Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Formula to get Cat urine out permanently

Posted by todancewithwolves (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 13:26

I'm passing this on.

There is only one sure way to get urine out permanently without leaving a stain or any odor behind. This can be used on any surface or carpet or material. This formula is being sold on e-bay so someone will be unhappy, but I think profiting on other people's misery isn't fair. It's simple...

16 0z Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Teaspoon dishwashing liquid
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda

Mix together and soak area, leave on till completely dry if a white residue appears it can be vacuumed or brushed away. This has never failed and I have 16 cats.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Formula to get Cat urine out permanently

How is it that the peroxide doesn't bleach the fabric?

o

I'm thinking maybe that kind of peroxide isn't strong enough to bleach something? I don't know but I'm willing to give it a try. My carpet isn't that great a shape anyway.
My 7yr. old girl dog has peed and pooped in the house the last 2 nights. ((sigh)) I don't know what's up with that. Might have to bring her crate in here after all. Anyway, thanks for the recipe.

o

You are right Beeanne,the peroxide we buy at Walmart is very concentrated.Also,peroxide has very little effect on synthetic fibers.It is used commercially,in very high concentrates,for bleaching cotton,silk,wool and other natural fibers.I would suggest trying it on a spot before using it on carpets or furniture as you would with any other cleaner but I doubt it would hurt anything.I am going to try it also.I found the formula some time ago but just remembered to get the peroxide a few days ago.
This is the recipe I have.Basically the same,just a larger amount.
1 qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 C. baking soda
1 tsp.liquid dish soap

o

I'm finished shopping for the week but that will go on my list. Can you store it after it's mixed or should you just mix what you are going to use?

o

Beeanne-The instructions I have says to mix it in a plastic spray container but it can't be stored because the container will explode.So I guess just mix what you will use at one time.

o

Thanks! I'm glad I asked. I was thinking maybe it would just lose it effectiveness or something. :-)

o

TO, thanks so much, I will try this. I took the carpeting out of our living room a year ago (it was like new) and now we just have the sub-floor for a floor and they sometimes still pee in a couple of spots. I would like to put carpeting back but I'm not going to until the peeing stops for good....

o

Thank you for providing this information. I've never found anything that completely removes cat urine. I got rid of my wall to wall carpeting years ago because I have a lot of cats. I'm going to try this on the carpeted cat condos that are a pee target. It makes sense that it would work. We've all seen what peroxide does when applied to things like pus and blood. It should do the same with urine and other organic stains and odors. We'll see.

o

I tried this a few days ago. Unfortunately I didn't soak the carpet enough. I have several areas that have been targets lately. :(

But I'm not giving up! Going to buy another bottle of peroxide and try again, maybe even pouring some on, not just spraying.

I have an off-white carpet (not by choice, it was there when we moved in!) and I will say there was no adverse affects on the color where I sprayed... which of course is stained yellow anyhow from the pee. I'd gladly have a bleached look instead!

o

I use peroxide to bleach the small areas on white clothes that have writing or other color on them, so I know peroxide will whiten some fabrics. A test in a hidden area is a good idea.

White vinegar is a great odor eliminator. Used straight from the bottle or diluted, it will help a lot to neutralize any pet odors in fabrics, the vinegar smell fades pretty fast (half an hour or so).

Has anybody tried Nature's Miracle? It's available at most pet stores. It's an enzyme based odor and stain killer that even works on OLD pet stains. I've used it a lot. My previous dog developed bleeding ulcers. He had a couple accidents, leaving black, tarry, vile-smelling diarrhea in several areas of the house. The Nature's Miracle elliminated the odor and the stain completely! I was stunned, cuz I thought the carpet was toast for sure, but the NM worked great.

FYI, the NM is also a great laundry stain fighter - even gets out ink.

o

Share-It is important to soak the carpet and the pad.I just poured some peroxide on a spot in my computer room where the cat had peed.It is still drying so don't know if it's going to work or not.

o

For philmont_2006 or any others that will be replacing carpet, if you seal or paint the floor before you put the carpet down it works for peeing pets much better. Half the trouble with the urine is it soaks into the wood. We were moving into a house that had been abused and stopped by while the vinyl was being put down and I asked the landlord if it could be painted first before the carpet and he agreed. If we hadn't that much pee would have still stunk even with a new carpet. It helps when you clean it because the floor itself is not going to get wet. It just feels nicer to not have what ever was in the wood not be part of your household. LOL

Shari

o

My babysitter's cat urinated on my sons car seat. I used the vinegar solution. It worked great on the fabric that could be removed and washed but the straps still smell horribble. I sprayed the vinegar solution right on the straps. I rinsed and repeated for about 45 minutes....they still stink. Do you thik that the peroxide solution will be to strong or discolor the black straps?????

o

you could try a test spot, but i'd rather get rid of the odor even if th if does discolor the straps...you could try one of the enzyme like natures miracle first...i'veused that successfully.

i remember reading about someone rehabbing a place that reeked of cat urine that had soaked into the wood...he used shellac to seal the wood after all else failed...i don't know why that worked!

o

Sam's Club sells a product called OdoBan... it kills odors and germs at the biological level, has a fresh clean scent, and one gallon goes a very long way. It has also been reported to kill the AIDS virus.

