footage. In a normal split level house, there should be at least two boxes...best to have one on each floor if possible.

Something that might help....

o

Exactly how do you know "for a fact" that I haven't tried drugs?

Because you said in the other thread that you have not tried them.

The main one being that this cat is almost impossible to medicate,even with liquid meds,and there is no way I can do it alone

Have you asked for suggestions on medicating? My cat is impossible to medicate, too. I mash the pill up, and put it in some soft cat food before I feed him. He gobbles it right up. Problem solved. There are always solutions, if you care enough to try to find them.

You may "humbly dissagree" till the cows come home,but YOU are not me. I didn't ask you to "understand" and I really could care less whether you do or not!

Well, this is the debate forum, after all ;) You have your opinion, I have mine. You said that you had "exhausted every possibility" -- I was pointing out that you had not. Sorry if that got you upset, but I just call it like I see it. If you choose to bring your personal problem into the thread, then it is going to get discussed, as are your personal decisions -- if you don't want those decisions discussed, then you probably shouldn't bring them up.

o
Another thing....

I just thought of this, too....

We would get quite a few "peeing cats" into rescue who the owners claimed had a problem. Part of our job in rescue was to solve the problem and find them a good home.

I am very much against declawing and this is one of the reasons:

Declawing can occasionally leave tiny bone fragments within the paw. When one of these fragments moves around, it might begin to get sore or even infected. When the cat begins to scratch in the litter box, they feel pain...if they feel the pain every time they scratch in the box, they begin to associate the box with pain.

To test and see if this could be the issue, we would tear up newspaper into small (ticker tape) shreds and place in the box (something soft for them to scratch on). Most of the declawed cats preferred this soft material.

BTW: Depo provera is for male cats...it is a hormone adjustment shot, not a pill for anxiety or depression.

The cat needs to go to the vet to test for a UTI first before anything else...this is probably the most common reason for females to urinate outside the box.

Oh, and one other thing....if attempting to relocate a cat to an outdoor (barn) environment, you should close them in the barn for quite some time (I recommend at least a few months)...usually barns have some type of room to use for this. This will allow the cat to become familiar to sounds and smells and adapt without as much fear. To simply take them over and let them go will most likely be disasterous.

o

Rivkdar-Sorry,but you DON'T know anything for a FACT! I have addressed the medicating problem and discussed all the little "tricks" to getting it down them with my vet.This cat WILL NOT eat anything but dry food and she will eat NOTHING from my hand! She won't even eat the best canned cat food or even pink salmon or albacore tuna.Believe me,I have tried it! Kind of hard to mash up a pill and put it in dry food,so for me the problem ISN'T solved.I guess I could take her,(or get some of my family to take her)to the vet every day and have the vet give her the medication or have it given intraveinously??? And,the only reason I brought my personal problem into this was so others could see that this is not something I have taken lightly.Yes,this is a "debate" forum but it is also NOT a forum to criticize or judge others because of a choice they have had to make,just because we don't agree with that choice ourselves.
Webkat-My cat has not been declawed,so that isn't part of the problem.She has been checked for all the possible urinary problems,infections,stones,crystals,etc.All negative.
I understand what you say about relocating cats to a barn and that is my main concern about it.I don't want to just take her and dump her there,no more than I want to throw her outside.That is why I haven't done anything about it yet,because I haven't been able to contact the lady to see what the circumstances will be.
Personally,I think this subject has been debated to death.I don't think I should have to continue to defend myself for making a decision that I feel is best for me and my family,so I will not respond to any more posts.Thanks again for all the positive feedback.......Lillie

o

Posted by trekaren (My Page) on Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 7:16

I would only euthanise if the animal had something that was causing it to suffer - don't think I could do it for the sake of peeing in the house.
So what would you do? spend years with cat pee? Dump your animal on someone else to deal with? What some people seem to overlook is the wonderful animals with no baggage that are killed every day for lack of homes. Is it really a good thing to pour money and time into one that has so many problems? This is one reason I got burned out on rescue. You go ahead and spend countless hours and hundreds or thousands of dollars on your pet that is old and missing the box. I have respect for those who say Enuff already.

o

However,I'll clear this up right now. NOT that it is really any of your business.

You made it my business when you introduced your cat's issue into this debate topic. If you didn't want it discussed in this thread, you shouldn't have introduced it. You can't just introduce it, and then because you don't like how someone responds to it, say "You have no right to say anything about my situation! It's none of your business!" You brought up the fact that you're planning on euthanizing your cat for inappropriate elimination -- do you expect everyone on this thread to applaud that decision?

Yes,this is a "debate" forum but it is also NOT a forum to criticize or judge others because of a choice they have had to make,just because we don't agree with that choice ourselves.

*sigh* Why is it that when someone starts disagreeing with people on this forum, others start crying "You're judging me!" or "Stop criticizing me!" Where exactly have I either judged or criticized you? You said that you had exhausted "every possibility" -- I pointed out that by my definition of "every possibility" (which I defined in the third post in this thread), you had not (at least based on what you had posted so far in the other thread in the Pets Forum). If you took that as personal criticism of you, then I'm sorry for that.

That's the problem with bringing personal experience or decisions into a thread like this. If anyone dares to respond in any way to that post that is the opposite of what the OP wants to hear, then the OP is going to get defensive, and feel like they're being attacked.

o

I will only put in one more post Lillie - do what you want. IT's your life.

As for the rivkadir poster and the others you are a bunch of judgmental people. I for one would not post a question on this particular forum. I am new to it and usually stay with the cooking and entertaining forums, I made the mistake of giving it a whirl on this one. Like I said mistake. For me.

No way I want to be like some of you and I definitely don't agree with you nor ever want your suggestions. You are way too judgmental. I know, the next post by you is your gonna say well you made it our business. Wrong.
Question posted, you should post what you think not what you think someone else should do in the bible according to rivkador.

To the positive helpful people I thank you for giving me some things to think about...

o

lillie1441- I wasn't referring specifically to any post except trekaren who asked we post something helpful. So I did. I did specifically state that not all people can do all things for a variety of reasons.

I don't believe that a cat that is so stressed out that it won't even use a litterbox is a happy cat. If the cat is that stressed out and nothing can be done about it, then I do believe that humanely euthanizing the cat is an appropriate action. Others would disagree and that's fine. But I'm not one to force another living being to suffer.

o

I am new to it and usually stay with the cooking and entertaining forums, I made the mistake of giving it a whirl on this one. Like I said mistake. For me.

As it says at the top of the forum:

Feel free to discuss it here, but remember that these topics tend to appeal to articulate people with strong opinions and often these debates are sometimes heated.

Question posted, you should post what you think not what you think someone else should do in the bible according to rivkador.

I'm sick of it being beat up on rivkadr day, just because I posted my opinion on the matter. I don't think it's judgmental of me to point out to someone that they have not exhausted all possibilities with their pet, when they have in fact, not (IMO). I did NOT sit there and say "I think you should do this and this, and I think you're a bad pet owner, and you suck for daring to think of killing your pet, blah, blah, blah," and everything else that you and she are accusing me of. You both are reading more into my statements because you're feeling defensive, for whatever reason. Like the two of you, I'm just going to drop the discussion with the two of you, because I don't think it's going anywhere.

To get back on topic:

My view on the topic as a whole is pretty clear, I think. If your cat is peeing inappropriately:

1) Take them to the vet and make sure they're not sick.
2) If it's not a medical condition, try some changes around your house (more boxes, new litter, etc.)
3) If that doesn't work, try drugs.
4) If that doesn't work, try to rehome them as a barn cat or in a cat community (hard to find them, but they exist!)
5) If all else fails, then euthanize.

I personally don't believe that anyone should skip any of those steps -- taking the life of another animal that you have accepted into your home as a companion animal should be an absolute last resort, IMO. Understand that my saying that euthanizing an animal at all is a big step for me -- as a vegetarian, I would prefer to not take the life of any animals at all, but in this case, I think it is best for the animal. I agree with meghane that an animal in such a situation is probably not one that is content, and it's best to not let it keep suffering.

o

Aw, Lillie and Labmomma, my heart goes out to you because we went thru this earlier this year and it was one of the hardest things we ever had to do. Our 18 y.o. had been in CRF for nearly 2 years and the peeing problem went on for the last 3 months of her life. We had her in for check ups a number of times, there were no UTIs and we were at the end of our rope when she started doing it in the living and dining rooms, finally staining the dining room floor. Most of our home is oak hardwood flooring. We had adopted 2 kittens and there was just no way that we could have them learning this habit so we reached a very hard, gut wrenching decision. She did have some serious health issues and her entire life was just sleeping on her couch and eating at this point, so saying good-bye to her was eased knowing she was going to be at peace and painfree. But it was the most difficult decision we had ever made.

o

beeanne,

If my peeing cat issue had not been easily worked around at the time, I have no idea what we may have done. She was otherwise completely healthy and happy.

I doubt I would spend thousands on the issue - however with the situation above where they said they had a house on the market there's probably not a big choice about carpet replacement.

If the cat was young and vital and otherwise healthy, I guess I'd suffer with the problem and try to figure out some workaround - I suppose until we all get in the situation, we wont know how we'd handle it because every cat is different, every home situation is different and every family is different.

I suppose it has to be handled on a case by case basis. Even when an animal IS suffering, we pet owners still come to the decision of euthanasia very hesitantly. I don't think anyone here would take the decision lightly and I know how hard that bridge was to cross. ((Hugs))

o

seems that the "pro" euthanizers are really angry and mean in their comments.. Could it be they feel guilty within themselves at some level???

o

I agree, ritamay, guilt breeds angry defensiveness...*sigh*

Something else I thought of:

For those who are not able to take the cat to the vet, try contacting a rescue organization....I am sure you could find one in your area that could help you get medical treatment/pills for your cat. Petfinder.com is a great way to search for local organizations.

I have trimmed the claws of many "impossible to trim" cats. I have gotten pills down those "impossible to pill" cats. I think if you turn to some experts in your area, they will help you.

Unless the cat is old (18 is old and incontinence is not what is being discussed here) or has an internal medical problem, then the peeing outside the box is either behavioral or pain (because of declawing) related. Even if the cat is not declawed, they can occasionally have abscesses on their feet or toes.

o

Please forgive me if I came across as judgemental. From my experience, having been involved in animal rescue, subjects like this touch a sore spot. I've held *healthy* animals and balled my eyes out when they were euthanized because nobody wanted them anymore. I was there to love them during their last moment. They know their life is over. I will never be able to erase the visions from my head, especially seeing them jump when the medicine is injected into the vain.

lillie1441 - "You know the old Indian saying,"Don't judge me until you have walked a mile in my shoes" Oh yes, I have been through it.

