Return to the Pet Debates Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cat or dog?

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 9, 06 at 13:06

Hi there! Just wondering if you could only have one, what would it be? I am certainly a cat person. Nothing against dogs, I just prefer cats. Dogs are hyper and require walking many times a day. They are loud and as a rule more destructive than cats. Cats are just purrfect! Quiet (one meow is a lot fewer decibels than one bark, and meows aren't typically as frequent), peaceful, use the litter box (unless there is an emotional or physical problem)... their fur is soft instead of coarse. I know these are generalizations and that there are exceptions. I just think cats are the best pet/friend that anyone could ever have! What do YOU think? Thanks... look forward to your responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cat or dog?

Dog. Have both, but cats can be aloof and only want to be lovey when they are in the mood. My dogs always are lovey, laid back and basically my best buds. Not hyper at all. In fact, my middle guy literally sleeps with his head on my pillow. He and the youngest have started a little competition to get the spot. Too cute. I fall asleep with my arm around him and it is really peaceful. DH thinks it is a little funny, but he is just as in love with my 3 labs as me. Dogs are not much trouble so long as they get outside time to exercise and good food. Bonus would be no more litter box. That I could live without.

o

it's funny- what most people dislike about cats is what I love most - they're just like people, moody and caught up in their own little worlds, so having them play with you or want your attention feels like an accomplishment :)

if I could only have one pet, it would definately be a cat - one dog is a lonesome thing, one cat can at least figure out how to turn on the TV by itself ;)

o

Cats, generally, do not play fetch :)

BTW, not all dogs have coarse fur.

o

Dogs. I am deathly allergic to cat dander. Dogs are needy and I love to nuture and be loved. It helps with the empty nest syndrome. My dogs are my constant companion. I have had two heart attacks and a slight stroke and my aussie never leaves my side, she even lays down beside the tub when I take a bath. My guardian angel. We even bought a california king bed for our two dogs and us.

o

I have both but if I could only have one it would be a cat. Don't get me wrong, I love my dog to death but it's like having another child in the house. It would be nice not to have to plan all our vacations a year in advance. There is only one place that I'll board my dog when we go away and we have to book far in advance. I can have my neighbor's kid come over, feed and play with the cats for a short time. No walks required and they don't get terribly depressed when their human is gone for an extended period. Yes, they seem to be happy when we get home, especially when we've been gone for a week or two but my dog would be a mess if she was left alone for that amount of time.
Karyn

PS: Both of my cats play fetch with balls of foil and yes, they bring them back to you to be thrown again.

o

My cat plays fetch with pieces of lunch meat, he looks hilarious, in fact it looks almost human, 'cause he stands up on his back legs and snags it with a paw before stuffing it in his mouth.
I don't want to choose between them, but I would say dog. my cat acts enough like a dog I guess, he races my dog for top position on my pillow too, alot of mornings I wake up with 30lb of cat laying across my head, poor little 6 lb dog relagated to my side.

o

I really prefer the unconditional love that a dog gives. And if I didn't work full-time, I would have a small to medium size dog for sure. But at present, we are at home less than I feel is necessary to care for a dog and really give it the exercise and interaction it would need. So I content myself with my kitties. They are more self sufficient: they can entertain themselves, don't need to be taken outside to go potty, etc.

Each personality is different, though. I have one that I know loves me, but hates to be held. He can only take about 10 seconds before he starts begging to be put down. Another is just the most cuddly thing alive.

I still hope to have another dog someday. Maybe when I retire.................

o

Thank goodness I don't have to choose!!! I wouldn't want to be without my dog or my cat :)

o

A Dog's Diary

7 am - Oh boy! A walk! My favorite!

8 am - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!
9 am - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

Noon - Oh boy! The yard! My favorite!

2 pm - Oh boy! A car ride! My favorite!

3 pm - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

4 pm - Oh boy! Playing ball! My favorite!

6 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Mom! My favorite!

7 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favorite!

8 pm - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 pm - Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favorite!

11 pm - Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favorite!

A Cat's Diary

Day 183 of my captivity.

My captors continued to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from clawing the furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded. Maybe I should try this at the top of the stairs.

In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair. I must try this on their bed.
Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little kitty cat I was....This is not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More important, I overheard that my confinement was due to my powers of inducing something called "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit.

The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He speaks with them regularly, and I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured. But I can wait.