I've used it with complete success since it was first introduced to the public market... I'm a veteran canine breeder, and I've raised 3 children... OdoBan is the only product I use to clean and disinfect my home and kennel.

It really does work, and it does not harm pets or humans, in my experience.

o

I don't find the OdoBan to work on cat urine though. I use Odormute. It is a powder and is mixed with water. Very inexpensive can be bought at KV Vet Supply on line and other pet supply stores.

I will try that mixture that the OP mentions however.

o

I haven't tried it on cat urine, but I bought some stuff called Kitty-Scram at the vacuum place for puppy accidents. My friend recommended it after she used it for potty-training-toddler accidents (she got the couch one day...). On the carpet in the house we used to live in, the KittyScram left a slight discoloration, but when I cleaned it with Resolve afterward, it went away.
It smells like bubblegum, and takes away the pee smell.
FWIW

o

I've used this mixture effectively for a couple years now. We had one adopted cat that urinated all over our brand new upholstered club chair, only 2 days after we brought it home! I took the seat cover off, and let it soak in the formula overnight and through the next day - and all the odor was gone! I've also used it to get rid of new puppy accidents on our oriental carpets.

o

I used this the other night on a room that you honestly could not walk past while the door was open without smelling cat urine.

I took a garden spray bottle filled with precise (I mean, measuring cup precise) measurements of each of these.. sprayed the entire room once and then a 2nd time I doused the problem areas (an entire corner of a room).

I came back yesterday to find you couldn't tell there had been a cat present at the residence.. I did however spray the corner one more time.

Thanks so much for this recommendation, It saved me from having to have the carpet replaced!

o

What can be used on colored leather sofa? Thanks.

o

Anyone know if this works for wood? I have 2 bookshelves and probably a dresser that I just got out of my mom's house that smell of pee. I don't want to throw them away so I need to get the pee smell out before I take them in the house.

Thanks

o

I bought a beautiful maroon overstuffed chair from craiglist last year. My husband was the one who actually picked it up, but when it got here, it STUNK of cat urine!! It's been sitting in my garage since. Do you think this will work on old cat urine?? Should I soak the whole chair and let it sit in the sun?

o

One of my cats peed on everything in my house, including a new couch (microfiber), my bed, etc. I used hydrogen peroxide straight out of the bottle. I dumped it on; enough to soak in and make contact with every little nook and cranny that the urine could have soaked into. I dumped many pints of peroxide on my couch! Then I put fans on it so it wouldn't get moldy. When it was all dry, I couldn't smell the urine and apparently the other cats couldn't either.

Good luck,

Ann

o

Do you have to use the dish soap? If you're just dumping the formula on the carpet and not scrubbing with it, what's the purpose of the dish soap?

o

wow it really worked. my daughters male cat kept urinating on this chair and i could not get it out. she bought expensive pet cleaner from the pet store and it didnt even work. i bought this chair cheap at a yard sale got a great great deal on it. only $5.00 and i love it. i wouldnt of been able to find a great deal like that again. so glad i have my red chair back.

o

I have a rental home. When my tenant moved out, I went into the house and it stunk REALLY bad. I had it professionally cleaned and it still stunk. I rented a steam cleaner and did the 50/50 water and vinegar. Now it only stinks when the house gets hot and I am in TN. From reading, the vinegar gets rid of the ammonia smell but the bacteria still exist which is what causes the current odor. So now I am in the process of using the peroxide to kill the bacteria. This tenant let the dog pee in several spots in all the rooms in my house. My carpet has several discolorations in all rooms. I assume the discolored spots are the major spots for the peroxide...or at least I hope so...I have bowl fresh deodorizers hung on every closet door and the living room door to cover up the smell. It is working but I want to get rid of the odor before my next tenant moves in... wish me luck

o

I've been dealing with cat urine for 5 years. I've tried EVERY product under the sun, especially the enzyme formulas, simple green, oxy clean, odo ban, pets and kids, zepp, rodex, nature's miracle...You name it, I have spent hundreds without success....professionally cleaned the carpets, bought a $500 steam cleaner and did it myself 5 billion times... I've tried vinegar...supposed to neutralize the ph. I've also tried this peroxide recipe. NOTHING has worked. I ripped out my carpet this past weekend and just threw away the couch. I found recommendation for "Urine Contamination Treatment" specifically designed for human/pet urine. It is sold at Jon-Don. When I went in, the manager directed me to Microban disinfectant that is used for smoke/fire damage, mold, mildew, fungus. To my surprise, one single spray down of the walls, baseboards and floor completely eliminated the odor. I had 2 corner areas where I needed to respray, but the smell is gone and I have my home back! Microban. It works. I will not mess with any other product now that I have found it. And it's only about $30 a gallon. Good luck.