Respectfully, Edna, who is gracefully bowing out of this forum.

o

Trekaren, I think that you see the difficulty that those in this situation face. Not too long ago I would have been on the other side, seeing horror in a choice of euthanasia in a situtation such as this. But we really don't know what we will do until faced with such a challenge. I don't think anyone here has been angry and mean without provocation, ritamay, and I pray that you are never in such a position to have make this difficult choice.

o

Lynne_d

With all due respect, I would never find myself in that situation, because it is just something I would not do. I just feel very strongly that when you get an animal, it is for life, good or bad. That you make a commitment to take care of that life......people need to realize that it will not always be this cute little healthy kitten.....that sometimes things won't be like you expected. I would suggest that people don't get an animal if they haven't given it a lot of thought.

o

You're right Lynne, people should not get an animal without giving it a lot of thought. Part of that thought should be whether or not they will be able to make those hard decisions being discussed here. The fact that the OP hasn't just thrown her cat out the door or dumped her at the shelter speaks volumes for her as a responsible pet owner IMHO.

o

Thank you beeanne. By the way it was ritamay that said one shouldn't get an animal without giving it a lot of thought.LOL Just wanted to clear that up. Don't want any missunderstandings you know.:)
And,by the way,the cat is still here. Still peeing somewhere besides her litter box,but not on my bed in the last couple of days,but that could change at any minute as I plan to strip the bed and change sheets sometime today!LOL Michele on the pets forum suggested washing the bedding in a fragrance free detergent,which I already do and adding potting soil to the top of the litter,which I will try.

o

Oh I see my mistake....red faced.... my deepest apologies to you, Lynne. I totally agree with you. :-)

o

I've solved the problem by putting up a cat fence-in system on my fences and all the "pi&^%ers" go outside to live. They have a nice cemented carport to hang out on, 2 heated sheds and a play enclosure where they can go to hang out. A 500 sq. foot grassy yard. They have everthing they need and I can have a nice smelling house. I do animal rescue and adore the animals, but I cannot live in a house with urine smell; I draw the line. I've not had to put a cat to sleep for peeing inappropriately only because I found another solution. Don't judge others for what they do. I think everyone does what is best for them. It makes me angry when people make a decision about an animal because it is an "inconvenience" and don't try to find another solution, but rather take the easy way out by euthanizing or bringing to a shelter (same thing if the animal is not adoptable).

o

Posted by brutuses (My Page) on Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 21:27

I've solved the problem by putting up a cat fence-in system on my fences and all the "pi&^%ers" go outside to live. They have a nice cemented carport to hang out on, 2 heated sheds and a play enclosure where they can go to hang out. A 500 sq. foot grassy yard. They have everthing they need and I can have a nice smelling house. I do animal rescue and adore the animals, but I cannot live in a house with urine smell; I draw the line. I've not had to put a cat to sleep for peeing inappropriately only because I found another solution. Don't judge others for what they do. I think everyone does what is best for them. It makes me angry when people make a decision about an animal because it is an "inconvenience" and don't try to find another solution, but rather take the easy way out by euthanizing or bringing to a shelter (same thing if the animal is not adoptable).
I am very confused by this post. Are you or are you not judging others? Not everyone can do what you have done for cats that pee in the house. Maybe you live near the OP and her cat can live happily ever after at your sanctuary? That would be nice. Problem solved.

o

Regarding Depo-Provera--yes, it is most commonly used to treat male cats, BUT...I have to tell you that this FEMALE human's life and mood improved hugely once I started on huge doses of the stuff (as in 6x the standard birth control dosage). I'd be willing to see if a Depo-Provera injection wouldn't maybe make a female cat's life a little happier given my experiences.

I'd LOVE to be able to give one of my cats a daily dose of antidepressant. Unfortunately, he's extremely finicky about his food (dry food ONLY, if you please, and only 3 or 4 kibbles every hour) and he's still not tame enough (11 years after he adopted us) to pick up and hold. He's much tamer than he WAS--he sleeps on my bed at night, will stay on my lap for a whole 30 seconds now, won't drink his water without a kiss on his back, and actively seeks petting from time to time, but he's nowhere tame enough to pill without setting him back to full-feral. He's also got a huge case of separation anxiety (he's FRANTIC if I'm not home on time), and that's why I think that an antidepressant would help him. He wants so much to be completely trusting and loving, and then his past and his instincts get the better of him.

Lisa

o

I don't believe that a pet owner needs to live with a cat peeing all over their home... its very destructive and causes real property damage that can costs thousands of dollars. The cat is not happy and neither is the owner.

I do agree that there are many approaches that one can try to solve the problem, from multiple litter boxes, to medications, to outdoor containment systems. However I have known some pet owners who had exhausted all options and then still had to make a very heart felt hard decision... I don't think responsible pet owners make that decision lightly.

o

I faced this issue when I lived in a quite Calif neighborhood. The choice was send kitty on to his happy hunting grounds, he was spraying everywhere, or put him outside. So out he went, he lived as a very happy outdoor cat to the age of 10, five more years than he would have had! We tried multiple boxes etc, his was an issue of territory marking.
I have a cat now that will suddenly start squatting here and there, but hers is a bladder crystal problem. We put her on special urinary tract diet RX from the vet, plus she is made to get lots of water. Sometimes cats urinary tracts get irritate because of acid content in the urine. I solved this problem by dividing out her dry food portion for the day into three servings and soaking it before she eats it. She gets about a cup of water a day, which is the right amount for a 15 pound cat. She's big boned, yeah right!

o

Urinary problems (medical not behavioral) in cats could mostly be solved by feeding canned food instead of dry. Ditto, obesity.

Dry food is mostly cereal and cats are carnivores. They don't need carbs and they can cause major problems. "Light" foods often have more carbs than regular and can cause obesity to be worse rather than better.

Dry food is convenient and some cats get "addicted" to it because it tastes so good but it is more like pastries nutritionally than meat.

BTW, fish isn't really good for cats.

The natural diet of small wild cats worldwide is mostly rodents and birds. Domestic cats are biologically almost identical. Domestic cats are descended from African wild cats which don't drink a lot of water so they often don't drink enough water and are dehydrated. Especially if they eat dry food only.

Many vets are not properly trained in nutrition but there is tons of good information out there.

A lot of problem peeing cats are really in pain, even if not detected on medical exam/tests. Especially if the peeing problems have started later in life and without a obvious trigger such as a new cat brought into the house.

o

This can really be a difficult problem for the average cat owner. I have a very large family of cats, so I spend a lot of time cleaning up the three P's. This is simply part of what I signed up for when I decided to share my life with a lot of cats.

If you have a cat that doesn't use the litterbox, once you have eliminated the possibility of a medical problem, you are probably dealing with some kind of marking behavior. Unfortunately, this isn't deviant behavior, it's normal. In some cases, you can successfully modify it, but not always. Sometimes, the only thing you will accomplish is to ruin your relationship with the cat. It never ceases to amaze me that cats use litterboxes as well as they do. After all, they are animals.

You will have an occasional cat that will not share his toilet with another cat. If you only have a couple of cats, you can fix this with extra litterboxes. If you have 80 of them like I do, you can't provide private facilities for one cat. My Mother once had a fussy old cat who wouldn't even share with herself. If she approached the litterbox and Mom hadn't removed the waste from her last visit, she would simply poop on the floor beside the box.
I have a Persian cat who always used the box when he was new to the household and confined to a bedroom by himself.
I let him out with the rest of the family and he hasn't used the box since for the most part. Occasionally I'll see him in a litterbox, but not often. What do I do? I clean up after him. Cats are very complex creatures. I have adopted cats from shelters that were surrendered because they peed around. They don't do it at my house. I have no idea why. Wish I could crawl inside their little heads and learn what makes them do what they do.

Your house doesn't have to smell like cat pee. Mine doesn't. You do have to keep on top of it. It takes commitment. It helps if you don't have wall to wall carpeting. People who have never visited my home always expect it to stink. The most frequent comment I hear is "why doesn't your house smell like cats?" Because I use scooping litter and scoop the boxes no less than 4 times in a 24 hour period. I have cats that spray, even some spayed females. I just take a bottle of household cleaner and a paper towel and clean up after them. If a cat poops outside the box, more often than not, it's because they have some sort of irritation, colitis, diarrhea, etc. The trick in my house is finding out who's doing it so I can medicate them. I've gone poop skating in the middle of the night on more than one occasion.

Would I euthanize a cat for not using the litterbox? No I would not. But that's me. I couldn't even begin to advise someone else. That's a very personal decision. It just all depends on where your cat fits into your priority list. Mine are at the top, but I fully realize that the vast majority of people would not care to live with so many animals. I'm a bit eccentric. My husband and I tell people that the house belongs to the cats. They just let us sleep there. If they ever learn to operate the can opener, we may be in trouble.

o

catladysgarden - do you have 80 cats or is the 0 a mistake? I hate scooping 3 times a day with 3 cats. I don't use the scoopable, use Fresh Step. I like it much better and I think the scoopable tends to hold onto odor. Any event, I was just wondering if you really had 80 cats. If so, how do you go about feeding 80 at one time.

o

Yes, I really have 80. I've maintained a population between 60 and 80 for a little over 40 years now. I have the dubious distinction of having the largest legal multi cat household in the State of Colorado. I have a permit from the City and a license from the Colorado Department of Agriculture. Because there are so many people in this world who simply accumulate animals and don't take care of them, I spend $600 a year in license and permit fees before I can put a morsel of food in their mouths.

We keep several different kinds of premium dry foods in large mixing bowls, one group upstairs and one downstairs. My Vet calls it the kitty version of Country Buffet. My husband opens canned food for them twice daily. Feeding is the easy part. They don't all eat at the same time. The ones that eat dry food just eat when the spirit moves them. The guys that want wet food had better get it while the gettins good.

The litter I use is Dr Elsey's Precious Cat. It's a scoopable that comes in regular and multi cat formulas. I've never had an odor problem with that product. The regular clay litters such as Jonny Cat that are not scoopable but must be emptied and changed are the ones I've noticed odor problems with. I've been in homes where they only had a couple of cats and you could smell the litter box all over the house. They were using Tidy Cat, I think.
My experience with litter products is that the majority of the cats prefer an unscented litter with relatively small particles.

o

catlady, I am so impressed, I guess my last question would be what does it look like when 80 cats here the "crack" of the cat can when your husband opens it. Please a picture. My DD would love to have 80 cats. I just know my limits. I agree about the Tidy Cat, somebody brought a bag home from the grocery once and rather that schlepping it back, I just used it. It seemed to have much more dust than other litters?

o

We have five cats, all of the same family. The two moms are 15 years old, and the "babies" are 14.5 years old. We have been dedicated to the furry five, taking them with us to live in Japan and back. They were my wife's loving companions while I was away in the Middle East. One of the babies has never taken to the litter box, and the sole boy has been a compulsive marker now for the last 6 years or so. We have replaced carpeting and furniture in the tens of thousands of dollars, and I've tossed cherished mementos from abroad into the trash due to their collective misbehavior. They meant that much to us.

Then a year and a half ago we had our first REAL baby, and are expecting our 2nd in January. We moved into a new house 6 months ago, and the cat's indiscriminate pee, markings, and now pooping is more than we can keep up with. We love the cats too much to let the aggravation lead us to disparaging them, so I have to take the two worst offenders in for euthanasia. My wife cannot handle this long walk, and I have to be tough.

I've read enough of the entries on this forum to know this is the wisest course. We owe it to them to let them have a great day in the yard and then go to sleep with their dignity.

Thanks for all the sage advise.

o

It really isn't as dramatic as you might think. The ones that eat canned food will start wandering toward the kitchen. It's much more interesting when the refrigerator opens because that's where the good stuff is hidden. "Outside" is a magic word around here too. That means the cat run is being opened. The ones that like to go out in the run will come from all corners when you say "who wants to go outside?" The Somalis are always first in line. The real thundering herd picture comes when a loud noise or something startles them. Then you have a cat explosion.

They are a great pleasure to have around, but they are one heck of a lot of work. As clean as cats are about themselves, they sure are messy creatures. If we would fail to sweep just one day, the place would be like the Sahara desert. I never go up the stairs without picking up wads of cat hair along the way. 38 of them are Persians and they are very high maintenance cats. They keep me busy. I have a number of them that require daily medications and fluids. There's always something medical going on. I do 90% of the Vet care. If I couldn't, I would never be able to keep them.

I do have lots of pictures of the gang. I'll be glad to share them privately if it interests you.

o

sad_cat_daddy, so sorry for your situation. I am glad you are strong enough to stay with your beloved pets until they cross over. I have done it alone with 2 cats (CRF) it was hard, but life is not always easy. I will probably be in the minority of posters who will think you did the right thing, but in my opinion, you definitely did.

With my first dog, my husband, daughter and I stayed with our beloved dog until he was put to sleep. It was very sad, but very cathartic for us all to be with our pet until he was in God's hands. I was his mother from the moment I took him home from the family that bred him, so I felt it was only right that I was his mother when the tough time came. Fortunately, my husband and daughter felt this duty as well. My daughter was only 11 at the time but she is a real animal person. When we went to the vet I asked that the vet explain what was going to happen, so that my daughter would know what to expect, and that if she chose not to stay with us in the room, that was okay as well. She stayed. It was a private family matter, and we felt it was best for us to handle it that way. I received much flack from some friends who are not pet owners for allowing my daughter to participate.

Not everyone can do it. My dad's lab got very sick a few years ago diagnosed with liver cancer. I knew my dad just couldn't stay with his beloved pet while the vet sent him to his maker. It was the vet tech (dad's petsitter) and myself who stayed with Murray till the end. He had two people who loved him very much with him until the end. It was very sad, but he wasn't alone. I personally don't feel that anyone should die alone.