It's only a matter of time.

o

Tough one! I love dogs and long to have one but our lifestyle (aka working too much!) just doesn't allow it so we have the next best thing....Maine Coon cats, they think they are dogs.

o

todancewithwolves... I laughed all the way through... how funny!!!

o

Glad I don't have to choose either. I have both. 2 dogs and now 3 cats. If I could only have one it would be a dog. The love and adoration and snuggling in the bed is what I'd miss the most without a dog.

o

Too cute, todance.
We have 4 big puppies and just adore and enjoy all of them.
Each one is so unique and special. My baby is 15 and doing good and our other 3 are 7, 6, and 3. I never thought we would have more than 1 dog at a time, but the others came by default and we love them. Our 6 year old was abondoned, the 7 year old was my mother's till she passed and our 3 year old lost his home during Hurricane Rita.
They are good house dogs and I have a good vacuum and a doggy door which comes in handy. :) I like cats also, we used to have one for over 10 years, but I still have reminders on my furniture where he clawed his way down to the floor and where he sharpened his claws on my love seat. His name was Joe and we called him the Cool Cat, it was sad when we lost him.
I don't think we will have another kitty anytime soon because of the clawing they do.
Here are pictures of our pups.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I don't have a good pic of Isa my 15 year old on this comp.
Good day all,
Christy

o

Beautiful dogs! and rightly so you should be proud of them.

Have you heard of Dogster.com. A free site to create a webpage for your dogs. Catser.com is for cats.

My boys are in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The boys

o

Hi, Thank you. No, I haven't heard of Dogster.com, I will have to check it out.
Just did!
Wow, your pups are adorable! I never thought about doing a page on them, that would be alot of fun.
Thanks, Christy

o
RE: dog or cat?

I went to your page, the first time I saw the pictures and thought they were sooo adorable, but then I read it and I cried and laughed over the thoughts of Quinton. You did a beautiful job with portraying his feelings and thoughts.
Very nice, Christy

o

Thank you Christy. I hope you laughed more than cried. Quinton is such a brat and full of trouble, at times he drives me crazy but I love him all the same.

Edna

o

I am so for cats. Dogs bark which I find annoying, jump on you, lick, poop in the yard, pee in the yard (which kills the grass), pant with their mouth hanging open all the time and most annoying of all -- are OBSESSED with food and are always begging. They also always want attention -- with two small children I simply would not be able to handle that.

Dogs that shed (the non-poodle type) shed much worse then cats (that dry, coarse hair). My kitty sheds very little but his fur is soft and silky and the "tufts" are easy to pick up off the carpet. My sister's greyhound mix sheds worse then her two medium haired cats.

This is all based on my experience of moving in with my DH who had both a cat and dog. There is nothing sweeter then having a cat curled up on your lap.

o

AMEN Livvysmom!!! Ditto to everything you said :O)

o

I've never had to choose. Always had both. However, come to think of it, I must like dogs more. My favorite cats, during my lifetime, were ones that acted more like dogs than cats. :-)

o

Cats, most definitely, and I have eight. I have had two dogs and while I loved them, nothing takes the place of a cat. In fact some of my cats are more affectionate than the dogs. We had to plan our life around the dog. Had to go home to let the dog out and w/ cats I can go away for two days w/ enough food and water. You can bury your nose in their fur and smell nothing. All dogs have a doggy smell..some worse than others. Cats have bad habits such as scratching but dogs are like having a toddler around..No question .Cats rule.

o

That's a really tough one.

I've got two dogs right now. My bestest buddies in the whole world. I can't imagine life without them.

But I grew up with cats...

I think, given that I work, if I could only have 1, it would have to be a cat.

Cats aren't pack animals, dogs are.

The ONLY reason I have two dogs is because my collie simply was not doing well at all being home by herself during the day.

So, I got my second dog as a companion for the first one when I'm not at home.

o

I think they key is to finding the correct breed of dog for your personality.

BTW: I have had cats (no longer, DH is severely allergic) and have dogs now.

The cats were definitely lower maintenance, but they seemed to have more health problems. And went off their litter box when anything stressed them out. They were indoor cats only. I did not like the fact that sometimes the cats would get "freaky" and nip you for absolutely no reason, like while you are petting them. And they shed way more than my dogs did. But I do miss having a "mouser" in our house and having a lap warmer.

Dogs - good but you must work at training them. They are good for watchdogs. And it is fun to walk your dog and great exercise. My dog is currently too old to walk anymore and I really miss it. And dogs are cool because you can teach them tricks.

There are pros and cons to both.

I agree for a younger dog left alone a lot, a doggie companion helps a lot. They love to play together.

o

God forbid, I couldn't choose between the two!! However, even though I would prefer a cat because they are so easy to care for, I'd pick the dog because I've become use to having a body guard at all times. In this day and age, it gives me a great sense of security.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pet Debates Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here