o

Here is what is working for me; I have very old (100+years), untreated, un-lacquered hard wood floors and terrible 80's cheap kitchen flooring. I am a renter and have bought/tried everything. I would never damage my landlord's property through negligence or laziness. I hope this helps- cat urine is the worst of the worst!

blot as much urine up as you can- if it's still wet (doesn't matter)
mix vinegar & water in a spray bottle (40/60 or any strong combo will do)- soak entire area
let sit a while then coat with baking soda- let sit again
scrub with hand brush- take up with paper towels
pour hydrogen peroxide (3%- how it comes at the drug store) on area enough to soak/saturate
let sit for 20-30 minutes
scrub again then take up with paper towels
spray *Nature's Miracle over area very heavily- saturate!
dry- the next day you can clean up any powder etc that is still around.
Now- I did this about 6 times over a period of a day but it worked! it was 80+ degrees today and 90+ in my house and there was no smell at all.

I also poured a little boric acid in one area and scrubbed it like I did the baking soda just to see what happened. That area has no smell but it could be coincidence. (it was laying around because I was treating my lawn for fleas; I have no idea if it eliminates odor)

I've read all about cat urine seeping through the hard woods because it is on the floor beneath the floor. However this recipe seems to have eliminated the smell 100% for now and it has stopped the pets from wanting to keep going outside the box. I have no idea what will happen in the future I just hope someone will try a more natural cleaner and have the same luck that I have. Thank you!

*** Nature's Miracle is not part of the recipe that I normally use for cleaning cat urine- it just happened to be in my house because my boyfriend bought it for his dog. I do not think it made a difference in Removing the Smell- however it seemed to deter the pets from the area, whereas they usually creep around after I've cleaned their mess. It may be coincidence or it may be the product.

Good luck
Taxidermist

o

My carpet service said nothing can get out cat urine. They can take of dog urine.

o

my cat was peeing in the living room and i tried to shampoo,vinegar, and even bleach my carpet but it still stinks. I am hoping this can get rid of the smell for good. has anyone had their cat go back to the area and start peeing after using this formula?

o

I have used Vinegar and the hydrogen peroxide formula and NEITHER worked.

Will the microban work on carpets?

I cut out the piece of original carpet and because the cement under it still smelled I put a plastic over it and then a 5x4 foot carpet over IT. THEN the litterbox. It worked fine for years but the other day someone peed on the carpet several times and I hate to toss it. We are going up into the hundreds next couple days and it is sitting out on my gravel in the back yard and I desperately want to get out the odor so I can use it again!

o
RE: Formula to get Cat and dog urine and feces odor out permanent

i use molecular modifier, and i follow the directions, and i also use a product called urine stain remover, and you can find them both on the website for janilene..they are a carpet cleaning supplier...both of these products are what really work completely every time....molecular modifier has the enzymes to really kill the crystals in both cat and dog urine and eradicate the smell. urine stain cleaner , after you spray it on, even on our off white carpet, the yellow stain is gone in about 10 minutes...you have to invest some money, but it is totally worth it!!!

it has saved my soul, as we have 5 pets, and i dont get as upset when one of them goes somewhere, as they are indoor pets, and they do their thing sometimes.

o

We moved the other day and our kitty was not happy; he peed on the seat and now the whole car smells of cat pee. D:
Has anyone, who's tried this, sucessfully gotten the smell out of a car?

o

Can someone please tell me how to get cat urine out of custom silk drapes without discoloring the fabric! Any advice would be extremely helpful! Thanks

o

we have tried everything that has been sugested, even the natures miracle. I would not want anyone to come to my house because of the smell. Surely someone knows of something that would help. I am getting so disgusted. They are my husbands cats, and he won't get rid of them. Please someone help me.

o

PEROXIDE DOESN'T BLEACH
the formula of peroxide is H202 thats why if you leave it in sun it turns to water.

It's used as a developer WITH powder bleach to lighten hair.