I am very sorry for your loss.

o

wow, "sad" cat daddy, hope you don't have trouble sleeping after you take them in to "go to sleep with their dignity"

o

put that cat down. it will control the pet population. i know some old people too that urinate outside their box, let's putum down.

o

sad_cat_daddy-I am also one of the very few here that will agree that you did the right thing for you family.Don't let comments like the one ritamay made get to you.Some people don't know how to have even a little compassion for someone who is obviously in much sadness and distress over having to put their pets down.
And sadly,I see another one of those fanatical people who think it is OK to compare animals with old people,babies and little children! Totally ridiculous and absolutely no comparison.
By the way,congratulations on your new family.Sounds like you are going to have your hands full!.......Lillie

o

catladysgarden, I am impressed with what you are doing,you obviously know the correct way to take care of your cats. I had a friend who's mother had somewhere between 20 and 30 cats. she thought she was doing a good thing by collecting all these strays, when I decided to get a couple of cats, I went to her house to pick two out, man what a mess! she did not know the meaning of clean the box out, and hair was everywhere, her husband obviously did not share the love, I watched him kick one when he walked past, I was horrified. I picked a couple out and escaped as fast as I could (you can only hold your breath so long) I felt bad that I could not take more, but with the 2 I got, one was a constant meower, and I never heard her shut up, I had a friend come over who fell in love with her (I was a bit confused but I gues she liked all the noise) so I let her take her, the other one lived with us for quite a while, but he was scared of everything, she never let those cats outside, the first time I took him out into the yard he laid on the ground frozen like a statue til I went and picked him up, took me 2 months of this before he would finally walk outside on his own, he came to me with a upper respirtory infection as well, it is very hard to get a scared spitless cat to take that little pill, but by golly I did it!
I look back on it now and I wish I would of tried to help this women find homes for her cats, the city stepped in and took all the cats (plus 2 dogs) away from her, needed to be done, but I felt horrible about the situation.

o

Micke,
Yes, animal hoarders always think they are helping the animals. There have been situations where the person is living in a place that's full of dead animals and they don't seem to be aware of it. It's a mental illness and I'm not aware of any of these people who have ever been rehabilitated. They get arrested, slapped on the hand, their animals confiscated, and 6 months later, there they are with another 100 of them.

I'm sure there are people who think I pick up every stray cat that comes down the road, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm actually pretty selective. More than half of my cats are pedigreed, but I've done my share of rescuing, mostly here in my own neighborhood. We live in a semi rural area that seems to be a good spot for people to dump their unwanted cats. People move away and leave their unaltered pets behind and pretty soon there's a feral colony if nobody does anything about it. I have 3 completely feral cats that are part of my family and 2 more that are borderline. They are very happy here with all of the other cats. They just don't want human contact and that's ok with me. One of the ferals even sleeps in the bed with us, but if you try to touch him, he's gone.

o

Lillie1441,

Since you called me out by name, I will address this to you.

You say how about showing some compassion to people who euthanize their cats......how about some compassion for the cats????
And just an FYI, I have never posted here about comparing animals to people. Or is that just your assumption?????

Rita

o

And just an FYI, I have never posted here about comparing animals to people. Or is that just your assumption?????

I think she was talking about prfrsteve92547, who based on his posts in other threads, is coming off a little trollish.

o

Sad cat daddy,
My heart goes out to you and your family. You can rest at night knowing you were a responsible pet owner. You gave your fur babies a good long life where they were loved and now you are taking responsibility in their deaths. Not many people would have taken them as far as you did.
I'm sorry some posters here don't think you did enough. I whole heartily disagree with them.

o

My cat, Spot...I had put to sleep this past Aug. 24th. He basically died of constipation. He was 15. I wasn't with him when he died...because I couldn't stand to watch him die, and believe me, I feel great guilt about it.

I had an apartment building fire in the summer of '95..this was the summer that over 900 people died in the heat in Chicago. I had 3 cats, at the time. I got myself(barely) and 2 of the cats(barely)out the night of the fire. I went back to my burned out apartment 3 days later to pick up any salvage-able stuff. I couldn't find Spot. As I was about to leave, crying, the landlady tilted up my loveseat. There, along the back rail, between the fabric and the springs...were 4 feet. Spot had gotten himself up into the couch. I went to the kitchen, got a big knife...and carefully cut him out of the back of the couch. So Spot was really special to me.

If the litter box was not immaculate...Spot would go right outside it. I put newspapers all around, and it solved the problem. When he started peeing outside that..I put more litterboxes in, wherever he was peeing. It seemed to work. I worked 8 hours a day, with a four hour commute...I have MS, and did not have the time or energy to scoop his litter box 3 times a day.

He was a very loud cat. Deaf. His volume was stuck at 11. I miss him so much it's not even funny. He made a nest in my hair every night. It really hurt, but I'd give anything to have him back.

Sadcatdad...I'm sorry for what you have to do. It's the toughest thing in the world, IMO.

We have 8 remaining indoor only cats. We used to have a total of 13. I had 7 cat pans for them...so I guess I'm lucky.

Some of my cats live only in my bedroom and den...we have screen doors on the rooms, and cat flap between the rooms.

o
RE: Putting to sleep a cat that pees outside the box !

P.S. If anyone is going to judge me on how my house smells(which it doesn't, surprisingly)...then maybe I'm going to judge them right back. Perhaps on their hairstyle, or the clothes they or their children wear. Or their make-up. Maybe on their choice of car, or the furnishings in their house. Or what they eat. What a low, low, low and shallow, disgusting way to judge people. The more people I meet...the more I like animals.

o

ritamay-I was referring to prfrsteve92547's (and a few others)constant reminders that animals deserve more consideration than humans.Sorry I didn't make it clear.
"You say how about showing some compassion to people who euthanize their cats......how about some compassion for the cats????"
It that bothers me that you would make that statement.It seems that the people here who have had to euthanize their beloved pets,for whatever reason,have not done so happily or without remorse and careful consideration.For any one of us to judge another because they did something that they believed was best for their family and the pet,on the sole basis that we don't agree with their decision is just not right in my opinion.
From what I have seen here,every one of us who have made or are contemplating that difficult decision,do so with great trepidation,compassion and sorrow.
This statement from you:
wow, "sad" cat daddy, hope you don't have trouble sleeping after you take them in to "go to sleep with their dignity"
is cruel and unfeeling and shows the same lack of "compassion" for the owner of those pets that you are saying we don't have for our pets.From sadcatdaddy's post I would think he probably has lost sleep over this.I know I have many sleepless nights thinking about the circumstances with my cat! In fact,just about every night when I lie down and smell the stench of cat pee that I can't remove from my $2,000. Sleep Number bed!:) How would you feel if someone made that statement to you after you had just had to euthanize one of your pets,for whatever reason? JMHO,but I think it was uncalled for,no matter how YOU feel about the decision.........Lillie

o

Yes, I have read a few remarks on this forum that I think were just plain mean.

My heart goes out to sadcatdaddy. It's bad enough to feel that he has no alternative than to put his beloved pets to sleep. He doesn't need me out here condemning his decision. I'm sure he has really agonized over it. Just because I wouldn't do it doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong for him.

o

lillie1441........

You said a couple of times in your last post about having to euthanize a cat "for whatever reason" I am not talking about putting a sick cat down, I thought this debate was just referring to cats that urinate. And I HAVE had to have a cat euthanized. So I do know how it feels. I'm sorry, I just will never be able to say that I think it's o.k. for someone to take a perfectly healthy animal in and have a vet put it down. Actually, I'm not sorry. I just don't understand how anyone could.

o

Ritamay-I say "for whatever reason" to get the point across to you and others who feel the same as you do,that it is just plain rude and nasty to condemn someone for having to make that decision about an obviously loved pet.You have your righ to feel however you want about the subject and the right to express your opinions on this or any other forum.However,I don't think you do have the right to say mean and hateful things to someone who just had to do that,just because it is not something you would do or something you don't believe is "right".That is what I mean.

o

looking back on some of your posts, Lillie1441, it seems you have said some "mean and hateful" things yourself.

o

Why is it wrong to condemn a pet owner, I wonder, for euthanizing an animal for what you consider an invalid reason for euthanizing the pet?

Which of the following would you condemn a pet owner for doing?

- euthanizing a pet because they were sick of owning them
- euthanizing a pet because it makes too much noise
- euthanizing a pet because it scratched their furniture

If someone came here and announced that they had euthanized their cat for any of the above reasons, what would your reaction be? I expect that a LOT of people would condemn the person. Why is it acceptable for them to condemn the owner in such a situation, I wonder, and yet in this situation, ritamay states her opinion on someone's cat euthanization for improper elimination, and she gets jumped all over. Why is one type of euthanization okay, and another is not? Why is one type of condemnation okay, and another is not?

My point: ritamay has every right to her condemnation/opinion, in MY opinion. It's not mean nor hateful of her to state that she thinks that it was wrong of sad_cat_daddy to have euthanized his cats. I've already said this once in this thread -- if you can't handle someone commenting on your personal decisions, then you shouldn't bring them up in threads like this.

I don't think you do have the right to say mean and hateful things to someone who just had to do that

We always have the right. It's just not always the nicest thing to say them. Was she a little more blunt than she needed to be? Probably. This is the debates forum. People need to get a thicker skin here, and read the message at the top of the forum.

My only thought on sad_cat_daddy (and I'm sure I sound like a broken record), but I see no mention of medication in his post. I wish he had given it a try; there may have been no need for him to kill his cats.

o

Thanks for that, Rivkadr. :)

Well said.

o

Ok,I'm going to say this and then I will shut up on this subject.
In my opinion criticism and condemnation are two different things.Criticism is telling someone they did something that was not exactly the right thing to do and having them learn from the experience.Like for instance me telling one of my grandkids they left the milk out of the fridge,so next time they will do better and remember to put it back.To condemn someone's actions is like telling them they have done something morally and ethically wrong and they should feel really bad about it for the rest of their lives! Ritamay and prfsteve's comments to sadcatdaddy sounded like condemnation to me.

Rivkdar,You asked this question.
Which of the following would you condemn a pet owner for doing?
- euthanizing a pet because they were sick of owning them
- euthanizing a pet because it makes too much noise
- euthanizing a pet because it scratched their furniture
If someone came here and announced that they had euthanized their cat for any of the above reasons, what would your reaction be?
My reaction would have likely been the same as some of the others here,but I wouldn't "condemn" them.First,because I don't know the exact circumstances that brought them to that decision and second,because They have the "right" to make that decision! I probably would have(and most likely have)voiced my own "opinion" and suggested some other alternatives,but in the end it is that person's own perogative to do whatever they see fit to do.
Sadcatdaddy did say that he had read the posts here and made the decision feeling that he had done the right thing based on some of the comments made on this board.Just because he didn't mention medication in his post doesn't mean he didnt try. But the fact of the matter is that he did what he thought was the only alternative and what was best for his family and the cats.We can't judge if that was the right or wrong thing to do simply because it might not be what we feel is right or how we believe he should have handled it.I just don't think someone should be attacked personally for doing something THEY believed was their only alternative,and downright nastiness directed to someone in sadcatdaddy's situation is uncalled for.....In my opinion! :)
Everyone have a great day...........Lillie

o

A feeble attempt to lighten this up just a tad....

Soooooooooo, what about all the men that pee outside the toilet?

Your thoughts?

o

Shoot 'em. Don't bother with humane euthanasia.

o

Make 'em clean the toilet themselves. They'll learn quickly to improve their aim...

o

If you can't solve the problem of getting your cat to use the box, what's the chances of getting your man to hit his target?

o

lillie, steve, here. when i first came on this forum, i found post way too heavy for me. I like to shake things up somewhat. i am a bit sarcastic, somewhat like beanne, just sweeter.:0 Hi, beanne.... i'm an old, old troll, like rivkadr says. that's me. take me or leave me. i'm an old man, even my wife can't stand me at times... i'm just glad i'm not that d**n cat....

o

Well steve, I'm an old lady, and even my husband can't stand me at times. So we have something in common. :-)

o

I think most people who've found this site the way I did are probably at their wits end. I searched and searched for urine stain/odor removers, articles on behavior and illness and finally typed in "urine cat sleep". That's how I found this post. Look how many people have exhausted all avenues.
I have 3 cats. 1 male and 2 twin girls. One of my girls insists on peeing outside of her litter box. She doesn't do it all the time.
She did it occasionally when we lived in IL. If I left a sorted pile of clothes on the cement floor before washing them, she would sometimes urinate on them. As long as I was careful not to leave them on the floor for more than a few minutes we had no other issues. We moved to an apt. in SC when she was 12. She was fine for awhile and then began peeing on the carpet ocassionally. I tried everything. Different litters, several different type of boxes in different areas, a littermaid box, more play, etc. It continued despite my efforts. I thought maybe she was marking the previous owners pet. She was also yowling sometimes. Just randomly. No straining or crying while urinating.
I took her to the vet. He checked her medically and decided that it was behavioral. I put her on Prozac. She hated taking the pills and avoided me at all costs whenever she became suspicious of my motives. (She has never been the most secure cat or social cat anyway.) Giving the meds was difficult for me but I did it. Giving the meds became impossible for my petsitter (whenever I traveled). I altered my job in order to medicate. The meds did help the peeing and yowling behavior..... for awhile.
Then she started peeing again regardless. The meds seemed stupid at that point so we quit. Then one day I noticed what looked like blood on the carpet where she had been peeing. I took her in immediately. They checked her, gave her an antibiotic and special food. She refused to eat the food and stopped eating. The other cats suffered from the new eating schedule as well. My poor baby would hide all the time and not eat.
Back to the vet. Yes, in fact she had the beginning signs of renal failure. When the procedures and cost were explained I knew I couldn't do it financially, nor at the cost of my other pets lives, and I have to travel sometimes for my job. I couldn't quit my job to be home with her for all the procedures.
I decided a life worth living wasn't under the bed, licking her hair off, being afraid of human contact and starving. We went back to her favorite food. I bought a new house (paid to have carpet replaced in the apartment). We moved, all was fine for a bit and guess what... she is peeing again. Other than urination she seems relatively well. However, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I clean their 4 litterboxes EVERY day and when I'm not here I have a sitter who cleans them EVERY day. I have tried everything that I am capable of trying. Now my house reeeeeks of urine! I'm praying the other cats don't follow her lead (so far so good), but I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! At what point is it OK to put down a cat? She is 14 years old now. We've tried the anti-psychotic drugs (to little avail, it doesn't work for EVERY cat). Should I try and force feed her food she doesn't want, make the rest of the furry children suffer for her behavior? Am I suppose to quarantine her? Now there's a life! "Stay in a small uncarpeted room by yourself all the time." Live in a house where I'm embarrassed to let anyone visit? Suffer myself with the constant stench and constant cleaning? Go so far into debt that we're all eating catfood? Where do we draw the line?
I love my cats and I am a good pet owner. (Her sister was hyperthyroid and I spent a ton of money having her radiated in Chicago. She's doing great!) It's not that I don't care or don't love all of my cats and I'm not trying to throw her away but I'm at my wits end. It breaks my heart to think about putting her down. BUT!!!! UGH! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

o

If you've read this whole thread, you know you will be jumped all over by some posters.
My opinion is you should schedule an appointment to have her euthanized. She's not happy, she does not feel well and she's only going to get worse. She is by no means a young kitty. Put her to sleep for her sake. You've given her a good long life. It's time to say good-bye.

o

Well, you won't be jumped on by me. Yes, I am one of the ones who thinks that all efforts need to be tried before taking the major step of euthanizing an animal, including medication. You've given it your best shot, in my opinion. The cat is clearly in poor health, the behavioral meds aren't working for her, and you need to think of your other cats as well. You're probably not looking for vindication from me (I don't even know you), but I think you'd be doing the best thing possible for her at this point to put her down.

o

Even though you tell your story, none of us can truly understand your feelings, as we aren't you, aren't there, and aren't dealing with your exact situation. Therefore, I won't give my opinion since it is a very personal decision to make. I just really feel for you and your kitty. Sorry things are so rough. :(

o

Yes, this is a situation when the cat should be allowed to rest peacefully. She is in renal failure...I am surprised she has lived two years since that diagnosis (did I read that wrong?).

o

Well, I am not a vet, but I don't think that because a cat has renal failure, that it makes it more likely to pee outside of the litter box.
Also, Webkat5, Cats can live a happy long life after diagnosis of renal failure!!! I have 2. Jazz is 5 years out from being diagnosed, and is doing great. Rex is about 3 years out, is also hyperthyroid, and is doing fine as well. It's not the automatic death sentence that it once was.

Rita

o

canttakeit-I can relate to everything you are going through and I say do what is best for the cat,and you.I have been through some of the same things you mention with the feeding and administering medications and am still trying to save my cat from either euthanization or living in someone's barn.In my situation I believe euthanization would be the least cruel decision because of her temperment and other issues.I haven't given up yet and just had her spayed hoping if this is a territorial problem that may fix it.Hopefully it will but if not the other option is still open.I don't enjoy living in a home that smells of cat pee and I'm sure nobody else enjoys it when they visit.
Sometimes we reach a point where we have no other choices or to the point where we ourselves are just downright TIRED! Beeanne is right.Do what has to be done and don't beat yourself up about it.This is something you must decide for yourself.Don't let others put a guilt trip on you for doing what you feel is the best for the cat and you.

o

Lillie 1441- You just now had your peeing cat spayed?

o

Uhhhh........yessss.As I mentioned before this cat has NEVER been outside and I never saw a reason to have her spayed.She is never going to be outside as long as I have her.Why do you ask that as though you are shocked? This cat is 3 years old and only started the peeing within the last few months.I have no reason to think her not being spayed had anything to do with the behavior nor did the vet,since there have been no other animals,cats or other upsets in my household.The only reason I even had her spayed now is because of the fact that she was in heat all the time,at least it seemed like it.I asked the vet if this might stop the peeing.He said it's always a possibility but he wouldn't say for sure since the peeing didn't seem to him to be territorial,but behavioral.

o

okay I am a optimist. wouldn't it be great if the spaying worked? here's hoping:)

o

Well Micke,we probably won't know for sure if the spaying has anything to do with it,because as I mentioned earlier she hasn't done any peeing(at least that I know of)in about 2 weeks.Hopefully whatever her problem was she has gotten over it. Maybe she heard me and DH discussing her fate if she continued being a naughty girl and decided she might should stop?? I'm convinced she knows exactly what we are talking about! LOL

o

oh I think you would know it if she had been, your peedar is probuably on high alert right now:) animals DO act like they know what you are talking about.
I had a male cat that was neutered, and by golly the little fart was going behind my fridge (had it diaginal in the dining room) and peeing, I could smell something but just couldn't figure out where it was coming from, he ruined that corner of carpeting. I went 4 years trying to clean it and finally just had to pull it up.
I told that cat "one more time buster and you are going to be my outdoor farm kitty" he hated it outside, and I swear he never did it again. Might of been because I moved the fridge back into the kitchen, but I prefer to think that he knew what I was saying, lol!!!

o

I know dogs in heat will pee everywhere to leave their scent for male dogs. I guess I'm shocked because of that and I can't imagine living with a cat in heat. I would have had her to the vet after the first heat to keep from pulling my hair out every couple months.Yes, cats heat cycles will come closer and closer together if they are not spayed. Congratulations on the spay. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

o

Beeanne-She didn't act like most cats in heat. She is not a very "vocal" cat anyway so she never expressed her need for a male in that way. If that had been the case I probably would have had it done long ago. I know their heat cycles can become closer and closer if they aren't spayed and her's were getting to be at least monthly. It was just annoying,and sometimes embarrassing when she was backing up to everything and everyone ready for a roll in the hay! LOL That was the main reason for the spaying. I watched her closely during the heat cycles thinking she might be spraying but never saw,or smelled any evidence of that. That is why I have been so perplexed about the sudden peeing behavior. And as I have mentioned before it wasn't just spraying that she was doing. It was outright squatting and peeing a puddle! If it had just been spraying I wouldn't have been so upset with her. I had her done last Thursday and so far she has done really well. No peeing anywhere other than the box so far,which could have been expected since she just had major surgery,but she hasn't been too far from the box for the last few days either. She is just now beginning to get back to her normal self so I guess time will tell.
Micke-I Deffinitely think they know,or at least sense, what we are talking about!LOL

Lillie

o

Well! Lots of people who've had this problem, and lots of opinions about it. Thought I'd weigh in with a few stories of my own. I had two female (spayed) cats who began peeing (actually spraying) outside the box not long after I moved to a particular home. In retrospect, I can only imagine that it had happened before at this house, or there was a neighborhood cat antagonizing them from the patio slider. We'd lived in a few homes before with NO problems. Anyway, this was when they were probably in the 1-3 y.o. age, and they continued this problem for 7 years in that home. I dealt with it as best I could using medication, locking them in bathroom with litterbox while at work, plastic tacked to carpet and up sides of walls - you name it. I was a young single mom with a child from age 3-10 by the time we moved. Well - I loved those cats and knew no one else would adopt them if I let them go, and couldn't bear to euthanize them. Okay, got married, and moved again, and problem basically stopped. Moved again, and problem started up again. Very mysterious how one house or another will affect cats. End of story, I loved those cats with all my heart, put up with what I couldn't fix, and tried to mitigate damage as much as possible. Drove my new husband crazy by the way. I was heartbroken and relieved all at once when they died, both just under 18 years old, a year apart.
Now, I have a 9 y.o. male cat I adopted the year the last one died. He wouldn't THINK of peeing outside his box! I don't know what I'd do if I had to put up with that again, but once again, I absolutely love this cat and the thought of euthanizing him would tear me up. He has another problem though - before I was aware of the damage declawing could do, I had him declawed. My husband made a habit of playing very roughly with him and turned him into a biter. I've actually thought of having him defanged (cat, not husband) (NO I'M NOT GOING TO DO IT SO DON'T EVEN POST ABOUT IT!) as he's sent me to the hospital once for intravenous antibiotics, and the doc's twice after that for orals. I've laid down the law with the husband, but cat still has to be watched - if that head swivels around I'm always wary.
Okay, have two clients with similar peeing problems. One after another cat was adopted. After a few years, and childen being born, that cat was euthanized. Another client adopted two kittens with an older cat and same problem. Currently trying to deal with it and decide what to do.
Litterboxes seem to be the biggest issue with have with our cats!

o

I had a cat we loved dearly that did pee on everything we owned! I will never forget company coming and Sidney peed in the ladies purse! I wanted to crawl in a hole.
Yes, we went to the VET, OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER! The carpet cleaning company got rich for 2 years. We had plastic on the beds. The house smelled so bad I stayed sick. My Grandchildren stopped coming due to the smell.
Who could blame them? DO NOT cast stones unless you have lived this nightmare.
The Vet of course did everything he could. We tried every medication out there. We tried keeping him in just one room, we had 6 LITTER boxes throughout the house, ALL cleaned each day! He was on special food, NO other pets in the house.
Someone said they couldn't put a cat to sleep just because it peed in the house. Well honey, Trust me you will change your mind living in that pee filled home for 2 years! You have spent OVER 4,000 in Vet Bills and medications in 2 years time. Your family and friends STOP coming over because your house smells like a sewer! You have done all you can do and at some point it has to stop! We gave it all we had till we had nothing left.
I will NEVER again own an inside cat as much as I love them because this sort of thing happens far to often with cats and I can not go through it again.
Yes, we had Sidney put to sleep because it was unfair to lie and let someone else adopt him to end up like us. The VET said we had no other choice. I agree!

o

I don't know who you were calling out specifically, but I am "one of those" who would not put any of my cats down for that reason, so I will address this to you... "Honey", that was your decision to make, for me, I could not live with myself. By the way... where have you been, this post goes back to October, with 100 responses to it. Nobody is going to change anyone's mind. IT'S A DEAD POST.

Rita

o

Starsrus, I am sorry that you had to put your cat down. I am sure it was a hard decision, but it was the right decision for you.

I think that someone who says they will "never" do xyz, just has been lucky enough that they haven't been in the position to have to make that type of decision.