But why do you think something you put in cuts will lighten your clothes? Think about it.
:-) It takes blood out of scrubs like crazy too.

o

I tried the peroxide / baking soda / dish soap thing on a spot on my carpet. It reduces the smell, but does not entirely get rid of it. After about 3 treatments of that, I started dumping peroxide only onto the spot. It still has a faint odor and apparently the cats can smell it too, because one of them peed on the spot again...sigh. I am about to try the vinegar, I've read either a 50/50 solution or a 25% solution will do it. Gonna dump that right on there.

o

Nature's Miracle is not 100% effective on cat urine. The best product, and we had 5 cats, 2 serious pee-ers is something called AntiIckyPoo (AIP).

But once it soaks into the wood the only solution is to replace the wood, you cannot sand the floors and bleach out the stain. Been there, tried that, doesn't work.

o

Thank you so much for the formula!!! I have a cat who's almost 12 who has become very lazy. She's also become jealous of our new cat, a 4 yr old male, so she urinates ALL over my apartment! I don't want to have to pay extra because of the smell when I move out! I appreciate your help!!! :)

o

My byofriend and I have recently moved back home with my parents due to problems with our landlord. My parents moved from a beautiful 5 bedroom home to rent a 2 bedroom apartment since they were the only ones living home, well in this 2 bedroom apartment, they have 7 cats!!!! and no matter how clean and neat the litter pans are, the cats tend to go to the bathroom EVERYWHERE! the smell is horrible, the littler pans are in the basement so thankfully they usually go down there, but they still go up strais sometimes, they pee on the couch, they pee on the hard wood flooring, they pee on the fridge, they pee EVERYWHERE My parents just started renting this home and are already wanting to give up with trying to keep up with the clenliness due to the smell, i have tried numerous times for my mom to bring a few of the cats to the shelter, but she just wont part, how do i get the cats to stop peeing everywere except the litter box? and how do i get the smell out of EVERYTHINg from, wood flooring, to laminent basement flooring, to the walls, to the furniture. I cant even invite friends in anymore its that embarrassing, what do i do to get the urine and feces smell out? PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS MESS!!!!

o

I am currently trying this formula on a few cat urine spots. The problem is will the stain come off? My Landlord is going to go thru the carpet with a black light!! You can not see a single spot but when we turned the black light on you see little spots everywhere. I am going to use my carpet cleaner to see if it helps me with stains. please anyone tell me if the satins will dissapear too.

o

ok so the formula works on the smell. But that wasn't really an issue for me since i see a stain on my carpet and I attack it! LOL My problem are the stains under black light! It's like grabbing a microscope to check if your house is clean or not! Ughhh!! :( Now i have to pay to have the whole carpet replaced!!! who wants a cat and a dog?!! FREE!!

o

I used this on cat urine at my dads house a while ago and it worked great!

o

I have a special needs cat who has developed an issue with the litter boxes. I have one box for each cat plus extra, and I have litter boxes on each floor of my home (my vet is right - having one or two boxes in one out-of-the-way place is a recipe for disaster - cats are not like people). I have been using Nature's Miracle and found that it works well on synthetic carpet, but recently my little guy targeted the wool stair runner - the NM has reduced the smell, but not eliminated it. I have taken to keeping puppy wee-wee pads in the areas that my cat likes to go in. He has actually started peeing and pooping on the pads, but sometimes a little sprays on the bamboo floor. NM also makes a product for hard floor surfaces that, thankfully, is working well. We took up carpeting and flooring during our home renovation, and before putting new flooring down we treated any peed upon surfaces with a variety of things even though the urine was no longer evident, and then painted the area with Kilz. It covers a variety of stains on walls when used as a base coat, and covered the pee spots well. We have not had a problem with any smell resurfacing. I'll try the peroxide mixture on my wool carpet and keep my fingers crossed!

o

Has anyone tried any of the remedies on custom draperies? I'm looking to address the bottom of a pair of customer silk draperies that my cats chose as a target.

o

Would this formula work on a pair of cream colored pleather boots?

o

I hava parquet flooring...that was covered with carpet and peed on by cats. The landlord removed the carpet but the floor still smells..... I am chemically sensative....does microban smell. Can i still use the baking soda mix.

o

where do u buy hydrogen peroxide from?

o

I am a dog groomer & I use this same mixture to get skunk out of the dogs. They say to use it right away cause the reaction of the peroxide & baking soda....when you mix it it will start to fizz....

o

Nature's Miracle used to be more effective than the current formula. The original is now marketed as Petastic, available on the Internet by the original manufacturer. It takes out all odors, dog and cat, urine and feces. Used if for years. No financial interest in either of those products.

o

• Posted by
    Sandy Wadsworth
    (sjw5@mac.com) on
    Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 20:30

Hi - recently we bought a new sofa (after 20 years) that is leather with fabric underneath. One of the cats urinated in the crack between the cushions so we now have the smell in the leather cushions as well as the fabric underneath the cushions. Any suggestions for eliminating the smell? We have tried a Woolite product, shampooing, steam cleaning and Zero Odor Pet - it has helped but not totally eliminated the odor.