I think there is a huge variation in the cat peeing problem. Some cats only occaisionally pee outside the box or they pee in one spot. Those situations are easier to deal with than the cats who go all over the place maybe even both number one and number two. They are not picky about the spot and they may go anywhere, all the time. It can become a health issue for the people too.

o

We currently have three kittens (abandoned at our farm after birth in May) and love them all so much. We had them neutered this summer and they are strictly outdoor cats. I occasionally let them in the guest house when I am in there and they have never relieved themselves indoors. IT WOULD ONLY TAKE ONE TIME and they would never ever be allowed indoors again!

I have lived with both indoor and outdoor cats in my life and from my experience I don't believe cats are really "in their element" as indoor animals. Boredom leads to stress and acting out ---- ruining everything you own. Ours are kept sheltered in winter, always fed and are great mousers.

o

"I don't believe cats are really "in their element" as indoor animals".

That is a common problem philosophy cat owners. Unfortunately it is dead wrong and is another debate entirely.

Once an animal is domesticated it is no longer in their element. As when we think we are doing something nice for the domesticated animal by putting in its wild element, we are only exposing them to unnecessary harm and very dangerous living conditons.

There is a whole entire thread that addresses the indoor/outdoor cat debate.

o

"By the way... where have you been, this post goes back to October, with 100 responses to it."
Ritamay-I don't understand why you always have to be so rude! What difference does it make if this thread was started back in October? Maybe this person only just found this board? Lighten up!!

o

Lillie 1441, I was wondering if you would respond. I only meant that if starsrus had read all the posts, they would see that this has gone on long enough. Have I or anyone else changed your mind on the subject??? No. Have you changed my mind??? NO.
Also, if you re read starsrus' post, they were pretty rude themselves. When they said "someone" posted here about not putting their cat down...etc.... I assume that, along with others, that was I was being called out, and I don't appreciate being called "Honey".
Now can we please be done. I know that I can't keep people from putting their cats down for whatever reason they feel is appropriate, just like I can't save all the animals from being horribly abused in this world. But in that same breath, noone can tell me that it is something that I may do someday, because, it is simply not.
I'm done.

Have a nice day.
Rita

o

ritamay - What was rude about the starsrus post? Was it that it didn't fall in line with your beliefs? If the post was rude, was it made better by your rude response?

I believe if you read the forum rules, it states that you should search a topic before posting a question. Am I wrong? I have seen plenty of posts resurrected with no negative follow ups. So what, there was nothing posted since October?

And what is this "calling me out". What exactly does that mean and why are you so defensive? What was in the starsrus post that you think was directed at you? I've read and re-read it, I don't see your name anywhere. The references in the post could apply to any of you who wouldn't put a cat down EVER.

You have a nice day too.

o

starsrus stated that there was "someone" that said they would never put there cat down for peeing....etc. I stated in my post that I, along with others did say that, so that is why I responded. Notice, I said "as well as others", I know starsrus did not call me out by name.
What I felt was kind of rude in starsrus post is the word "honey" and they way it came off. Aren't you kind of offended when someone calls you honey in that content?? I know I am. Sorry. I guess that is why you said I am rude and defensive.
Can I ask, what has the purpose of this post become???

o

Ritamay-I'm just curious as to why you were hoping I would respond to this?

o

I thought this thead opened up after posts were deleted though it still showed 150.

o

I have a cat that I think of as my first child. I love him and trying to decide what to do about his peeing on things has been agonizing.
This is to the person that made the comment about not having a right to have a pet if you are going to put it to sleep.
First and foremost, I LOVE MY HOBBES! He is a part of our family and everyone in the house will be changed by this decision.
He pees all over everything. My husband, three small children, and I have lived with this for well over a year. We have resorted to putting double gates up all over the place so that he can't jump over them. I don't know what my other options are. My mother suggested keeping him in a cage, but what kind of life is that? I have tried everything that the vet has reccommended to no avail. I yell at my children when they leave clothes on thier floors and he pees on them. This is causing conflict in my house. My husband has had it, but doesn't push the issue, because he knows how much I love my cat and the thought of his death is extremely painful.
Until you know what it is like to have a cat pee on your clothes, your beds, your rugs, absolutely everything in your house then you have no room to speak.
This has been horrible, everytime I look at him I feel guilt, but I am also starting to feel resentful and after all of the wonderful years with him I don't want my last memories of him to be of my being angry with him.
My cat has lived a very full and pampered life. My decision has been very hard, but I know it is the right one. The right decision for everyone, including him, because why would I want him to live the rest of his life in distress?

o

Skp31 - I am sooo soory about your situation. I have never been in your position, but since this post began I have done some research on how treat the issue. There have been a couple other threads on this forum about the issue too. You might want to read them, because amongst all the debating and arguing there tends to be some ideas!

The other posts are:

euthanasia vs dumping a pet by roadside
new post for cat peeing and being put down
my thought...

I personally contacted a handful of Cat Santuraries to see how they deal with the issue. For the record, a Sancturary is not a Rescue. A Sancturary provides unwanted/unadoptable cats with a forever home at their facility, whereas rescues have the sole intention of readopting the animals.

You didn't mention how old Hobbes is. Of course, age would always be one of the determining factors when making this difficult decision. Also, you didn't mention if Hobbes is in pain or seems upset. Basically, has his quality of life diminished?

The following I write assuming that he has a handful of good years left in him and that the quality of his life has not diminished.

First and foremost (if you havent't) get a second and third opinion. You never know...

I have also been told that these Sancturaries use Premie Diapers combined with bathing the cat daily. You could also see if there is a Sancturary near you that would be willing to take him, perhaps where you could visit?

I would also talk to rescues. I know a couple who adopted a cat that has a handful of issues, one being it can not control its bladder. They adopted it knowing this! From a rescue who took in the cat knowing of its problems and making others aware. This couple has removed the carpet from their home and acid stained/sealed their concrete. All they do now is confine the cat to areas with non upholostered furniture. So there are rescues out there who take these issues and people who are willing to adopt!

What I would probably do (which is defenitely not an option for everyone) is build a fenced enclosure in my yard. I would place an XL dog house (one of the insulated ones with a real shingle roof) in the enclosure and either use infrared heat lamps or a space heater (one that stays cool to the touch) in the house. (I do this for my Sulcata Tortoise through the winter) I tend to go all out for my pets so I would probably build a little covered porch and build one end of the enclosure high with different levels for him to climb.

Again, I am so sorry about your situation. Take Care.

o

You sound like you have thought this through.

"My cat has lived a very full and pampered life. My decision has been very hard, but I know it is the right one. The right decision for everyone, including him, because why would I want him to live the rest of his life in distress?"

I agree, let him go, and be thankful for the time you had.

o

skp31 - your words bring tears to my eyes. I can only imagine how hard it would be. But, be thankful for the time you had together. The adams, I like your ideas - although having a cat that has chewed off a pain patch in a matter of hours I can only imagine what he would do with diapers :)

o

This is a response to an earlier question.
Hobbes is 12 years old. He has survived liver problems that made him lose half of his body weight and to this day I think that he didn't give up, because I begged him not to. Also, I cannot thank my vet enough for helping us through a very trying time.
In November of 2005 we had to put to sleep our other cat, Calvin due to kidney failure. He was the best friend that Hobbes had and when he died I think that Hobbes did a little too. He just isn't the same and his behavior reflects that.
Putting Calvin to sleep was so hard, but he was in pain and I couldn't allow that to continue. Just because Hobbes may not be in physical pain I know that he is in pain none the less. He misses his brother. I cannot give him medication due to the fact that he has had liver problems in the past. I will not send him away, he wouldn't understand and would probably feel abandoned.
To the people that belive that someone who would consider putting their pet to sleep over something like this or that we shouldn't be allowed to have pets...I wish you could be in my brain. I wish that you could feel the absolute anguish that I feel over this. I love my cat and I feel that I have let him down and I feel so much guilt that you will never understand. I am the one who after 12 years has to look into his eyes knowing that he is going to die...not you.

o

My opinion is that after a while when dealing with an animal with health issues you have to make that terribly hard decision to put an animal down...it's just part of the fact any time you take on an animal...seldom do we ever get so lucky as to have an animal pass away peacefully in his sleep. What other alternative does one have with a cat that has become incontinent and/or no longer can use the litter box. Noone should EVER live in a urine filled home, that is not an option...that's unhealthy(unsanitary)! So what else do you do, keep the animal in a cage? Is that an option? The cat I have would scream his head off if he was in a cage! I would never live in filth! If you are so lucky to live in the country you could let them outside but for me that would not be an option as I live in an apartment. Sometimes we just have to do WHAT WE HAVE TO DO and to use common sense!

o

Skp31 - I really do feel for your situation. It sounds like your cat has lived a long life and is now falling ill. That combined with his broken heart does not spell happiness. Recently one of my ferrets (Ralph) passed away, it is actually very common for the other to fall into a deep depression and possibly die. Charlie was the one left behind and I can honestly say he hasn't been the same since. As for your Hobbes, personally I am opposed to euthanizing a young, otherwise healthy cat for inappropriate peeing.

Arkansas_Girl - There are actually many options :-)! Some of which I mentioned above. I used to live in a Apt. & I can understand where it would seem to you there are no options other then euthanize or release outside. Those of us with homes have the option of designating a "cat" room, equiped with waxed/sealed hard flooring (i.e. concrete) or building an outdoor enclosure, just to name a couple.

As far as those in a Apt., if your cat is otherwise healthy and young, you have the option of contacting Cat Sancturaries. These are not rescues, rather establishments that take in unadoptable pets and provide them with a forever home. If the cat is young there is a good chance it will adapt to its new home.

o

I've learned over the years from past experience. I hope others will learn also. I once brought a cat to the shelter because I couldn't get him to stop spraying my neighbor's things, i.e., went in his house and car and sprayed both. Back then I didn't realize that there are ways of keeping a cat on your own property and not having them in your house. It's called an enclosure. After one of my cats was hit by a car I made up my mind no more cats would be allowed to roam in the street so I invested the money and time and built an enclosure. When that was not good enough I invested more money to cat proof my entire yard so no cats could exit or enter. I know I'm the exception and not everyone is going to spend a few hundred dollars to save their animal's lives. However, my experience and conscious has taught me, they are my responsibility just like a kid would be and it's my job to do everything in my power to find a solution for their well being. I have several cats I took from others who were going to put the animals to sleep because of imporper elimination or other bad behavior problems. When people aquire a cat they must realize that all cats are individuals and none of them come with a "good behavior" garauntee and pet owners need to be ready to do whatever it takes should their "sweet cat" turn into the pisser from hell!!

o

Yet another story for this thread...My beloved calico (15 yrs. old), on insulin shots twice a day for 2 years (lost 5 lbs.,temporary paralysis...bounced back) now has been peeing outside of her box for two months. I shampoo the carpet once a week, put down matting, had her checked for infection (none), clean the litter pan THREE TIMES A DAY, installed a phermone diffuser, have her on prescription food,made a special extra large litter pan that she can walk straight into without stepping over the side, and now she has started waking us up twice a night with some very mournful yowling. I just spent a fortune trying to save my Aussie before Christmas (lost..kidney failure). I am non-stop bawling at the prospect of losing another furry friend but I am at my wits end. My vet said she would not condemn me for choosing euthanasia...plus kitty may just be starting with hyperthyroidism. I really just need someone to tell me I have done enough...I've checked rescues, shelters, friends,...she will not find a home. She's my baby, but I she is in all likelihood headed down an awful slope soon. As I've said...not to sound immature, but is there much I have missed before making this awful choice? I just don't see any real options.

o

Sorry about your cat Allie.

It is hard when our buddies, get old and sick. No one can really tell you what to do, you have to do what is right for you.

o

When you make the choice to get an animal, you are morally responsible to see it through, even when things go wrong, and if it is necessary, this means finding a more appropriate living situation for the animal. Far too many people get pets on impulse, and then see them as little more than trash to be disposed of when things become inconvenient. People need to think ALL of the possibilities through, they need to consider all of the things that could go wrong, before making the choice to have a pet. If those things are not something you can deal with or live with, or if you can't be bothered finding another place for the pet to live, then don't get the animal in the first place.