Thanks. S. Wadsworth

o

Ok I have done battle with both urine and skunk...the peroxide, dawn, baking soda in a gallon of water will most usually remove anything with a smell (it is amazing how well it works on a skunked dog) it also works very well on materials and in laundry...but don't forget about borax...for simply washing out most all odors...then there is baby diaper detergent...but for wood...enzymes to actually break down the scent though baking soda, and I have found using a carpet powder for critters with oxyclean and baking soda left on for a day or two really helped without doing any damage and can be repeated as much as needed without any damage and sometimes after letting that absorb odors I will hit with vinegar for a big boil out of the area , I had ancient cats that wound up with kidney disease...but if you keep after it...eventually you will win the stinky battle....

o

My new kitty just peed on my couch. I've had her for about three weeks and this is the first and only time she has done this. Unfortunately I wasn't home when it happened, so when I found the urine it had pretty much dried up, and smelled horribly. I have a microfiber couch (it's blue) and the cushions are not removable. She went right in between the cushions. I was about to go out and buy and enzyme cleaner but then I found this formula. I decided to try it seeing as how I had everything I needed right here at home. I filled a misting bottle and soaked the area, it took me a couple bottles worth since the one I have is not very big. I left the area to dry and figured if it didn't work I could try buying something. Once dry I shoved my face right up to the spot, and all I can say is WOW! No stain, and NO SMELL! Thank you so much for this! Works amazingly well.

o

I have been looking for a remedy to use on a handed braided rug I have in the kitchen. First let me say MishaT: I read your response and when I saw the date of your response, I almost cried. You see I had to have one of my cats (Lucy) put down because she was very sick and that was the day it happened. Anyway Lucy was a very temperamental cat and I put up with her, because I loved her. Now that she is gone, I would like to try to save some of items she almost ruined. I am going to try this right now, wish me luck.

o

Having read a lot of the posts here and having removed cat urine from rental properties I have some thoughts;

The bicarb is not needed.
The vinegar is a nice to have
What worked for me on different occasions and with different cats was application of biological washing powder solution in warm water - this has the enzymes you need followed by a rince and then an oxygenating stain remover or hydrogenperoxide in low concentration (oxtaction was my preference as it is easy to get hold of in the UK), follow this with a rince. If you are dealing with a carpet it is nice to put fabric condition solution into your last rince.

Do not use washing up liquid on carpets or fabric furniture as it foams too much and remains in the fabric, attracting dirt to the area.

You can buy hydrogenperoxide from your chemist in 200ml bottles in the UK or you could just buy the propriatry OXY stain remover for use in washing machines. This come in formulars for white and coloured so buy the coloured version for upholstry and carpets.

I think that the enzyme cleaner will take out the stain which shows up under UV. But I will check on this sometime.

I would be reluctant to use H2O2 on delicate fabrics but you may find that you can use one of the propriortary cleaners on those curtains.

It is worth remembering that even diff humans can have different chemical compsition in thier wee - I have done enough end of tenancy cleans to know that some people stain the limescale differently and others have wee that reacts with the limescale. The same is true of cats and what works for one cat may well not work for another.

It is worth trying different things until you find one which works.

o

Ok so I read some of these, and I am willing to try this as I have had two cats go on my couch now as well as my kids and dog... however I am not able to take it apart, as well as I have a space in the front that is like two layers to give more support when we recline the couch... how do I get between there, and how do I know I cleaned it enough to get it all out??

o

Misha - I have this exact same scenario, can you tell me which formula you used? I read through this whole thread and there are a lot of different formulas called out so I want to make sure I get the right one? I really don't want to get rid of my cool chair just because I didn't clean it right. Can you help?

Posted by MishaT (My Page) on Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 1:28

My new kitty just peed on my couch. I've had her for about three weeks and this is the first and only time she has done this. Unfortunately I wasn't home when it happened, so when I found the urine it had pretty much dried up, and smelled horribly. I have a microfiber couch (it's blue) and the cushions are not removable. She went right in between the cushions. I was about to go out and buy and enzyme cleaner but then I found this formula. I decided to try it seeing as how I had everything I needed right here at home. I filled a misting bottle and soaked the area, it took me a couple bottles worth since the one I have is not very big. I left the area to dry and figured if it didn't work I could try buying something. Once dry I shoved my face right up to the spot, and all I can say is WOW! No stain, and NO SMELL! Thank you so much for this! Works amazingly well.

o

Let me just say, this worked when nothing else would! There are a couple of spots that I had to do a few times, but after a few tries the smell came out of them too. I'm a renter, and I thought we were in trouble for sure. I can put my face right down on the carpet, and there's no smell! My cat can't even smell it. THANK YOU!!!

o

I used the hydrogen peroxide recipe on a bicycle carrier that I bought at a garage sale but it smelled horrible because of the cat pee. I looked this up and found this page and used the recipe right away and the smell is completely gone now! It is amazing! Thank you for the recipe! I highly recommend it to everyone!

o

I tried the peroxide/baking soda/dish soap formula last week after several unsuccessful days of trying to get a very strong cat urine smell out of a large area in our carpet. The blacklight I had purchased didn't show any urine spots, but the odor was very noticeable, which leads me to believe it was down below the surface.

I mixed up a batch of the solution and because I couldn't find an actual location, I skipped the spray bottle and just poured it all over the area straight out of the mixing bowl. I ended up making another half batch to cover the rest of the area. It bubbled up, bringing some interesting brownish funk to the surface. I blocked it off so the cats wouldn't go near the area and let it air dry.

By the next day, I could already tell that the smell was gone, even when I got down and smelled the carpet itself. I was cautiously optimistic, but that was a week ago, and there is still no odor. Our carpets are a beige/brown mottled pattern, and there was no damage to the carpet from the mixture.

Previously, I had tried Nature's Miracle, another liquid product that came with the black light, Carpetmate pet odor foam, and Glade pet odor vacuum powder. None of those products worked.

Thank you so much to the person who posted this "recipe!" It is the only thing that got the odor out!

o

I'm excited to try this recipe!! I am wondering though, if it will work on hard wood floors? I don't want to ruin the floors we have.

o

How would this work with laundry? I want to wash everything even the stuff not peed on but nearby. Do I have to lay the clothes out and spray on all of it soaking or is there a way to set this soaking in the washer?

o

I am so upset about my new settee, we have literally had it 3 months paid over �3000 for it and our 1 year old male cat (has been castrated) has peed twice on it through the night. I have read these posts before thinking that he may be stressed as we have been away recently and had friends look after him and our 3 month old kitten in our home and apparently they had to clean the carpet as he did the same thing. He constantly cries to be outside but we are trying to keep him a house cat as not only the flea situation if he goes out but the fact we live in the middle of fields. I was considering letting him out to chill him out a bit but I am frightened he will not come back as growing up any cat we had living here went missing and never returned. As much as my partner says he does'nt care if he does'nt come back I know he does as its his cat!
My settee is made from a cotton linen type material that is woven so I can not rub as it looks like it is going to bobble, the chair is a fixed base chair and none removable. I was thinking over trying this peroxide method but I am a bit too scared to try case it leaves a mark. Any advice much appreciated??

o

Two messages: First, as you know, there are a variety of reasons why cats spray in the house and urinate out of the box. A vet consult is good to eliminate the possibility of health problems. And you may save yourselves a lot of grief with ongoing clean-ups by learning as much as you can from this amazing man: Jackson Galaxy. I just discovered his show and have to share it with you. He knows how to make cats happy in their homes! Read about his TV show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Cat_from_Hell
And click on the link to his website at the bottom of the Wiki page.

Second, I removed cat spray odour from my blue jeans by saturating the area of the smell with a spray bottle filled with a mix of 1 cup cold water and 1/4 cup white vinegar. I let it sit about an hour, coming back to spray it twice during that time. Then I rinsed the area under cold running water for about 5 minutes. Smell 99% gone. Then I soaked the area in a small bucket half filled with cold water plus 3 cups of white vinegar (probably could have used less) for about 20 minutes and rinsed under the running tap again. The dirty vinegar water was yellow! Then washed in the machine with 7th Generation liquid detergent. Odour 100% eliminated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jackson Galaxy's TV Show

o

You have saved my carpet and my bank account!!! I'm a renter and recently 1 of my 5 cats decided he didn't like the litter box anymore and started peeing on the carpet, I have cleaned it myself over 40 times and was loosing hope in getting it out and having to replace the carpet so on a whim I tried this out because I was at the point of "it can't make it worse then it already is" and I am so glad I did!!! The smell is gone in almost no time, I treated a small area the first time and it made a HUGE difference so I finished treating the whole are today and I am happy to say that in just 30 minutes the smell is no longer there, I may have to treat it 1 more time to get the entire area and because I would rather treat a larger area so I don't miss anything but I have to say this truly does work!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

o

Loved the cat formula! Thank you so much for posting it! We are very grateful. We have two smart and well behaved cats who seemed not to like our being away for the night. When we came back, the smell of urine was very strong in an area of about 3x4 feet. We used the recipe as described. First we used the big neon black light we bought at Walmart for $10.xx that connects to any wall socket, to find the spots with cat's urin. Then, we poured and poured the liquid, (about 4 bottles of hydrogen peroxide of 32 ounces plus one of 16 ounces. For soap we used Palmolive antibiotic kitchen soap, and Walmart brand baking soda. ) We let the rug absorb the liquid overnight. The smell was gone, Hurray!