I am involved in animal rescue and find homes for unwanted "problem" pets every week. It can be done if you really look hard enough for a place for them, instead of taking the easy way out. The ONLY time to have an animal put down is if they are in pain and beyond medical help - and even then it is the most painful thing I have ever done.. I honestly do not know how someone could live with doing it for any other reason, unless you have something missing in your heart. To each his own, but please do animals everywhere a favor and remain petless.

o

Innes-Allie said her cat is 15 years old,hardly a pet that was acquired on impulse and seen as "trash" when things go wrong! Her much loved cat is ill and is a source of distress for her and her family and she has obviously gone way out of her way to make the cat comfortable and deal with the problem.Lighten up!!!
Your last paragraph is YOUR opinion! I looked for a rescue for my cat for months and have yet to find one.Just because YOU are involved in animal rescue doesn't mean there are groups everywhere.Everything is not always black and white.

Allie-I too am sorry about your cat and the decision you have to make.Just do what you feel is the right thing to do and don't let ANYONE make you feel guilty.You are the only one who can make the decision and you shouldn't be made to feel guilty about something that is so distressing for you.

o

I had an 8-year old kid who continually wet her bed, despite all kinds of drugs and therapy. She destroyed 3 mattresses and left a lot of stinky pajamas, sheets, and blankets. It cost me thousands of dollars. I could not afford to deal with her problem, so I put a gun to her head, and killed her.

I'm kidding, of course.

NO, it is NEVER acceptable to "put down" (i.e. murder) a healthy pet because she is peeing on your carpet. NO, NOT EVER! When you accepted a cat into your home, you accepted a LIFELONG responsibility to your feline friend. No matter how old and sick, no matter how much of a pain in the neck, no matter how messy or inconvenient, this cat is YOUR cat and YOUR responsibility - now and forever. Mere peeing is NOT usually a "health problem". It's probably a stress-related behavior issue.

She is a member of your family. Do we kill elderly family members because they wet the bed? Do we shoot children because they make messes?

Anyone who says they've tried "everything" to stop a cat from peeing, and has not succeeded, has not tried "everything". Period.

First, have your vet evaluate the cat for a urinary tract infection - The rescue group I work for sees more cats end up in shelters and dead for lack of simple antibiotics - it isn't even funny! If tests are negative, make sure the cat is eating a proper high-protein low-carb diet. No cheap dry food. Make sure she is not unduly stressed.

Get BIG litter boxes. Great big UNCOVERED ones filled with firm, clumping, UNSCENTED litter. Dr. Elsey's is my personal favorite. Keep them CLEAN. Clean them daily. One box per cat, plus one, if possible.

If that doesn't work, let's try Feliway spray or diffusers. Sold under the "Comfort Zone" brand. Clean up the piss. I mean REALLY clean it up and destroy the odor totally with enzymatic cleaners. Then, SPRAY those spots with Feliway. Not a quick spritz. SOAK it. Plug in those diffusers. Cheap? Not at Petsmart, so try Valley Vet Supply.

If that doesn't work, we'll get into behavior modification and maybe even drugs. Valium, Prozac, etc... We'll talk about giving your stressed out multi-cat household cats more vertical space with cat trees or shelves.

Is your cat spraying because she can see/hear/smell feral cats outside her favorite window? Block it with construction paper. Reduce her stress.

We can SOLVE this problem. There is NEVER a need to murder your cat because she's peeing outside the box. PERIOD.

-Kiff LaBar-Shelton
Vice-President
New Mexico Animal Friends

Cat rescuer/trapper/feral tamer "extraordinaire"

o

Kiff, though I agree with you 100%, most people just would not go through the extra "trouble" to solve this problem. Shelters are full of cats with these issues, as are the streets because some people don't want to pay the "dumping" fee that shelters require. The attitude today is that animals are expendable, throw one out, you can always get another...considering all the irresponsible breeders out there, it is easy to find kittens and puppies.

There ARE some true animal lovers who are looking for any solution they can find, and for them I ask permission to copy your post and pass it on when someone is desperate for advice.

Thanks for posting - you are 100% right, if we are willing to truly commit ourselves to our pets, there is always something that can be done!

o

The question is - Would you put your human child to sleep (if it were legal) if he continued to pee his bed?? Or would you spend the time and money required to solve the problem?? Or would you simply claim
"I don't feel the need to justify my actions to anyone. I am an adult and I don't need anyone's approval to do as I see fit with my children...if it comes to the point that the child needs Prozac, is that unhappy that it pees all over my house, I think it is the humane thing to do to euthanize it...if the child has a bug up its butt and is peeing (the bed) to get my attention, I am going to euthanize it."

Think about it for a moment and realize that we are all living creatures with needs, emotions, fears. We are responsible for a pet when we decide to adopt them and they deserve to be treated as family.

o

I realize a lot of posts on here are several years old, but I have to chime in. We had a cat that ruined the carpet in our old condo. We thought it was behavioral, and at times it may have been but it turned out there was a medical problem, not urinary tract related, but since he was, at that time asymptomatic, I believe he smartly did this to show us something was wrong. Vets can miss problems. Once he was regulated, the only time he peed outside the box was when his thyroid meds needed to be adjusted, a fact we wouldn't have known by his thyroid symptoms until the condition had far worsened.

As far as "never getting the smell out," if you stay on top of it, it's not a big deal. A Bissell Spot Bot can do wonders. If you soak the area with vinegar or an enzymatic product, let it sit, then re-wet the area, soak it up, then shampoo as normal, it will work. It may take a couple times, but it works. People who walk into our home never know we have cats, at least not from the smell.

Our vet told us today that peeing or spraying outside the box in male cats is about 95% treatable with progesterone treatment. He only mentioned it because of a side effect of the drug, increase of affection in the affected cat, because our new addition cat is having difficulty warming up. He has no litter box issues whatsoever, and I personally am on medroxyprogesterone, so I looked this up to see what the dosage was for a cat. He didn't tell me anything about how it works for female cats since I don't have one, and we weren't talking about the peeing issue anyway.

Having had many cats over the years, all of whom except one who have lived to at least 18 1/2 years, you will always have occasional accidents. I would NEVER consider putting a cat down because of litterbox incidents. In the event it was behavior-related only, and I absoutely couldn't take it, I would find a shelter that accepts special-needs cats. They are everywhere and if you tell one you are going to kill the cat unless one takes it, they will. Bringing a cat or any animal is a lifetime commitment, and with cats, that life expectancy for a well cared for cat goes into the high-teens, which is the equivalent of over 100 years in humans.

For those of you saying you can't clean up after a cat because you're disabled, have children, don't have the money, you probably shouldn't own a cat. When our cat was ill, I cleaned up urine, while 9 months pregnant and technically on "bed-rest" and while on a walker due to severe back injury. I still can't function without daily meds for my back, yet it takes very little effort to set the Spot Bot on the area, push a button and walk away. And I do this with a toddler running around the house, limited income and excruciating pain when I bend to scoop the litter box.

Finally, one thing that immediately cured our late kitty of his habit (once the medical issue had been addressed) was using a Tidy Cat Breeze box. It has grates, the urine runs over pellets and onto pads, much like puppy training pads in the below tray. This is also a must-have if you suspect a UTI as you can leave the pad out, get a fairly clean sample (may have slight residue from the pellets but it doesn't affect a urine test) and just dump the sample into a bottle. Much less traumatic on the cat than having the vet force a sample.

There are ALWAYS alternatives to euthanasia, at least for this type of issue. If you're unwilling to accept the responsibility for this family member you committed to care for and love, then do the humane thing and contact a no-kill shelter. They are equipped with hose-down floors and are skilled in behavior modification techniques. If you euthanize for inappropriate litterbox behavior alone, you are heartless, cruel and don't belong a pet owner.

o

I just let my cat outside. It was 0 degrees and I let mother nature take care of the problem.

o

I have a similar issue going on and I've been dealing with it for well over a year (so I've been very patient). My cat is 14 and doesn't like the fact that we've had children the past 4 years. He doesn't like my husband. He pees on everything in every room - pillows on the bed, poops in the bed, pees on folded laundry, my children's stuffed animals - you name it, he's done it. The last straw is when he sprayed my 2 yr. old's head while he was sleeping. I've paid lots of money to ensure it's not a medical condition, added litterboxes, cleaned them regularly, tried different litters, and he's on prozac. And yes, the vet says it's behavioral. So he's obviously just miserable and unhappy in his current situation. And I need to make a big decision in the next couple of days. Trust me. I've tried everything. I feel that once a person has a pet, they've committed themselves to that pet for it's entire lifespan. But it's unsanitary to have urine smell and urine on my child's head. Another thing, my cat was born with a disability - cerebellar hyperplasia and has lived a long life. I would give him to a no-kill shelter, but don't think that's the right solution. We boarded him once when we traveled and he needed an IV and medication just to get him to eat - it was a horrible experience for him, so a shelter situation will definitely not work for him. His personality is too fragile for that. I do think euthanasia is the right way to go in my situation. Thoughts?

o

I was in real estate for many years and know that a house that smells of cat urine is vastly decreased in value. How much do you really love that cat if when you decide to sell you realize it cost you $30,000? Huh?

It is a personal choice, but I will never have a cat or dog in my house that doesn't follow my rules. We have 7 cats and live on a farm. We occasionally let them in our main house and always let them stay inside our guest house when it is frigid outdoors. There is a litter box in the garage over there and if they ever decided to pee upstairs, they would be full-time outdoor cats! If I couldn't figure out who did it, I guess they would all suffer.

o

I have never put a cat to sleep for peeing outside the litter box. But I do currently have an older cat that has some issues. My friend helped me rescue the cat from someone who was keeping it outside, couldn't afford to take care of it, and who was away from home 12 hours a day.

The cat (female) is declawed in the front, and when my friend and I saw it outside, it was walking very oddly. We took it to the vet and had her checked out. Apparently, she had gotten hurt twice in the hip area, and had gotten backed up. The vet told us that she may have died from being backed up, had we not brought her in. I found out who had been taking care of the cat, and they didn't have any paperwork, or anything on her, and reiterated that the cat was 14 - 16 years old. They agreed I could keep the cat, and I have. There were some peeing issues, whether on bedding, a sofa, newspapers, laundry, and even some bags. Our solutions were this: remove piles of stuff from the floor; keep newspapers away from where she can reach them (previous owner put newspapers out, since the cat was peeing outside the box), and keep a litter box outside the bedroom near her food and water. And we haven't had any major problems since. Again, the cat is older, and I believe that her peeing issues had to do with keeping a clean litter box, being backed up, being older, and being used to going wherever she wanted outside. Also, with her hips being damaged that may be putting pressure on her bladder and/or kidneys.

So before putting the cat to sleep, try a few different things. There may be issues you don't know about. One suggestion, just in case: Get Wee Cleaner or something like it to take care of any peeing on fabrics or rugs. It worked for my clothes and my parents sheets.

o

I appreciate the time and thought put into the posts in this and related threads. I'm responding to this one since it has the most recent follow-up.

We've been dealing with our male cat, now 16, peeing on furniture and throw rugs for well over five years now. Medical issues were ruled out multiple times, and I can say "been there, done that" regarding just about everything I've read here. We've done multiple boxes and litters, Feliway, drugs up to and including Prozac (both pill and liquid). I've used at least a half-dozen different enzymatic cleaners and paid a lot of money for professional cleanings.

Two things have come to a head this week: 1) Our new sofa is arriving; 2) He's hit some new places this week, including our bed (where he sleeps most nights!!) and another living room chair. I'm taking him in to the vet tonight and tomorrow he'll get full blood and urine workups to once again see if there is anything amiss. I'm hoping really hard that there IS something physically wrong so we can just fix this and enjoy his company again.

But if the work comes back negative, we have a decision to make. If he's going to live here, he'd have to be caged. After having the run of the house for 16 years, I don't think that will be much of a life for him. Going outside isn't an option - I don't think he'd have much of a chance against the coyotes and foxes.

If someone is going to judge me as not willing to go the extra mile for my pets, I'll put my experience against any else. I can give cats sub-Q fluids. I can give insulin shots. I've woken up every two hours at night to draw blood from our diabetic cat's ears to test the BG level and ensure he wasn't going hypoglycemic. Sometimes I think I should just go complete vet tech training.