We placed two fans blowing on the area, and after 10 hours most of the spots had dried. As a precaution we conected citrus scent in the area so the cats won't be inclined to return to a familiar spot. I also sprayed the orange bottle citrus spray from Walmart on the floor boards to prevent the cats from returning there.

o

This is great and quick and useful as far as it goes. It kills the bacteria that are living off the urine and making the smell. BUT if you have a real disaster you may find the smell keeps coming back once the peroxide breaks down (which is fast), because if you don't get rid of the urine the bacteria will come back. Cat odor is a two part issue, the urine itself and the bacteria that live off it.

If that keeps happening, you may need to alternate treatments between vinegar and water (mildly acidic to break down the urine crystals, blot up as much of it as you can) and an enzyme cleaner (especially good if the problem area can't tolerate hydrogen peroxide). Don't alternate between peroxide and enzymes because enzymes are fragile. They'll tolerate the vinegar OK but not the peroxide.

This worked for me in an area where urine had completely soaked into untreated wood in a basement. The smell would have gagged a maggot.

If you want to get really creative and cheap you can buy digestive enzymes at a health food store and grind them up and mix them with a little water plus a little tiny bit of Dawn to break the surface tension of the solution and let it get to the urine. But get the kind with lipase, and amylase, not papaya.

o

Wow let me just say this formula is a LIFE SAVER! Our couch was stored in an old garage and a stray cat had peed ALL over one area and it dried and reeked of cat urine! after countless tries of cleaning my microfiber couch with a professional cleaner (bissel carpet cleaner) the smell just kept coming back, and even seemed to spread around to other areas with the machine. Then I saw this and figured I try it before throwing my couch out. It is like brand new now! I just mixed the solution (exact amounts) and poured it straight from the bottle all over the problem areas. I let it dry over night and by the next morning it was dry and there was absolutely no smell! Not to mention it didn't leave any marks or discoloration! Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this miracle formula! It made my couch like new!

o

I rescue cats and took in a female about to give birth. She had 4 kittens, and until they were litter trained, they were going on the floor all over the place. I always cleaned it right away, but kept smelling urine from next to the wall and realized the urine seeped under the baseboard and behind the wall. I have a steam cleaner and steamed and cleaned, but steamed so much the bottom of the walls started to get too soft. I kept sticking paper towels under the space, and kept getting more urine. I even cut off the bottom of the plaster. I can't believe how bad the urine smell is. The smell is almost gone, but if I get close enough tot he wall, I can still smell it and it is disgusting. My landlord will have a coronary if he finds out, he isn't too thrilled with the amount of cats I have (6). I need to put something under the wall in that space that will soak up the remainder of the urine and get rid of that horrible smell. I am going to try the peroxide, baking soda and dish soap tonight. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am going nuts and my kids are getting mad because up til now I always kept my home clean and free of odors, even with the cats. People who come over are always surprised I have cats because it didn't smell. Until now. I am embarrassed.

o

Dilute (or not) laundry bleach, directly onto hardwoods, is a lifesaver. I have even used it on my lovely dining room table when my old cat misbehaves and pees on it. Laundry bleach kills odors quite effectively. Caveat: I live in a carpet-free house. We have hardwoods throughout. I would love to have some luxurious accent carpets, but my old cat would pee the dickens out of them. He is very well behaved on hardwoods--I think most cats are--and on the rare occasion when he loses control of his bladder, paper towels and laundry bleach eliminate the odor very well. And the bleach does not hurt the finish of the wood. Unfortunately, I do not think carpet and cats mix well, particularly as the dear souls age into their dotage.

o

Wow!! This totally worked! I had been traveling a bunch and my cat decided to welcome me home with a present- a peed on couch. I tried EVERYTHING to get it out- Natures Miracle, white vinegar solutions, baking soda solutions, oxy-clean, lemon- I mean EVERYTHING. I thought I was going to have to throw out the couch!!
My sister-in-law sent me this link and I said ok- I'll try it. It was my last try before trashing the couch. It REALLY REALLY WORKS!! I can't believe it! I mean I am pressing nose into where she peed and nothing! No smell !!!
Just for people to compare: it is a microfiber couch- light color- foam cushions. There has been no bleaching that occurred. However, it did water stain as its microfiber but as in the past when water has been spilled on the couch I will just kindof brush/rub it out. Honestly when I tried I didn't even care if it bleached or stained I was so desperate. I poured the formula directly on the area, I didn't spray ( again that was the desperation talking).
Thanks again fr sharing this!! I am SO HAPPY that I saved the couch!