Again, I hope the little fellow has a medically treatable condition, but I'm preparing myself in case he doesn't.

o

some of you people are heartless and stupid.a good hearted person cares for all not just other humans.putting down a cat for peeing?no matter how you try and put it to make yourselves feel better anyone that does that is a self centered cold hearted person.with just a little effort you could find a no kill shelter,a farm,try some other remedies,ask around to see if anyone would be willing to take it.humans like to believe all animals are below us but thats arrogance and ignorance.sad all these animals have to deal with,very sad.someday humans hopefully will open their eyes and be more aware.

o

I am disgusted with some of these responses. Especially about the sister throwing a cat outside and the family giving the cat back to the shelter. I volunteered at a shelter and people always have the excuse of having a baby...I have a 14 year old cat and he has started peeing on the floor. Its because of kidney failure, which is common in old cats. We have had him our whole lives and would never dream of putting him to sleep because of this or giving him away. We have started putting him in the porch and are going to make a pen with a litterbox, food, and water. Once he has done his business, he can come out with supervision. It does take a lot of work, but we love him and are prepared to deal with it. I adopted another senior cat from the shelter who constantly poops on the floor, so he will have a pen too. They are both fine if they are around the house with supervision, but if they get out of our sight, they have to go back in their room incase they need to go.

o

I am almost to the point of giving up. I love Ziggy, but he pees on the 2 guest beds. He has ruined about $700.00 worth of bed spreads that the smell will not come out of. I spent $100.00 on Comfort Zone. The next day he pooped on the bed, then 2 days later peed on the bed. I have a very clean home; I put plastic liners on the beds so the mattresses won't be ruined, but the sheets etc. are history. Ziggy was traumatized I think when my son moved in for a year with his bully cat. Ziggy was young and it just happens that my son and his cat slept in the room Ziggy pees in. They have been gone for 3 years now! I may need to get a totally different mattress as he must still smell the other cat. I have a Persian who could care less. She is so laid back! :) I may try some tranquilizers if that is an option, but after that...may be bye bye kitty. It will be a horrible day because I love him and he loves me, but heis just too high strung. He is declawed, so outdoors is not an option. I really hate it. It scares me when I have company. I have washed and cleaned the beds so well, but afraid they smell something I don't. PLUS, Ziggy gets jealous and may pee on their bed, so I have t keep the guest room doors closed. This is crazy.

o

I see this thread is been going on forever. It's not like anyone said " hey Honey the cat peed outside the box. Get the gun" Most people have tried every thing and it isn't helping. I know I would not let a house be ruined by a cat. I'm sorry but there is a limit to everything. If the cat is put down humanly there is nothing wrong with that. It isn't happy anyways and lets face it it WILL die too one day.

o

I join the club here of having not one but TWO male, neutered cats spraying. One is worse than the other. They are 7 year old litter mates - full brothers. Skyler started spraying FIVE years ago. Sylver in the past year.

Like many, I have tried EVERYTHING, including every med on the market. I will not use Depo Provera because of the possible very serious side effects. Feliway was a joke - the cat sprayed on the diffuser. Finally, the vet boarded Skyler for a week to see if he sprayed - nope. She told me to put him in one area of the house and keep him on Prozac. That worked out pretty well for several months, but his brother was spraying in the other part of the house. By the way, we did a very thorough clean up of the house when Skyler was being boarded. Lately, Skyler has gotten very frustrated living in the back, very agitated and verbal. So I let him out for a while and supervise him. If he sprays, I just take him back to his "apartments."

These two also play ROUGH. So I took both of them to the vet last week. BTW, I will NEVER euthanize them - NEVER. Turned out that Sylver, the sweeter of the two, had a UTI,, but we had to address the rough play situation because Skyler had a high temp, and the vet thought he had been bitten even though she found no wound sites, Usually Skyler is the aggressor in the "rough play" that escalates into biting. Yes, they are together at times - Sylver likes to sleep back here and sometimes I let Skyler be out on the patio with him (we have "cat fence in" too - a wonderful product). But a few days before these two went to the vet, I saw Sylver attack Skyler with teeth bared. He's gotten sick of Skyler starting fights, so I guess he decided to be the one to jump first.

Long story short, Skyler is now on Prozac (4 mg once a day) and 2 mg of Valium, split into halves, twice a day. Sylver is on 10 mg a day of Amitryptiline. And honestly, I have seen a difference in both cats in three days. The fighting and biting has stopped and Skyler has settled down. I have seen NO SPRAYING. I trust my vet implicitly; she is very cautious about meds. But it had reached the point of last chance to stop this behavior. Both these cats were dumped at the vets as newborns - sometimes hand raised cats do have issues like this (spraying and "sibling rivalry"),

My reason for coming on here is to say that I never gave up, and yes, I spent a lot of money over the years, but these are my children. I get all the meds at WalMart, generic versions, so I spend under $20 a month on them.

I hope this helps at least some of you. I never gave up and never will. If these meds don't work forever, I am one who will put up with the spraying. My husband can't stand it, but he loves them too and would never euth. them.

I know that money can be an issue. For me, these cats come first even if I have to do without stuff. It's worth it if you truly love your cat to try everything in the book to stop the behavior.

o

I have had my cat for 12 years and I had another cat that got lukemia. I had to put him down a few years back. We got another cat about 4 years ago and mine cat started peeing on things. I Love this cat and it breaks my heart. I am a single mom who quite dating because I cant stand people to come over my house. My 15 year old cries when I talk about giving her up. I clean up cat pee everyday on my couches, on the rugs outside the shower, if any peice of clothing is left on the ground. Now she has started just randomly peeing on the wood floors. Anyone who thinks that its easy to say just put them down Is Wrong but sometimes we just have to do whats right.

o

Simple hydrogen peroxide will completely eliminate the sat urine smell. It is cheap, and readily available at your grocery or drug store. After wiping up the urine with absorbent paper towels, thoroughly soak the item...carpet, tile, concrete...whatever, and keep it soaked with the peroxide for 24 hours or more as necessary. It has worked for me and for many others....and it is cheap!

o

My beloved cat is now 22 years old and looks great for his age. He also roams a bit outside still. He was a great killer cat in his younger days.

A couple years ago he stopped using the litter box, or does a bit of his peeing there but God knows where he poops. I recently discovered he has been peeing in the guest bathroom, to the point the carpets and pad had to be replaced, it reeked.

He's been seen by the vet and has no UTI, I think he just can't get around to the litter box easily or in it because his back legs don't work so well anymore and perhaps he is demented?

I've been wrestling with the decision to put him down or not. I'm moving to a small apartment in the next few weeks and there is no room for his catbox or the mess he makes around it.

I sometimes think, he has lived a long, happy life and it will only go downhill from here, so why not put him down.

At other times this is a painful decision. I've hoped for a natural death for him but it hasn't happened.

What would you do?

o

i have a 9 1/2 year old that started peeing indiscriminately when we brought home a 2nd dog 5 1/2 years ago. ruined a beautiful couch, 2 upholstered chairs, i have cut huge chunks of carpeting out and tossed w/ the ruined padding, she pees in the laundry basket (now moved into a closed closet), pees on any clothes that are on the floor, and is edgy, jumpy, and generally seems really miserable. my vet nearly suggested putting her to sleep but i felt bad about that. can't give her to shelter - anyone who adopted her would find out quickly she is "bad" and probably bring her back. no outdoors for her - too many coyotes here and she is def. not "street smart" having lived inside her whole life. she can be so sweet but this problem was driving us insane. put her on prozac (compounded, $99 for a tiny bottle, will look into options when time to refill) and it helped a LOT even though it was murder giving it to her. it's in a liquid. we roll her in a towel like a burrito and as she howls i put the syringe in the back of her throat and plunge. it's only 5 cc!! less than half a tsp.!! then she FOAMS at the mouth like she has rabies, trying not to swallow, but she does swallow. it helped ENORMOUSLY, both with the peeing and her jitters. she's still wary of shep, but not nearly as much. this saved her life b/d i don't think we would have been able to keep her, and i don't think she would have survived adoption. btw, i believe sincerely that SHE WAS SUFFERING. she def. was not happy. so putting her to sleep under those circs. i would consider MERCIFUL. it is not reasonable to think it's OK to live with the reek of cat urine. it's not healthy and it's gross. it's a very difficult situation but worth trying prozac and the other option was to lock her up in an "area" with food/water/litter box and hope for the best. i would never blame anyone for putting an incorrigible pee-er to sleep. that is NOT a happy cat, and there are MILLIONS - like 27,000,000 - of cats out there. it is sad but not the end of the world, and you get a chance to try to give another needy cat a good life. some animals ARE NOT ABLE TO LIVE normal lives or happy lives UNDER ANY CIRCS and it's not always the fault of the owner who probably lovingly took the animal in with the best intentions and hopes. it's wrong to judge people for the decisions they make in these difficult situations. people who feel judged: shine it on. you are OKAY and did what you could, and now the animal is NOT SUFFERING, and neither should you. peace.

o

I have a male cat he was neutered as early as possible, he is the most loving adorable cat you could wish for, but sadly he pees all around my house, i spend probably hours cleaning up for him, I have linoed all my home and wooden floors. I could never get rid of him, I love him to pieces and I refuse to give up on him, it does help using Feliway plug ins and sprays but only marginally, as there is an increased spraying once the feliway runs out and I know to go get some more. I am going to try him on tablets. I know he is a very happy cat as he is always purring and falling asleep on my lap and sleeps on my bed at night. I just hope the tablets work as I love him very much. And if they dont I guess Ill continue to clean up after him.

o

Hello everyone. I am not going to pass judgment on people for the choices they make whether I agree or not.
Here is my situation. My cat will be 17 years old next month. Though she is a diabetic she is currently not taking insulin. She goes on and off depending on how well I can maintain her numbers with diet.
Recently I started feeding her a cheaper food, knowing it wouldn't be good for her diabetes but I am unemployed and trying to save a few bucks. As soon as I saw her drinking too much water and peeing so hard it goes out of the box, I changed her back. It wasn't her fault and it wasn't behavioral.
If your cat is peeing outside the box, this could be the reason. Cats with diabetes drink a lot of water and urinate a lot.
It isn't happening as often now but it happens occasionally. I don't mind cleaning up after her because the box is on a floor and not carpet and easy enough t clean up. Sure it's a hassle and not how I want to start my day but she is and has been my family for 17 years.
Her back legs don't appear to be as strong as they used to. She moves around very little and I have noticed a deterioration in her mobility in recent days.
I have also found a bean size lump on her underbelly. I know I can go to the vet and maybe have it removed but how much do you spend on a 17 year old cat that is having trouble with mobility? I lost her sister who was born with her 6 months ago to cancer. They spent their whole lives together and I think it may just be time for her to join her sister.
My vet would never take advantage or suggest unnecessary and costly surgery so I will probably take her for a routine checkup and discuss the options. Knowing what the lump is will help in making the decision.
If anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom, please feel free to write.
Peace and kitty love

o

I volunteer for an animal rescue group as a foster and currently am fostering a cat that is unadoptable because she has accidents outside the litter box. She has peed on my bed, various sofas, pillows, and on the floor all around her litter box. She has been to the vet who examined for a UTI. She even had an exploratory surgery to see if there was any ovarian tissue left over from a spay that was putting her into heat and might be making her spray. It appears that she is physically fine and this is a behavioral problem. So I am watching her, fostering her. Now the rescue director has set up an outdoor situation for the cat, not exactly a barn but a shed on a farm like property where she will be solely outdoors but will be cared for and fed by some other members of the same rescue. I guess it's like they're starting a little colony on this somewhat rural property. I think the shed, which is basically like a large dog house, will have heated pads for the cats to lie on. This cat and some others that are too shy/feral for adoption will use it. This is not "my" cat but she's been with me for a few months. We have not tried the Feliway or the Prozac, I asked the rescue director about trying those things but she says she can't adopt out a cat with these problems and no one wants to begin with a cat that they need to medicate or that needs special treatment. This is a young cat, maybe between 1 - 2 years. She was very timid when she came to me and is still shy but getting more approachable. I am very torn about the options for this kitty. The rescue director, who is very experienced, assures me the cat will be looked after and will adapt to outdoor living. The other cats are also indoor cats. What do y'all think? I live in the Mid-atlantic region so we do get some lousy weather.

o

My cat is now 20 years old. She has low kidney function and spondilosis (arthritis of the hips/lower spine). She gets one pill a day for each ailment. (Thank gawd for the Pill Pockets product!) I have two vets I go to: one is a cat-only vet hospital with a cat-loving female vet who also has some very old cats; the other is a cheaper compassionate local vet who is familiar with the usual cat ailments, including of older cats.

My cat occasionally pees in inappropriate locations (carpet, bed). She doesn't have a litter box as she goes out through catdoors to the outside. She prefers going outside. Actually, she does have a litter box on her way outside, but hasn't used it in at least a year. The problem is so sporadic that it is not a UTI and not a behavioral problem. I will not medicate for this. However, it is happening more frequently and is becoming a problem for me.

Her problem is age and disability. She sometimes has a difficult time just getting up from a sleeping position and probably just can't make it off the bed in time. Maybe she can't detect when she needs to go pee as well as she did when she was younger.

I once remarked to my cat supervet that I hoped that I'd simply wake up one morning to find a cold dead cat-body in place where she last lay for sleeping, and not ever have to make the decision to put her down. The vet remarked that in her experience with many cat owners, that scenario almost never happens. There's always some remarkable emergency that will give you reason to whisk the cat to the vet and have to make the decision to spend money, effort and time on a medical solution to extend life "for the moment"... or have the cat put down. She herself has spent thousands on one beloved pet's problems with a not-so-nearby vet university clinic. She told me she will continue to work on THAT cat. It must mean a lot to her, but I got the idea that she wouldn't do such heroic efforts with every cat she has.

However, she recognizes that there is a point in a cat's life when it will be in distress more than the cat shows it... and you will have to make the decision that now is the time to put them down.

I'm sure the decision is never easy. You weigh the pros and cons. You try to outguess the end-of-life timeframe. Damn... I wish I had a crystal ball and could devine when my cat's natural end should occur. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as half of you guys here on this thread... chewing my fingernails trying to decide IF I should euthanize before a spectacular medical emergency, and if so... when.

o

then the cats should of been converted to outside cats then. if they were in apartments or something where the cats couldn't be outside, then they should of tried to find a different home for the cat(s) before putting them down. a cat shouldn't have to die for that reason.

o

curious, but people who are on here calling others heartless...do you have an 18 year old cat with CRF who has been peeing and pooping in the house for 10+ months even after giving medication, 3-4 litter boxes around the house, converting to oilpans for easy access, and switching to renal specific food?

I have loved my cat since she was 3 weeks old when I rescued her. No one is making these decisions because the cat peed on the rug 2-3 times... This is not an easy decision that anyone wants to make. And I still don't want to make the decision :'(

o

this is ridiculous. you should be ashamed of yourself for even saying that. like you are so proud. yeah man i put a cat to sleep, im cool. that should be illegal and people like you should be in jail for that. cats animals in general have feelings they are not a toy or a piece of clothe that you toss around till you forget about it.what if it was one of your kids peeing on their pants would you put them to sleep too, oh yeah you are gonna say they are kids bla bla they are humans. no its the same thing. some people here in the united states should not have animals cause they dont care enough ,they have no compassion. any little thing is oh i just put them to sleep problem solved ill get a new one. well i hope this cat cames back to haunt you.or maybe in another life you gonna come to this world as a cat so you can feel what that cat felt. I have 5 cats one of them a female is 5 years old and have a respiratory problem took to the vet couple of times nothing would help. she sneeze a lot and a lot of mucus comes out on the walls carpet .. so what i did was i just clean after her its not her fault and never ever crossed my mind to put her to sleep cause of that i love her with all my life and i will always will not matter what.

o

I agree with the above statement. All of this is complete nonsense, and you people should not have a cat if you can not take full responsibility of them. (i.e Cleaning up after them, getting them medication, finding safe homes for them when all other options have been exhausted)

I know what it's like to have a cat that pees in the house, but I love her with all of my heart and I'm gonna do whatever it takes to have the problem solved, and if I can't solve it, you best believe I'm taking it upon myself to find someone who can do it properly. Not just dumping her off at a shelter or having her put to sleep.

I wholeheartedly think that people who do such things should possibly put themselves in the cat's position. How would you feel if you had a condition that caused you to urinate constantly? Think back to when you were a child, everyone wet their pants at some time or another, and you're still here aren't you? I'm sure your parents didn't think to themselves "if this keeps up, we're gonna have her/him put to sleep." Well, that's exactly what cats and dogs should be treated as.. your children. They look to you for companionship. They shouldn't have to fear for their lives just because they aren't able to use the box.

So, put on some big person panties, and take responsibility for your actions. You wanted that animal for a reason in the first place. Don't just dump them off because you're too stinkin' lazy to take proper care of them. And if you don't see yourselves being able to handle these types of situations like the adults that you claim to be, maybe you just shouldn't have animals, period.

o

I'm going to jump in on this one- being someone who has been sharing a life with a cat who pees (not sprays) on anything that smells different for six, going on seven years. My back round: I got sasha and his sister when they were kittens from a friend of mine who was looking for a home for them when I was also looking to adopt a cat, and the match seemed perfect. As a kitten sasha started to pee on anything that had a different smell, or when he was stressed, or for what ever reason as to why he felt the need to do so. The vet found early on that it was not a medical problem, but a behavioral/psych problem. Ive changed litters (yes, he does use the cat box, and it is cleaned if not every day, sometimes more) and found that he likes fresh step the best, though no, it still doesn't work since it's a psych problem and yes, I know the rule, for every one cat have two litter boxes. Ive built a huge cat gym/tree that is in the room that he is currently in and try to make his life happy and stress free. He is a white cat and no, cannot be an outdoor cat. We have coyotes, bears, bob cats and other wild life where I live and most out door cats here don't make it past the first year outside. The majority of my friends have lost their cats due to letting them out doors. Also, the second biggest effect (first is humans) on the small bird and wildlife population plummeting here in america is because of house cats being outdoors, and being some one who has worked with wildlife catch and re-lease programs, I am against such actions on the environment (if you are a person who believes in your cat being outdoors, please contact your local wild life center, or google centers and talk with someone about the effects of cats on the wildlife-it is more serious than you think and there are tons of scientific studies and articles that support cats only being indoors because of this). So that is why no, he will never be an outside cat. I currently share a house and everyone here has been very patient with him, but it has finally come to the point (a new baby from my other room mate) where his actions are no longer tolerated. Cat pee cannot get out of baby blankets, car seats, stuffed toys, etc. and it is a huge health concern for a new born (like it or not, go talk to a pediatrician, they will advise getting rid of the cat over the health of the child and if you are a good parent, you will most likely choose your childs health so I understand my roommates frustrations). He is only allowed in my room, but if someone accidentally comes in, and he runs out and pees (which yes happens, I do live with other people) it becomes a problem and no, I dont believe in keeping him in a small cage (Ive actually had people suggest that to me). I can only control what I do, it's much harder when there are many other people involved and I'm not finically wealthy enough to live on my own (it is a recession btw), so moving is not an option. Now, people here have listed trying meds, and for some cats the drugs work (and yes, I know them all), and for those people who have such a situation where the drugs work, congrats, but when the drugs don't work, or cause serious side effects (complete lethargic and personality changes) and when more than one vet suggest that not much else can be done, your options are little. Those sprays, and pheromone smells, "relax cat," plug ins, dont work. And yes, you can try to find them a new home, but try, just try to find someone who will take a cat who pees on not only their stuff but any guest who visits (their shoes, clothes, towels, suit case etc) they would never be able to have anyone over, have to be a hermit, not have any fabric, or furniture, or carpet in the house- or clothes for that matter and be incredibly peaceful (where is this magical person?? I would love to find one). I have talked with animal rescue groups from state to state (I have volunteered for many, so I know where and who to call), called the humane society/aspca and even private organizations. The aspca and humane society have told me they would just put him down, a cat that pees where it is a psych problem is considered un-adoptable in their terms and all of the hundreds, I repeat Hundreds* of rescue groups that I have contacted also consider him un-adoptable and will not take him (I will not lie to them about him, I inform them of how he is and what his personality is like, his life, history etc. it wouldnt be fair to him or the people if I were to lie). I have only found 2 places who said that they will take him, but for a price. The first place wants a donation of eight (8) thousand dollars, it's on the east coast and its a private 'cathouse for cats with problems'...yeah. The second requires a monthly donation/fee of about 50-100 dollars on the west coast, and essentially you are paying for your cat to be boarded the rest of his life. I don't have that kind of money, if I did he would already be there. If anyone knows a place where it is safe, kind, loving, has the money, facilities and will take care of him where he wont be stressed, I would gladly look into the place, but I have yet to find it. I have even talked with an animal energy worker, a woman who talks to animals, and many professional cat people, all who have failed. So this is my situation. My vet has already suggested a year and a half ago (she knows all of that I've gone through and tried) that it's time to put him down. It's not just the pee, it's the fact that he is somehow unhappy and very stressed, especially with other people or when new smells are around. So in my case, the best for him (maybe finally he will be at peace), with my living situation, and the babys health issues, he will be put to sleep. I personally dont care what people who are not in my situation say, you dont know what you are talking about. Period. And I would be amused to see if you could last even close to my seven years within my specific situation. So thats my two cents, you can disagree with my vets decision and me, but that is just where we are at. I assure you, if I didnt love him and want to help him, I wouldnt have tried all of the options that I have for as long as it has been. Thats all I really want to say on the matter and hope this gives a better view of the many efforts and unfortunate conclusion that some pet guardians have to come to.

o

And for those of you who are intolerant of human needs over an aging cat's. How about dealing with pee on the clean laundry or the dresser top or (the best yet) the stove top. Cats are delightful creative individuals. This type of behavior, though, is unhealthy for all involved. No solutions from the vet have worked, so a tough personal decision will be made in the next couple of weeks. Some of the more judgmental of you will certainly condemn me to hell if I put the 12-year-old cat down. I will cry, but my family and the house will be healthier.

o

To those of you who actually have this problem, please ignore the armchair activists on the internet. They do not accurately represent a sample of people in the real world, people who have other responsibilities and priorities above that of their pets, like the health of their families. Anyone suggesting that an animal is equal to that of their child in the hierarchy of their family is clearly mental.

Let me ask you this, if your house were on fire and you had to choose between saving your cat or your kid, but your cat were closer, would you in all honesty save your cat over your child? Because that's what it means to equate your cat to your children. Not that you love the cat a whole lot, or that it's as cute as any human baby, but that they're actually equal in your mind... And if you say you'd choose the cat you're either lying or delusional. Pets have an important place in a family, but it should never be above that of people.

Case in point: The woman who said she was 9 months pregnant and on strict bed-rest running around to clean up cat poop while in excruciating pain. If something had happened to your baby or yourself because you were too stubborn to listen to doctor's orders I'm betting you wouldn't be so proud of yourself, much less the father of your child. Frankly, I can't believe anyone would be so irresponsible.

I have read a lot of the posts about people surrendering their pets or putting them to sleep. It seems like the majority have tried everything and are heartbroken over it. You do what you have to do. I have taken care of a lot of animals myself and if there's one thing I've learned it's that they're all different. Sometimes you will meet an animal whose problems you can't solve. You're not obligated to do so either; you're not omnipotent. You do the best you can for everybody involved and leave it at that.

Locking an unhappy animal up in a room by itself for the rest of its life is no life for a cat and not a solution, neither is abandoning it to some unsuspecting new owners who may do worse if they end up with the same problem. Maybe your inside cat can adjust to the outside world or maybe it's just a more cruel way to die at the hands of cars or coyotes. No-kill shelters don't want animals with these problems because they're "un-adoptable." Barn cats? Where is this magical land filled with an abundance of barns and farmers who don't mind the additional vet and food bills that come with another animal? In the past 3 years we've spent over $10,000 on vets alone. Unless all these farmers are millionaires, I doubt they want an unending flood of "un-adoptable" cats on their doorsteps. These are all the suggestions I see posted time and time again which make it sound like it's so trivial to relocate a cat. Yeah, right.

o

I've been on both sides of the fence and I know how frustrating and heart-breaking it is. It's cliche, but no one really knows until they walk a mile in your shoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here