o

THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting this easy inexpensive Cat Urine Formula in 2006. You saved me $800 in 2013!!!
I'm referring to this posting:
Formula to get cat urine out permanently
Posted by todancewithwolves on Tue, Oct 31, 06 at 13:26

This formula works instantly and thoroughly and removes all smell!! It even removes the chemical smell of all those expensive formulas sold in pet stores and vets!! Again, many thanks!!
Note: I can use less detergent and it still works!

o

I know I'm late to the game but after reading all these posts I can't believe the somersaults everyone is going through to get rid of cat odor in carpets. I, probably more than anyone here, knows about the damage animals can do to a home. I saw first hand what can happen when my friend had to have her house demolished because it smelled so bad, even though it looked emaculate. Urine had gotten into the floor joist and nothing, short of demolishing, was going to eliminate the smell. Not wanting to go through the loss that she did, and not willing to give up my animals either, I came up with the best solution. I put linoleum down everywhere. Problem solved. Besides being extremely clean, it also is beautiful. And best yet, it was cheap, at around a buck a square foot. Whatever you do, do not use the store installer. Ask around for an independent. I paid a floorer a little over $400 to have the first floor done and a little over $600 for the upstairs, that's not counting the cost of the linoleum. Anyway, you can see the results for yourself.

o

Just wanted to add that dumping water on wood is not a good idea since the water will eventually rot the wood and destabilize a home.

o

My cat would not urinate outside whatever I do. Considering the fact that we leave in a house (not a flat) that is quite strange :(

o

So, I am just feeling like having her put down and take her out of her misery. She doesnt hardly every urinate or defacate in the litter box anymore and the box is clean and I have two boxes. I am tired of this. Anyone need a good barn cat or maybe I should put here down.?

o

We've use the OdoBan and other Odo--- products, but have found that once cat urine sinks into wood, wallboard, baseboards or even concrete, Kilz (available at most hardware / home improvement type stores) works better. It will seal in the odor and it's magically gone! Even our tomcat stopped spraying in those areas once we cleaned with bleach and then covered with 2 coats of Kilz.

Other than pulling up the rugs and treating as above then putting down either new carpet or new flooring, nothing has worked where tomcat odor is concerned.

Remember, cat urine is "hygroscopic." Wikipedia has a good article about hygroscopy. Basically, it means cat urine absorbs water and doesn't get washed out that way. As most of the cleaners involved contain water, guess what? The cat urine stays. Even if humans can't smell it, the cat(s) can. That's why cats will return a day, a week, a month, even a year after you think the area is clean!

So, read the labels of the cleaners from the pet stores - if there is water in it, it isn't going to help in the long run.

o

The one carpet that I had left in a room the cat went in and pee'd on it. I used the formula suggested with a wet dry vac and it got rid of the odor. I didn't soak the area as I didn't want to get the floor beneath wet. I simply sprayed and blotted then kept sucking it up with the wet vac. I now keep the door to that room closed - brrrrrrrr.....

o

Thanks for the recipe! I kept smelling something. Then figured out what it was. Darn it! Dried cat pee on the carpet. I doubled the recipe and poured it straight onto the carpet. I can't smell it in my house anymore. Didn't do any damage to my light carpet. So, I'd say works great.

This post was edited by Dream_Catcher1 on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 17:21

o

My cat just peed my new my couch! I'm trying this recipe
& pray it works. Can't afford new couches & it's on the
Backrest part which is not removable & the seat cushion. Need to find me some gallon jugs of hydrogen peroxide! USD it works then I'll make larger batches & use it on my carpets upstairs where not only the cat but the dogs pee. I Sooo badly want to rip out the carpet & just walk in the plywood.... I think it would be better than walking on whatever is living that carpet! But plywood needs to be replaced when animals use it for a toilet.

o

Lexi, Walmart sells a mini wet dry vac. Works great to remove all the water you're going to soak into your couch and the couch dries much faster. Also, I ripped up all my carpet and put down Linoleum that I got from lowes for 1.17 a sq. ft. It looks gorgeous, just like real wood and cleanup is a breeze. Best yet, I don't have to worry about rotting the floors underneath carpeting anymore. And the guy who put it down said that this new kind of linoleum can last up to 60 years. How great is that? If you decide to get it from Lowes don't use their installers but call a local flooring company and ask for the names independent contractors. All the local businesses were more than willing to do that even though I didn't purchase the product from them. Lowes wanted 1,600 to install. A private floorer charged me 580.00. That's a huge difference. I'm uploading a pic for you too see how well it came out and how much cleaner everything looks. No more yellow and brown stains on the carpet.

Here is a link that might be useful: IVC 13' Navarra 744 wood low gloss sheet vinyl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here